Would this make a difference in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd989898

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying MD/PhD this cycle and I have 3 LORS (two are from PIs and one from a science professor). This summer, I did an REU program that will be finishing up in ~2 weeks. Would it help to ask my program coordinator for a LOR to add to my applications? I think I made a pretty good impression, and I sort of feel like 3 letters is a bit low.

Thanks in advance for input.

Members don't see this ad.

You should look at LOR requirements for the schools you will be applying to. When I applied, all of my schools required that I submit letters from 2 science professors I had taken classroom-based courses with and 1 letter from a non-science professor I had taken a course with. They requested up to 2 additional letters, which I used for my PIs.

Bases on what you've said, there is a good chance you will need to hunt down additional letters from professors to meet MD program requirements. Another letter from the REU program wouldn't hurt, but it may not be the letter you need most.

You should look at LOR requirements for the schools you will be applying to. When I applied, all of my schools required that I submit letters from 2 science professors I had taken classroom-based courses with and 1 letter from a non-science professor I had taken a course with. They requested up to 2 additional letters, which I used for my PIs.

Bases on what you've said, there is a good chance you will need to hunt down additional letters from professors to meet MD program requirements. Another letter from the REU program wouldn't hurt, but it may not be the letter you need most.

One of my PIs has also been the professor of a major specific 1 hr. seminar class I've had to take each semester throughout undergrad, so I guess that could count as the 2nd science prof? Also, I have a committee letter (so technically 4 letters total right now?). Not sure if that affects anything. So you think I should try to track down a non science prof and then get the REU letter?

Thanks

One of my PIs has also been the professor of a major specific 1 hr. seminar class I've had to take each semester throughout undergrad, so I guess that could count as the 2nd science prof? Also, I have a committee letter (so technically 4 letters total right now?). Not sure if that affects anything. So you think I should try to track down a non science prof and then get the REU letter?

Thanks
Committee letters are generally summaries of your other letters/experiences + what your committee knows about you (usually from the brief 30min interview they give you). It's unlikely it will count as "another letter." And I doubt it counted as another in my application.

As the previous poster mentioned, make sure you also fulfil the md letter requirements. Some schools require more than 3 letters and a very small minority are starting to strictly diversify the types of letters they receive (again, very school specific). An example off the top of my head is the univ of Utah program, which requires a letter from a non-academic volunteer coordinator or etc. (this also applies for the md/phd program).

Your REU letter probably wouldn't hurt, but a letter from a non-science professor would probably help more.