Wrinkles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyOU

Slow like Honey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you skin experts...

is there anything that actually works good for removing faces wrinkles...crowsfeet around the eyes...etc ?
(besides botox or surgery)

Any creams, vitamins...etc?

Thanks

J~

Members don't see this ad.

Topical tretinoin has been clinically demonstrated to reduce smaller wrinkles in sun damaged skin.The efficacy of other topicals including vitamins etc is highly debatable.The use of sunscreens and sun avoidance will help prevent wrinkles by protecting the skin from damaging UV rays.Botox and laser resurfacing will give the best results depending on the type of wrinkle and their locations.Only have these procedures done by someone highly experienced to minimize complications.

JohnnyOU said:
For all you skin experts...

is there anything that actually works good for removing faces wrinkles...crowsfeet around the eyes...etc ?
(besides botox or surgery)

Any creams, vitamins...etc?

Thanks

J~

It really depends on how deep your wrinkles are and how long they have been there. These are my faves:

IPL/Phototherapy- it ROCKS. I love it. It is pricy though.
Microdermabrasion costs less and is helpful if your wrinkles are young and small and you don't have sensitive skin.

Always wear SPF and sunglasses....and don't squint.

Oh, and stress is aweful on your skin. My derm tells me to drink lots of H2O and load up on antioxidants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it then fair to say that sun is the cause of wrinkles, or does it just speed up the wrinkle process? I've seen the photos comparing a 50 year old farmer that spent his life in the sun, juxtaposed with a 90 year old monk who spend his life holed up away from the sun...the farmer looks 90 and the monk looks 30...

dc

What about prep-H? Does that help wrinkles or is that just a myth?

a fact of life -- wrinkles happen. quit you're whining and deal with it.

There are both intrinsic and extrinsic factors that cause wrinkles and laxity of the skin.Solar radiation is a major offender,and sun avoidance and protection will make a big difference.Gravity, cigarette smoking and normal cellular ageing play their part.

robf said:
What about prep-H? Does that help wrinkles or is that just a myth?

prep-H is an anti-inflammatory that helps puffiness around the eyes (from allergies or lack of sleep). It is a must-have for actors and beauty pageant contestants.

:D

doc05 said:
a fact of life -- wrinkles happen. quit you're whining and deal with it.

What a compassionate doctor you would make... lol

(after doc05's patient dies...he goes to the crying family) "Shut the *uck up...everyone dies...but not everyone truly lives...*ssholes! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go stick my finger in someone's butt."

Okay, I think that everyone on this thread has no idea what they are talking about. First of all treintoin (Retin A) cannot be applied to that area (around the eyes). That area is way to sensitive and it will dry it up and peel and get all red and nasty. Retin-A is a wonderful wrinkle remedy though in it's specified areas. If the wrinkles are fine, I would suggest Strivectin. It is about $250 dollars a bottle and it works. However, crows feet will only get worse with time and nothing you buy will make it go away except surgery. Try laser surgery. :thumbup:

prep-H does work and some people swear by it. The active ingredient is very common in many beauty potions. It is just disguised. Sun is by far the number 1 aging factor. Always wear some sunscreen. You can buy a moisturizer that has spf included. Microdermabrasion and chemical peels also work wonders. I would start with chemical peels though. They not only peel they promote collagen production in the skin. Drinks lots of water too.

For deep wrinkles, try collagen threading. It lasts about 5 years. Botox = Bull **** and it is risky. Don't do it.

Okay, I think that everyone on this thread has no idea what they are talking about.
. Gee, INDEBT4LIFE, at the rate your going, you will remain so :) :

If the wrinkles are fine, I would suggest Strivectin.
For instance, STRIVECTIN, is not a cure. It merely disguises the inevitable. Certainly, in the short run, this is beneficial but your wasting your $$ at 250.00 a pop. Ask many an established derm and they will say that for the money PHOTOTHERAPY and BOTOX are the best. If you are genetically predisposed to furrows, Strivectin is not a cure-all.

:luck:

If I am not mistaken, Botox and Collagen threading have different but similar risks.

Indebt4Life said:
If the wrinkles are fine, I would suggest Strivectin. It is about $250 dollars a bottle and it works. However, crows feet will only get worse with time and nothing you buy will make it go away except surgery. Try laser surgery. :thumbup:

Giogia,
Did you even bother reading the entire post? I said..."IF THE WRINKLES ARE FINE" ...DO you understand what fine means?
And did you read "crows feet will only get worse with time and nothing you buy will make it go away"...which translates into NO CURE. Duh!!!!! Hello sweety wake up. Open your eyes.

Botox has many more side effects than collagen threading. Collagen is much more natural and promotes collagen production in the skin. Whereas botox just paralyzes the muscle for three months with a bacterial gram positive foreign agent. Oh! Wait a minute let me ask a cosmetic dermatologist that has been in practice for over 20 years that is right next to me. Yep..he agrees.

I have received much negative feedback on this forum for my opinions. And the main excuse is that I have yet to start my first year of medical school so therefore I am only but an ignoramous. Well, I will tell you this when it comes to skin and plastic surgery procedures. I know my ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay INDEBT4LIFE, I will humor you for a few moments:

Did you even bother reading the entire post? I said..."IF THE WRINKLES ARE FINE" ...DO you understand what fine means?
Yes my dear: that one should seek the reversing benefits of phototherapy, a procedure that promotes the body's own collagen production while expediting the removal of damaged skin.

While you undoubtedly 'know' things about derm, what you will find as a you grow up is that even the best physicians in the world have very different modalities. Get off your trip and enjoy the debates on SDN for discussion's sake or your going to get grumped out before you ever meet your first patient.

:luck:

no flames here, but i've used retin-a for 13 years and now tazorac for one on the fine skin near my eyes. I have tough skin and it doesn't bother me at all....so it does work with some people as i'm not much of a wrinkled sort as a result. Just my .02$

Giogia,
I am not grumpy at all. :) I happen to "know" about derm and plastics because I'm an informed consumer in that department and I constantly read about new body products, the latest skin care, available age erasers, cosmetic surgery..all that stuff. I find it super interesting. I also plan on staying young for as long as I can...so in the future I will be using these products/procedures. :p

franklinthedog said:
no flames here, but i've used retin-a for 13 years and now tazorac for one on the fine skin near my eyes. I have tough skin and it doesn't bother me at all....so it does work with some people as i'm not much of a wrinkled sort as a result. Just my .02$

so franklin

Did retin-a work for your wrinkles around your eyes?

So what anti-wrinkle creams would u guys think works? Reclaim/principal secret? Nars? And when should ppl start using them? Or is it just waste of money?

Thanks in advance. AND CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO MATCHED!!!

I have a family friend who swears by this cream called Obagi. (I think it's a product sold by some famous dermatologist in LA)

Anyway, I've heard from many others that this is a miracle cream that can reduce everything from acne scars to wrinkles.

Of course, the last time I saw this friend, her face was bright red. I think Obagi merely burns away skin!!

Ok...I'm not a dermatologist, but I swear by antioxidents. I use a vit C cleanser and topical serum. Also, I take a daily regimen of vit C, B's, co-enz Q and omega-3. Occasionally, I've run out and gone a few weeks without them. I can ABSOLUTELY tell the difference in my skin.

Also, I have a question about lasers vs chemical peels. Which is the best for resurfacing? It seems that lasers would be the way to go, but as with every procedure I'm sure there are both advantages and disadvantages. So what are the pros and cons of these two types of treatments. Also, what about the new Fraxel laser. It sounds amazing.

darrvao777 said:
I have a family friend who swears by this cream called Obagi. (I think it's a product sold by some famous dermatologist in LA)

Anyway, I've heard from many others that this is a miracle cream that can reduce everything from acne scars to wrinkles.

Of course, the last time I saw this friend, her face was bright red. I think Obagi merely burns away skin!!

Personally, i have used obagi and i DONT recommend spending money on that. Retina..yes. Also, a good one - Aqua Glycolic - it has the highest concentration of glycolic acid available for over the counter - check out your local drug store to see if there pharmacist carry it! I bought there facial cleanser and i swear my face was tingling!!!

I definitely agree. I wouldn't recommend it either. I went in once with a friend and the lady there seemed awfully pushy. It felt less like a doctor's office and more like a trip to the makeup department of Macy's! Not to mention the outrageous price tags that the Obagi products carry! :)

Whereas botox just paralyzes the muscle for three months with a bacterial gram positive foreign agent.

hahahaha....using big words that you don't understand makes you sound soooo knowledgable. Maybe you should have thrown in a few latin terms, just for effect.

Well, I will tell you this when it comes to skin and plastic surgery procedures. I know my ****.

Oh wow, a real authority. I don't see you answering many of the "rash" and "penis bump" questions, for some reason...

hahaha

I too have extensive knowledge on plastic surgery procedures thanks to a little something I call Dr. 90210 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.