Would you make the move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Satellite

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any of you move to a new state which had a DO school to improve your chances of admission and lower the costs of attending?

I am acutally most interested in lowering the cost of attendance. I am 30 and live in Oregon which is not real friendly to in state applicants. OHSU the 1 MD school here has funding problems. And of course Oregon does not have a DO school. I would go MD if I recieved in state.

In addition, I realize for residency I must jump through hoops. (Residence, Insurance, License, job ,etc.) I have done this before for undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Also keep in mind that many states require 1 year as a resident before you can pay in-state tuition and many schools ask for proof that the move to the state was motivated by something other than attending school. It varies widely, from state to state.

Several people I know did this in Montana because they wanted to attend college there and it was fairly easy.

I had to move to another state while taking my pre-med classes because of my spouse's job and it was a royal pain in the... I ended uo having to pay out-of-state tuition for a year, even though we had proof that it was a job-related move and we had purchased a house in our new location. Their rule was "1 year before in-state-tuition, end of story!".

I would not automaticaly move unless you knew exactly what school you wanted to attend. I too live in Oregon, I am graduating this week from OSU, and applied to several DO schools. I was able to gain some interviews (COMP & UHS). As far as OHSU not being friendly w/ in state candidates, I have not heard that before. In fact, I know w/ the dental school at OHSU, every in state applicant was offered an interview up until this year.

Good luck,
Steve