Would you do Dentistry over again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Knowing what you know now, would you do dentistry again or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

No way. I would much rather be an expanded function dental hygenist. Either that or a NASCAR driver. Otherwise I would be a ladies bicycle seat.

No way. I would much rather be an expanded function dental hygenist. Either that or a NASCAR driver. Otherwise I would be a ladies bicycle seat.

LOL wouldn't that be lady dependent?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm supposed to be graduating in June. There are 30 students competing for an average of 8 chairs per session, one of my endo patients joined the circus, and I have to plan my life around my partial denture patient's vacation schedule. One of my other patients has cancelled twice because of school and illness, and another one is leaving the country in two weeks, but her case is still at the lab!

If I had to go through dental school again, I would probabaly think about killing myself.

However, this is only dental school, and most of the things I hate about school won't be carrying over to real life! I thought a lot beforehand about why I wanted to be a dentist, and those reasons still hold true, so I have faith that it will be worth it in the end.

i would :thumbup:...i still haven't stepped into the real world yet; hopefully the opinion doesn't change :xf:

ummm...let me think about this question for a while

I'm supposed to be graduating in June. There are 30 students competing for an average of 8 chairs per session, one of my endo patients joined the circus, and I have to plan my life around my partial denture patient's vacation schedule. One of my other patients has cancelled twice because of school and illness, and another one is leaving the country in two weeks, but her case is still at the lab!

If I had to go through dental school again, I would probabaly think about killing myself.

However, this is only dental school, and most of the things I hate about school won't be carrying over to real life! I thought a lot beforehand about why I wanted to be a dentist, and those reasons still hold true, so I have faith that it will be worth it in the end.

Note to self: Don't attend your dental school. But you live in Canada, so this doesn't pertain to me anyway.

any dentists want to weigh in on the question? (no offense d-students)

Absolutely. I love what I do and the amount of money you can make working just 32 hrs a week is great. I don't live to work and dentistry allows me to do the things I love in life by providing me with the free time and money needed. Most other professions you either gotta pick the money or the lifestyle. With dentistry you have both and I have yet to see another profession do the same

Most other professions you either gotta pick the money or the lifestyle. With dentistry you have both and I have yet to see another profession do the same

Pole-dancing definitely meets these criteria... although it depends on if you consider that a great lifestyle or not. :laugh:

Pole-dancing definitely meets these criteria... although it depends on if you consider that a great lifestyle or not. :laugh:

If I lost 20 pounds I would so do it. Can guys be pole dancers??

Absolutely love what I do. Dental school was tough. First few years out are a bit stressful, since you're still learning so much, but after that, things slowly get easier and more routine.

Last edited:
I would do it again in a second! This includes dental school. I am currently in a 2 year AEGD...and love every minute of it!

I know you have heard it time and time again...but it is a great time to be a dentist!

Yup, would do it again. I get paid to tell kids not to eat Starburst. And then I fix their mouths when they don't listen to me and eat Starburst anyways. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and want to complain about the commute or the staff or schedule, but then I think of the nonsense my friends in corporate jobs go through and remind myself that it feels good to be your own CEO.

To those who said yes, was there anything you would have done differently? For all dentists, what were some pros and cons you did not expect once you entered the work force (like paying back loans, insurance, starting a practice, etc.)?