wRVU rates, MGMA data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas1496

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for information regarding wRVU value in the southeast. Is there MGMA data out there for rates in the last few years? What are the going rates? My current group is in the low 50s which I think is below average but am not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. Are you working inpatient or outpatient?

Compensation per wRVU in the low $80
Average # of wRVU is 5200
Average compensation $377k
I know the numbers above don’t add up
This information is overall average, not inpatient or outpatient only and not for a specific region

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This information is overall average, not inpatient or outpatient only and not for a specific region
wRVU low 80s. Does the hospital pay that rate to the neurologists? Thank you!

A friend sent me the neuro numbers only

It says 2023 but I’m sure it was based on the previous year

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think $80/RVU is common. Maybe this number is skewed towards academic. I would expect somewhere between 50-65 in the southeast for hospital employed jobs. For reference medicare rate is $32 per RVU.

I don't think $80/RVU is common. Maybe this number is skewed towards academic. I would expect somewhere between 50-65 in the southeast for hospital employed jobs. For reference medicare rate is $32 per RVU.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing

My friend got these numbers from a recruiter and forwarded them to me

As a PGY3 without much experience in billing yet, can you give me an idea of how many wRVUs are billed for common things?

One thing I have learned is that we tend to under bill. I have revamped the way I approach billing and most patients get at least a moderate level of complexity.

Your patient with likely diabetic neuropathy also has sensory ataxia leading to impaired mobility and neuropathic pain you're treating with gabapentin.

Seems fairly easy to reach a level 4 complexity. Much harder for 5s. 3s arguably could be seen by NP or PCP.

Reactions: 1 user