Would you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big_smiles

Tiffanator - -BoooYaaHH!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you retake in April 2006 w/ this situation? Here's my situation. I'm currently in the applications cycle, yet my interviewer said I'm not competitive enough with my scores. I have a 31, and have had 2 interviews but was told that my MCATs were low at both. I'm enrolled in the spring with a normal courseload. Would you retake? See if the interviews work out and wait til summer if necessary (perhaps too late for enough study), I'm a little lost on this one. Thanks for any help. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

big_smiles said:
Would you retake in April 2006 w/ this situation? Here's my situation. I'm currently in the applications cycle, yet my interviewer said I'm not competitive enough with my scores. I have a 31, and have had 2 interviews but was told that my MCATs were low at both. I'm enrolled in the spring with a normal courseload. Would you retake? See if the interviews work out and wait til summer if necessary (perhaps too late for enough study), I'm a little lost on this one. Thanks for any help. :oops:

Your MCAT is low for MD/PhD programs. If you are dead set on these types of programs you really have no choice but to re take the MCAT.

need permission a third time? uggh? I took them twice already. I am not even sure what good scores are anymore? I was aiming for at least a 30.....perhaps I need to start hitting the books again. .uggh

Members don't see this ad :)
Permission just requires you to send in a rejection letter.
The competitiveness is much stiffer for MSTP. What about trying to get an unfunded spot? What about trying to get into MSTP after first year?

Check out the MSTP forum and they might be able to help.

Yeah, I go in there a lot, but this forum was MCAT-related and I was just curious of what others would do and all. (oh, forgot about the MDapplicants thing, right) Anyways, thanks for your advice, I'll try the other forum too. I was considering applying to masters programs as a back up to build up my app that way. . but the application season isn't over yet, so I'll stay hopeful. Thanks agaiin! :)

You don't have to have permission for the 3rd take, just for the 4th. One rejection letter is documentation enough then, so you won't even have to worry if you take it twice more.

big_smiles said:
Yeah, I go in there a lot, but this forum was MCAT-related and I was just curious of what others would do and all. (oh, forgot about the MDapplicants thing, right) Anyways, thanks for your advice, I'll try the other forum too. I was considering applying to masters programs as a back up to build up my app that way. . but the application season isn't over yet, so I'll stay hopeful. Thanks agaiin! :)

It's still early. Don't give up on your hope yet. Keep the faith on. The MCAT is not the only factor that decides your admittance. There is still time.

Reexamine why you want to do a MD/PhD program. Many students become quite depressed- but they do in medical school too- just know why you want to pursue that program and be sure it will help you meet your goals. If you are worried about funding, many post-residency programs will pay off your loans for you. You may also want to consider a DO/PhD program.

Thanks, but funding is certainly not the only reason to apply for MD-PhD, you gotta love research! I want to be involved in translational research, and that's what motivates me. Ultimately, MD, MD-PhD or PhD only programs could lead to the same goals --just depends what happens after graduation. So I have MD-only and 1 PhD only program app out too. But thanks for the advice guys. I'm just still unsure about April, I'm not re-thinking my choice of career, just whether I should retake the exam. Thanks though :)

What about pursuing both independently? Yes, you don't get an integrated education (but from my conversations with professors and MSTP students that integration is largely of the individual's design - you either integrate your clinical education with your basic science research or you don't, but don't expect too much exogenous integration at the graduate school level) but you do get what is largely the same education, learn the same skills, and get to pursue the same career goals. I think the only caveat would be to pursue a PhD at a well known, highly funded institution. There will be a better chance to integrate the two that way. Make sure they have an MSTP program, too, because the MSTP grants from the NIH fund speaker series, etc., not just the MD/PhD tuition.
Your stats are probably competitive at both programs independently, right?

big_smiles said:

If you studied as hard as you should've for your last mcat, what do you think studying for it again will really do to improve the score? If you think you put forth a lousy effort for the past mcats, maybe taking it again while prepping hard for it will help.