Would this be disadvantaged status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moemoekyun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would I say I'm disadvantaged if:
-Parents separated at 14
-Family income was generally less than $25000, had free lunch in school, and family used food stamps for a year.
-Generally just poor. One of my friend's who's a retired engineer tells me about other people going to (non medical) schools, and says that I can tell the story that I don't have a silver spoon, and I still made do with what I have to earn a 3.5 biomed degree and 35 old MCAT.
On the other hand, outside of not going on vacations and joining after school clubs, my life has been relatively ok. My mom is thrifty, and outside of the challenges of my parents' separating, we've been in good health and mood. She also told me that only the rich, and those who can afford it, are more accepted at med school for status and other things.
So I don't "feel" disadvantaged, but should I put it down anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a lengthy discussion about this with LizzyM on another thread yesterday (you can probably check my post history for it), her advice in a nutshell was that it is circumstantial and depends entirely on how it affected YOU. Growing up, did you FEEL disadvantaged? If asked about it, can you successfully defend your stance on how your life experiences put you at a disadvantage compared to other applicants? If you answered yes to these two, I'd say sure put it. But if you're doing it for the sake of milking it out to get into med school, probably not.

I had a lengthy discussion about this with LizzyM on another thread yesterday (you can probably check my post history for it), her advice in a nutshell was that it is circumstantial and depends entirely on how it affected YOU. Growing up, did you FEEL disadvantaged? If asked about it, can you successfully defend your stance on how your life experiences put you at a disadvantage compared to other applicants? If you answered yes to these two, I'd say sure put it. But if you're doing it for the sake of milking it out to get into med school, probably not.

I just looked over your posts. I guess I'll go with not disadvantaged, as I never felt disadvantaged, though I could have been more financially comfortable. My area is relatively well off, healthcare was accessible, and my hs had good stuff to prepare me for college. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't "feel" disadvantaged, but should I put it down anyways?

If you don't feel disadvantaged, why would you want it reflected in your application? Interviewers would likely ask about how your disadvantaged status has turned you into the student you are today. If you feel it is an important part of your life, but has not necessarily been debilitating, then discuss it in your personal statement in terms of how it's developed you personally, rather than how it's held you back.

Regardless of what you decide, the tone should be triumph (without overdoing it too much), not sulking and throwing a pity-party (I mean this in the nicest way possible, since you seem very level-headed and are just listing your background to give us perspective).

Knowing $25k would not fly in my childhood neighborhood, I think it could be an interesting story!

edit: if you have a perspective on restricted access to healthcare, that could be useful too (but don't fake it obviously)

If you don't feel disadvantaged, why would you want it reflected in your application? Interviewers would likely ask about how your disadvantaged status has turned you into the student you are today. If you feel it is an important part of your life, but has not necessarily been debilitating, then discuss it in your personal statement in terms of how it's developed you personally, rather than how it's held you back.

Regardless of what you decide, the tone should be triumph (without overdoing it too much), not sulking and throwing a pity-party (I mean this in the nicest way possible, since you seem very level-headed and are just listing your background to give us perspective).

Knowing $25k would not fly in my childhood neighborhood, I think it could be an interesting story!

edit: if you have a perspective on restricted access to healthcare, that could be useful too (but don't fake it obviously)

I wanted to see what others thought about it. If anything, I didn't want to say I'm not disadvantaged, but my personal information would look like I was. As I have said, outside of not having a phone, tv, etc, my life has been fine, and motivated me to do well in school to move up. I wasn't trying to sound like I was sulking, just that I grew up poor. I don't think it's too interesting a story to tell. After parents separated, lived with mom in small apartment, and we had some lucky breaks. One thing that sort of sucked though was that I tried to go into my city's job training program, but I wasn't poor enough to qualify (just above the line) :/. Also, healthcare wasn't restricted, so there's not much to say about that. Thanks for your input, I'll put this in a good light.

I think if your family income falls under the national poverty level, you're very safe with checking "disadvantaged". Of course, you should always word your situation in a positive light, in such a way that you showcase the resilience and resourcefulness you developed as a result. In clinical environments, I assume your upbringing helped you emphasize and connect with working class families, and that can be subtle point to bring into your personal statement even if you chose not to formally put down "disadvantaged".

Even if there are only two people in your family, your family income is less than twice the poverty level, which qualifies you as "low income".

Considering your circumstances I'd check it. You are already going to be labeled as disadvantaged automatically assuming your parents didn't go to college. You will be surprised how different your socioeconomic background is from many of your peers going to medical school, and you'll understand why you are considered "disadvantaged" even if you don't necessarily feel that it held you back.

I think if your family income falls under the national poverty level, you're very safe with checking "disadvantaged". Of course, you should always word your situation in a positive light, in such a way that you showcase the resilience and resourcefulness you developed as a result. In clinical environments, I assume your upbringing helped you emphasize and connect with working class families, and that can be subtle point to bring into your personal statement even if you chose not to formally put down "disadvantaged".
Haven't thought about it like that. Like I said, I wasn't sure that being under the poverty level was enough to be disadvantaged. I was under the impression that disadvantaged meant no hospitals, clinics, poorly funded school, etc.

Even if there are only two people in your family, your family income is less than twice the poverty level, which qualifies you as "low income".
There's 4, and I thought the poverty level for a family of 4 was $24,250, which my family is still below.

Considering your circumstances I'd check it. You are already going to be labeled as disadvantaged automatically assuming your parents didn't go to college. You will be surprised how different your socioeconomic background is from many of your peers going to medical school, and you'll understand why you are considered "disadvantaged" even if you don't necessarily feel that it held you back.
What if my mom went to college. She doesn't make much above minimum wage. My undergrad I saw how different my background was from others, but I didn't feel at a disadvantage (granted I worked during college, and didn't have as many study tools, but I got by alright). I see your point though.

What if my mom went to college. She doesn't make much above minimum wage. My undergrad I saw how different my background was from others, but I didn't feel at a disadvantage (granted I worked during college, and didn't have as many study tools, but I got by alright). I see your point though.

I didn't know they did this when you apply, but the AMCAS app uses your parents info (occupation+education) as a another way to see if you're disadvantaged. In other words, even if you don't outright mark yourself as disadvantaged, chances are you would be categorized as such based on your background.

https://www.aamc.org/download/351766/data/amcassesdisadvantagedindicator.pdf

Mark yourself as disadvantaged, because whether or not you realize it, you probably have a perspective of life different from the average premed, one valuable enough to med schools that they want it represented in their class.

I didn't know they did this when you apply, but the AMCAS app uses your parents info (occupation+education) as a another way to see if you're disadvantaged. In other words, even if you don't outright mark yourself as disadvantaged, chances are you would be categorized as such based on your background.

https://www.aamc.org/download/351766/data/amcassesdisadvantagedindicator.pdf

Mark yourself as disadvantaged, because whether or not you realize it, you probably have a perspective of life different from the average premed, one valuable enough to med schools that they want it represented in their class.
I actually remember seeing this chart (I think in the manual). Thanks for your input and everyone else's. This is stuff I've haven't really thought about till now.

I typed up a disadvantage essay, and curious if anyone would like to read and offer feedback. Mainly that what I bring up is appropriate and everything.

@moemoekyun, I can take a look. I'm also applying as disadvantaged this cycle. Perhaps we can trade essays and share feedback

I had similar circumstances, and I'm not checking disadvantaged. After reading on here, I just don't think that the adcoms have enough SE diversity to non-judgementally evaluate Disadvantaged statements.
In general, you'll find most normal people advising you to check it, but if the adcoms respond, odds are they'll advise the opposite. To me, that says something. It says that the disadvantaged box is not being read the same by applicants and adcom members. I do not want to take that risk. LizzyM even had a post where she described fellow adcoms as viewing the disadvantaged statement as asking for a pity party, even if it was justified.

Your income level for childhood will be visible on your app. I'd let that speak for you...it's what I'm doing. It shouldn't be this way, but you have to play the game that exists, not the one you wish existed. :shrug:

@moemoekyun, I can take a look. I'm also applying as disadvantaged this cycle. Perhaps we can trade essays and share feedback
PM'd you.
I had similar circumstances, and I'm not checking disadvantaged. After reading on here, I just don't think that the adcoms have enough SE diversity to non-judgementally evaluate Disadvantaged statements.
In general, you'll find most normal people advising you to check it, but if the adcoms respond, odds are they'll advise the opposite. To me, that says something. It says that the disadvantaged box is not being read the same by applicants and adcom members. I do not want to take that risk. LizzyM even had a post where she described fellow adcoms as viewing the disadvantaged statement as asking for a pity party, even if it was justified.

Your income level for childhood will be visible on your app. I'd let that speak for you...it's what I'm doing. It shouldn't be this way, but you have to play the game that exists, not the one you wish existed. :shrug:
I know, I'm going back and forth on this. I initially don't want to, as I feel disadvantaged means those who had little access to healthcare, and poorly funded schools. Though I could've been more financially comfortable, and went through rough times, my city had good schools and cheap housing, so if anything I'm better off than others applying.

I know, I'm going back and forth on this. I initially don't want to, as I feel disadvantaged means those who had little access to healthcare, and poorly funded schools. Though I could've been more financially comfortable, and went through rough times, my city had good schools and cheap housing, so if anything I'm better off than others applying.
I'm not worried about whether I actually qualify as disadvantaged. I'm worried about the seemingly inconsistent reactions of adcoms to the section. I'll just write about my background under diversity :shrug:

In the same boat as @mehc012; >24k income, medically underserved area, first gen college student, ESL.

Not claiming disadvantaged because my entire essay would essentially be talking about all of the things I mentioned above that they already had access to. So it would just come off as a pity party. In my opinion, true disadvantages would be things that couldn't be seen from looking at childhood demographic data-- teenage mothers, abusive families, etc.

In the same boat as @mehc012; >24k income, medically underserved area, first gen college student, ESL.

Not claiming disadvantaged because my entire essay would essentially be talking about all of the things I mentioned above that they already had access to. So it would just come off as a pity party. In my opinion, true disadvantages would be things that couldn't be seen from looking at childhood demographic data-- teenage mothers, abusive families, etc.
You mean '<'?
Speaking as the child of a teenage mother, it's not necessarily disadvantageous (growing up with my dad around would have been worse), but it does make the demographic data a bit harder to interpret.

"What was your income during the majority of your childhood?"
That's simple - it asks for my status during the time they care about.
"What is the highest educational level of your parent?"
This question is based upon an assumption - it assumes that your parents achieved their educational goals before you grew up. If that's not true, your answer may be incongruous with the timeframe they actually care about (and therefore, also the income question above).

And so on.