Would this job count as HCE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcewhatdo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for a job in the psychiatric department of a large city hospital. My job would be to work at the front desk and register patients as they walk in, handle their discharges, schedule follow up appoints, etc. While this job is very much a clerical job, I would be interacting with the patients every day. It would also be my job to conduct over-the-phone initial psychological assessments of patients before they come in for their initial appointment. Would the phone evaluations count in any way?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My 0.02 would be no it is not hands on health care experience PA schools are looking form. Possibly might be viewed similarly as being an ED scribe, where you interact with patients but do not provide any hands on care.

no, this is a receptionist position, not direct pt care, sorry.

Exactly what the others said. It is clerical work, not patient care.

You can always apply to PA programs which do not emphasize patient care experience, but you'll still need something more direct involving patients on the other side of the registration desk.