Would this be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DenTony11235

I'm trying to answer the questions of "why this school"...

I've watched several videos on the departments of the school in question, and am citing the specific doctors name that was in the video, in my response. Would that be ok?

I don't see a problem with it, but maybe there is one i dont know about?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, med schools don't like stalkers.

Depends on what you say. Are you asking if it's okay to reference this doctor's name? Sure, there's no problem. But what exactly about these videos makes you able to demonstrate that you're a good fit for this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd have better luck with citing and complimenting the adcoms instead of the doctors.

Well I watched a few videos, such as professors introducing tier departments and their research, and mentioned that they seemed to be great speakers and this probably good professors. I mentioned the professors by name since they request we be as specific as possible and it didn't sound as good without their names in there.

Depends on what you say. Are you asking if it's okay to reference this doctor's name? Sure, there's no problem. But what exactly about these videos makes you able to demonstrate that you're a good fit for this school?

^^ forgot to quote you

Well I watched a few videos, such as professors introducing tier departments and their research, and mentioned that they seemed to be great speakers and this probably good professors. I mentioned the professors by name since they request we be as specific as possible and it didn't sound as good without their names in there.

Yeah you need to find a different thing to write about...

Reactions: 1 user
When writing a response to the "why this school" question, you want to demonstrate at least 1) what you think distinguishes this school from others, and 2) why you will fit at the school and how the school fits you. Literally, out of all the med schools out there, what (beyond stats and location) made you pick this school to apply to?

For #1, it doesn't have to be something completely unique. Obviously there are similarities between med schools. But every school has good professors. That's not something that you base your choice around, especially since you can't get a sense of how good of a teacher they are just from watching a video.

When writing a response to the "why this school" question, you want to demonstrate at least 1) what you think distinguishes this school from others, and 2) why you will fit at the school and how the school fits you. Literally, out of all the med schools out there, what (beyond stats and location) made you pick this school to apply to?

For #1, it doesn't have to be something completely unique. Obviously there are similarities between med schools. But every school has good professors. That's not something that you base your choice around, especially since you can't get a sense of how good of a teacher they are just from watching a video.

I agree. I actually edited out the specific names and made it sound even better. Great points, thanks for sharing.