Would this count as clinical experience for PA school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaredP1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in PA school. I have completed my undergrad coursework and received my Bachelor of Science in Biology. I know that the fundamental concept of a PA is that you have prior clinical experience upon applying. I have not had a job as an EMT, ED tech, or anything along those lines, although I have volunteered in the emergency department for a little more than two years. I have had a great deal of patient contact and have been able to observe the workings of the ER (I know, I know, it isn't the same as having the job). Would PA schools take this into strong consideration? Thank you in advance for you input.

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to check out the specific schools you are interested in. Some schools accept volunteering as clinical experience while others want paid experience that requires a certificate or a degree.

Some schools require experience, some recommend it, and others don't care.

Most school websites will give you detailed information on their specific requirements for experience if they have any.

As the previous poster said, it varies from program to program. you can go to www.aapa.org and check out the list of the 140 programs to see what you might be interested in. As far as a local program in KY goes, the Lexington program doesn't require experience.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/pa/faq.htm#requirements

Members don't see this ad :)
As the previous poster said, it varies from program to program. you can go to www.aapa.org and check out the list of the 140 programs to see what you might be interested in. As far as a local program in KY goes, the Lexington program doesn't require experience.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/pa/faq.htm#requirements
141 now:). Seriously, take a look at the PA forum. There are a lot of posts on this subject.
www.physicianassistantforum.com
There is a sticky in the PA student section that divides programs depending on whether or not they require experience. Bottom line is that you will have more options with experience. You will have even more options with paid experience. I can think of only one program that will consider experience a hindrance.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I really appreciate each of your responses, they are all very helpful. I am going through everything you posted and will continue to do so tomorrow. I am glad you all were willing to give some honest and useful advice. :)

Hello, i also was looking into PA school. I am still an undergrad and was trying to find others that could share some personal experience and opinions about why they chose PA over taking the dive into medical school. Why did you choose one over the other, aside from the obvious years/training/cost