would security situation in Israel stop you from going to sackler/technion/bgu??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dondon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does the security situation in Israel make you think twice about going to sackler/technion/bgu???

Members don't see this ad.

It would not stop me, if anything it makes me want to go even more.
Do a good deed in memory of the victims from the Terrorist Attack at Mercaz HaRav Yeshiva.

If you have any uncertainty about going to Israel to study medicine, then I'd advice you to not go... there are plenty of people that will gladly take your spot.. you have to realize that the middle east is a volatile environment and things can change very quickly... you will be studying for four years in Israel and you have to be prepared for events like last night to happen from time to time.

The August that I came to Israel to start school was at the end of the Second Lebanon War. Although my parents were hesitant until the war ended, I never second-guessed my decision for a second.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats like me asking
would you not go to Wayne State University because its in Detroit
or GW cause its in DC

two cities with far more crime and violent death

but anyways, its not dangerous here in Be'er Sheva, out of all the students we have ever had, none of them have ever been kidnapped, held hostage, tortured, or killed

its safe, you just have to be smart, like don't go to Gaza at all, or the West Bank unsupervised (cause we go with PHR)

Izzy

im curious as to what kind of resistance (if any) your family put up against moving to israel for school.

obviously not enough, if they offered to pay for it... the only one who didn't want me going was my uncle who's an i. banker... but he didn't want me going to medical school in the first place

im still not sure my parents know im here :)

no but seriously have your parents put down the remote control turn off the ted turner run liberally biased media and call your cable company to cancel fox news, cnn, and anything like that

listen to NPR, or go to haaretz.com or Jpost.com, you will find in most of these news outlets little mention of terrorist activity in tel aviv israel or haifa

we did have a suicide bomber near the bus station our first summer here in beer sheva, but we coincidentally were all partying in tel aviv and no one was close to it

beer sheva is a small city, so i dont think hamas, hezbollah, islamin jihad, or any other of those groups are painting target signs down here, especially considering that Soroka treats a large number of palestinians, but then again you never know, you have to be smart if you are here, dont go anywhere where there arent secuirty guards, avoid inner city buses (city to city busses are totally safe), and you will be fine

izzy

I have been living here for a few months and have been informed that statistically speaking, I have a higher chance of dying in a car accident than a terrorist attack. Most medical students will be in a library or classroom for the majority of the day. Fortunately, we are not teenagers studying in a yeshiva, targeted by a 25-year-old Palestinian with 600 AK-47 rounds. I saw the library of this yeshiva with my own two eyes. Not a pretty site. This was the equivalent to a US school shooting. An inner city school such as University of Chicago would be more of a security threat than attending Technion, BGU, or Sackler. Drugs are not as big of a problem in Israel, so you do not have to worry about muggers. Sackler is tucked away from downtown Tel Aviv. Technion is adjacent to the Rambam Medical Center and is tucked away with in a highly guarded area. I can not speak for BGU.

I have been living here for a few months and have been informed that statistically speaking, I have a higher chance of dying in a car accident than a terrorist attack. Most medical students will be in a library or classroom for the majority of the day. Fortunately, we are not teenagers studying in a yeshiva, targeted by a 25-year-old Palestinian with 600 AK-47 rounds. I saw the library of this yeshiva with my own two eyes. Not a pretty site. This was the equivalent to a US school shooting. An inner city school such as University of Chicago would be more of a security threat than attending Technion, BGU, or Sackler. Drugs are not as big of a problem in Israel, so you do not have to worry about muggers. Sackler is tucked away from downtown Tel Aviv. Technion is adjacent to the Rambam Medical Center and is tucked away with in a highly guarded area. I can not speak for BGU.

HAHAHAHA BGU is tucked away in Be'er Sheva, but shhhhhhhh dont tell the terrorists that, actually security at all these places is wicked good, i mean we have metal detectors at every entrance and guards that wont even think of letting you pass without a strip search, unless of course you have the proper id badge

HAHAHAHA BGU is tucked away in Be'er Sheva, but shhhhhhhh dont tell the terrorists that, actually security at all these places is wicked good, i mean we have metal detectors at every entrance and guards that wont even think of letting you pass without a strip search, unless of course you have the proper id badge

well, im "tight" with this security guard at one of the gates to my school.. all i have to say is the magic word "shalom" and with a head nod he lets me and my backpack through w/o a search... i guess i don't fit the profile

i'm pretty sure everyone gets in that way...youre not getting any special treatment..although i'm sure you wish you did

jokes aside....i go into tel aviv a lot via bus...but i've been trying to bike into the city more often just to cut down on my bus usage (mom and dad are worried)...the bike ride is less than 30 mins from campus...plus there are taxis (they do try to scam you if you speak english b/c they assume youre a tourist and dont know where to go...its always entertaining to yell at them when youre drunk and want to get to a bar quicker)

the media has nothing else to do but paint a bad picture

i'm pretty sure everyone gets in that way...youre not getting any special treatment..although i'm sure you wish you did

jokes aside....i go into tel aviv a lot via bus...but i've been trying to bike into the city more often just to cut down on my bus usage (mom and dad are worried)...the bike ride is less than 30 mins from campus...plus there are taxis (they do try to scam you if you speak english b/c they assume youre a tourist and dont know where to go...its always entertaining to yell at them when youre drunk and want to get to a bar quicker)

the media has nothing else to do but paint a bad picture

incorrect wiscobadger... try entering through gate 1... YOU will get stopped..

but getting back on subject (as opposed to talking about drinking and yelling at cab drivers), public transportation in Israel is safe. It is true that intracity buses are the ones that have been targeted in the past (since intercity buses are boarded at central bus stations where you have to pass through security), but you have a much greater chance of dying in a traffic accident while sitting in a cab.

It's like deaths associated with traveling in a plane versus a car. You'll never hear someone say, "Have a safe drive" even though you are more likely to die in that form of transportation. The bottom line is that one has to be vigilant. But this is no different than being in any city within the US. You have to be aware of your surroundings and your belongings.