Writing a textbook chapter in Post-surgical site infections... worthwhile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesterfreamon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a midwestern school with a derm department that is not doing much research.

an ob/gyn asked students if they want to contribute to a textbook he is writing for med students. this topic seems marginally related to derm. would it be helpful to write?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at a midwestern school with a derm department that is not doing much research.

an ob/gyn asked students if they want to contribute to a textbook he is writing for med students. this topic seems marginally related to derm. would it be helpful to write?

seems like there is correlation and any research is better than no research, would be worthwhile to participate

I feel (and I'm probably in the minority) that you should do it because you enjoy the project (and therefore will do a better job) vs. doing it just to stick it down on your resume for derm. If you're really interested in derm, you should be proactive, figure out a small project you can do, and then implement it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Make sure you know what you are getting into:

1) when is the textbook slated to publish?
2) who is the publisher?
3) what is the deadline?

Too often I see students roped into activities that don't go anywhere. Make sure that it is a worthwhile activity. With book chapters you need to make sure that the editors have a history of publishing and publishing well.

Hmm thanks! I checked and it seems as though the chapter will be published online about 3 weeks after I submit it, at which point he says i will be able to put it on my CV as a publication.

Then, when all of the chapters are in, the actual textbook will be printed and each contributor will get a copy.

I'm not sure who the publisher is, does that matter like how what journal you submit to for an article matters?

Hmm thanks! I checked and it seems as though the chapter will be published online about 3 weeks after I submit it, at which point he says i will be able to put it on my CV as a publication.

Then, when all of the chapters are in, the actual textbook will be printed and each contributor will get a copy.

I'm not sure who the publisher is, does that matter like how what journal you submit to for an article matters?

Naw...doesn't matter. Book chapter isn't as good a peer reviewed, but it's better than no publication at all. If you can get it on your cv soon, then go for it.

Naw...doesn't matter. Book chapter isn't as good a peer reviewed, but it's better than no publication at all. If you can get it on your cv soon, then go for it.

Agreed if it is going to be published online.

Textbook chapters aren't bad but it is not great that it is in a non-Derm textbook. And these types of projects take much more time than they reward u. If u can do an away research rotation at a good Derm dept I would do that instead. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.