would you list this on amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkzebra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a research assistant position at a large local university, full-time, that you had for five months?

benefit: prestigious university, wonderful research and experiences

risk: looking like a "flake" for leaving the position

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

a research assistant position at a large local university, full-time, that you had for five months?

benefit: prestigious university, wonderful research and experiences

risk: looking like a "flake" for leaving the position

thoughts?

More details, please :)

the university and the branch i work at is VERY well known globally, even outside the non-medical community. i am in the boston area, so i suppose you can infer for yourself ;)

i have been here for five months and really like the work, but really need a temporary hour cut back while i study for the MCAT. i requested going from 40 to 30 hours. that isn't really an option for them to give to me, so im faced with the possibility of having to leave altogether. i obviously dont want to do that, but i know i will not achieve as high of a score on the MCAT as i would like to with the little time i have right now to actually study. i have a lot of other obligations that i could possibly balance but at the expense of my score. my GPA is good but not SUPER strong, around a 3.7 overall and a 3.47 science, so i really need a solid MCAT. my future is obviously more important than a job, and luckily i have a support system that allows me to have this option.

so long story short...if i do leave, should i list it on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, you should only list stuff where you can show that you learned something significant that will help you as a physician. New skills, altered view of the world, increased sympathy/empathy, specific content, stuff like that.

Based on what you've said so far this experience doesn't seem to pass the test.

Try writing out your 1325-character description (or however long it is now... did they change it?) and see if you can come up with a compelling story about how this sets you aside from other applicants. Post it here if you like. :luck:

thanks for the response :)

sorry if i did not specify, i really do love it here and i have learned a TON in even just five months. the experience is extremely valuable. i actually work with a great MD (he is doing his post-doc) so he has been a great resource, as well.

if i do leave (i am still unsure), it would just be because of the hours. the experience is definitely worth listing, but i am afraid it will make me look inconsistent because i was only here five months.

Can you stick it out one more month and then leave? Six months sounds like a solid commitment.

Yes, you can and should list it. AMCAS requests that you list the average hours per week worked. Cut back your hours, study for the MCAT, and keep track of total hours. Then average it all out and list it. Don't leave the position, which sounds like a solid EC. Just back off it a bit and manage your time carefully. You should not, however, use 1325 characters to describe the experience on AMCAS as someone mentioned. You need to describe it accurately, with an eye towards showing how the experience helped you realize medicine is the career for you, in as few characters as you can use. They read thousands of these things; don't make it needlessly long.

thank you so much! i think it works out because even though i wont be here in a paid position anymore, i sat down today and discussed things with my boss. the lab has agreed to let me volunteer 1-2 days/week to do a certain procedure that i help a ton with. :) even though i will not be an employee anymore, i will still be here about 8-16 hours/week. win/win in everything but $!:laugh:

Yes, you can and should list it. AMCAS requests that you list the average hours per week worked. Cut back your hours, study for the MCAT, and keep track of total hours. Then average it all out and list it. Don't leave the position, which sounds like a solid EC. Just back off it a bit and manage your time carefully. You should not, however, use 1325 characters to describe the experience on AMCAS as someone mentioned. You need to describe it accurately, with an eye towards showing how the experience helped you realize medicine is the career for you, in as few characters as you can use. They read thousands of these things; don't make it needlessly long.

:thumbup:

Sounds like you are going to list it after all but just wanted to emphasize this.

I've had 1 or 2 very short internship/fellowship positions but I learned a lot and did list them. A short term position doesnt necessarily suggest the student is a flake IMO.

:luck: