Would This Help or Hurt My Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorldWiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that letting slip that you're interested in PhD research when you're applying to med school essentially guarantees your rejection, so is it the same deal with a medicine-related business venture? Part of the reason I'm considering a business venture is that I'm finding absolutely no good work opportunities, and I know that being idle for the entire time between now and med school interviews is terrible. However, my concern is that a real business venture would suggest considerable dedication to the venture, and that that would likely suggest to adcoms that I'm more interested in business than in medicine, even if the venture is medicine-related. On the other hand is the possibility that a business venture would make me stand out as a unique applicant. Any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should bring it up if the school you are applying to has a MD/MBA program or has really shown an expectation of innovations and business-minded thinking. However I just cannot see an AdCom having a good reaction if you dwell on the business related side of medicine as they all come from an MD background. In fact they may even have a stigma against business as with their own history and relationships with hospital administrations, and the like.

I've heard that letting slip that you're interested in PhD research when you're applying to med school essentially guarantees your rejection, so is it the same deal with a medicine-related business venture? Part of the reason I'm considering a business venture is that I'm finding absolutely no good work opportunities, and I know that being idle for the entire time between now and med school interviews is terrible. However, my concern is that a real business venture would suggest considerable dedication to the venture, and that that would likely suggest to adcoms that I'm more interested in business than in medicine, even if the venture is medicine-related. On the other hand is the possibility that a business venture would make me stand out as a unique applicant. Any advice? Thanks.

Where in the heck did you hear that?? That's absolutely false

If you have an interesting and unique business venture that you can talk about passionately, it can definitely make your application stand out. Don't be afraid to talk about it.