Written or Computer for NBDE I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LegendDMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the part I on July 11. We have clinic until end of July with a possible one week off before the boards. Because of this situation, I was thinking of taking the computer instead with gives me more time to study. I heard from someone that 40% of people that take the computer boards fail as opposed to the 10% that take the written. This stat seems a little radical. Please let me know what your suggestions are.

Members don't see this ad.

LegendDMD said:
I will be taking the part I on July 11. We have clinic until end of July with a possible one week off before the boards. Because of this situation, I was thinking of taking the computer instead with gives me more time to study. I heard from someone that 40% of people that take the computer boards fail as opposed to the 10% that take the written. This stat keeps a little radical. Please let me know what your suggestions are.

Do NOT believe anyone who tells you the following:

The computer test is easier/harder than the written test.

There is absolutely NO WAY that the ADA could claim that the tests are statistically valid if there was a demonstrable difference in performance on the two exams. They would open themselves up to an unprecedented number of lawsuits, given that the results of this exam are so vital to a dental student's future career options.

As far as I can tell, the only advantages that the computer test confers over the written is that you get the scores a few weeks earlier and that you have more flexibility in scheduling.

LegendDMD said:
I will be taking the part I on July 11. We have clinic until end of July with a possible one week off before the boards. Because of this situation, I was thinking of taking the computer instead with gives me more time to study. I heard from someone that 40% of people that take the computer boards fail as opposed to the 10% that take the written. This stat seems a little radical. Please let me know what your suggestions are.

Not sure if this is legit, but I'm guessing that the people who take the test July 11th are a little more anal, and thus better prepared to take the exam, than the people that push it back until the end of the summer. I thought about doing this also, it would have given me a lot more time to dick off and race my bike all summer. But, i'm going to take the written... go time. Balancing school and studying sucks, but you'll pass...

Anyone know what the average for last year’s test was?

Members don't see this ad :)
A few years ago when they were testing out how Part I was on the computer, they allowed a few students who took part I on paper, to take it on computer as well. I took both, and I found the computer version to be better. Its not a question of easy vs. hard, but I find that you can concentrate better when you have one question up on the screen as opposed to having a booklet with 20 questions on the page. also you dont have to waste time filling in the cirlces. I was able to finish much quicker on the computer, while there was more of a time constraint when I took it on paper.

on the computer version there were a fair number of repeat questions from past exams. that leads me to believe that the computer version is very similar to the written in terms of style/wording of questions.

1-16-17-32 said:
A few years ago when they were testing out how Part I was on the computer, they allowed a few students who took part I on paper, to take it on computer as well. I took both, and I found the computer version to be better. Its not a question of easy vs. hard, but I find that you can concentrate better when you have one question up on the screen as opposed to having a booklet with 20 questions on the page. also you dont have to waste time filling in the cirlces. I was able to finish much quicker on the computer, while there was more of a time constraint when I took it on paper.

ajmacgregor said:
Do NOT believe anyone who tells you the following:

The computer test is easier/harder than the written test.

There is absolutely NO WAY that the ADA could claim that the tests are statistically valid if there was a demonstrable difference in performance on the two exams. They would open themselves up to an unprecedented number of lawsuits, given that the results of this exam are so vital to a dental student's future career options.

Excellent points.

As you said, the one benefit that I think is really worth it to some people is receiving there scores earlier than those who take the traditional exam.