writing your first publication sucks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just have to vent-- i'm SICK of my project, i'm SICK having all these findings but feeling like i don't know what they mean, i'm SICK of finding out what they mean and then trying to defend them to people who are like "well isn't that obvious?", i hate statistics and the SPSS evil nazi program that can't even cut and paste numbers without arbitrarily changing them, and i wish that i knew more about the subject i'm trying to research before i stuck my face into it and realized that i barely know enough to interpret my data! oh, and the implications of THAT are that either i'm sitting on a gold mine if info that i am too dumb to interpret, or that i designed the whole damn thing so wrong that none of it means anything at all! :barf: +pissed+

man, i love mucking around in the lab and i love sitting down with other grad students and profs and kicking ideas around and gossiping about lethal components of venom, but i can't stand writing up...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Writing sucks. Unfortunately, the longer you stay in science the more you have to write. ;)

Good luck. :luck:

please tell me it gets easier. tell me creativity in interpreting and defining results to other people can be a learned skill, and that i won't ALWAYS be this stuck in a rut... i loooooove the concepts i'm talking about, but i can't seem to spit them out in just the right way...

don't worry. like anything else in grad school if you do it long enough (and believe me you will) it becomes second nature.relax and don't over-intellectualize ****. in time you'll feel just as comfortable as you are tossing concepts around with your peers and PI.