Would programs care at all about me having an intern year position interview in the same area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derminterview

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an east coast student who just got an interview to a west coast TY, would it be possible at all to try and email some derm programs in the area expressing my interest and that I am already in the area? Especially because given my location in the east, there might be some regional bias anyways that would prevent me from even being considered?

I am pretty much assuming the answer is no, but thought I'd get another opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

As an east coast student who just got an interview to a west coast TY, would it be possible at all to try and email some derm programs in the area expressing my interest and that I am already in the area? Especially because given my location in the east, there might be some regional bias anyways that would prevent me from even being considered?

I am pretty much assuming the answer is no, but thought I'd get another opinion.

I would say the answer is no.

I think the opposite could be appropriate (in other words...assuming you get an interview at lets say...UCLA derm...you could contact ucla-harbor or ucla-olive view to request a prelim interview). There are even some prelim programs (I.e. U Washington) that specifically sent me an email that I could only schedule a prelim interview if I got a same institution derm interview.

But... I don't think any west coast derm program is going to care that you're interviewing at a west coast prelim program.

Slash its probably even unlikely your prelim interview will coincide with most California derm interviews as I think they mainly take place in January once most prelim interviews are over.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, um, no. Derm programs aren't going to care that you got an internship year interview it's irrelevant as far as what they need to do. Realize people aren't just doing TY but also prelims in Surgery, IM, and Peds as well. I could see the opposite as working, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably even more so no since it's a TY.
Oh lol! That's right there are still old-school derm programs that look down on residents taking transitional years vs. a prelim year which is considered more rigorous. Didn't know they still latched onto that.

Yeah that makes sense guys, thanks!

My main reason for asking was more so to show different regions of the country that I am interested in moving there. I mean it would be awesome if I could get interviews to correlate, but this isn't even a primary concern. I would just love to move out west and I know those programs are highly sought after anyways, but me coming from the southeast would make it even harder for me. I was hoping that showing them I want to do an intern year in the area would at least increase the chances of them even considering my application.

But I got my answer lol, thanks!

Yeah that makes sense guys, thanks!

My main reason for asking was more so to show different regions of the country that I am interested in moving there. I mean it would be awesome if I could get interviews to correlate, but this isn't even a primary concern. I would just love to move out west and I know those programs are highly sought after anyways, but me coming from the southeast would make it even harder for me. I was hoping that showing them I want to do an intern year in the area would at least increase the chances of them even considering my application.

But I got my answer lol, thanks!
In general, your dermatology advanced program could care less where you do your internship - it could be in the Dakotas for all they care. It's completely separate and all your advanced program cares is that you completed an internship whether that be a transitional or a prelim.

For others here, the main way to geographically break into a place that your medical school normally would not be able to is either 1) do an audition elective at the program or in that region, 2) say this in your personal statement - i.e. have family there, etc., (although the yield on this is quite low if at all, bc it's a seller's market) or 3) do a year of research there.