WTF? Notifying schools about convictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Revolution #9

I called the admissions office at UC Davis today to see if there is a section on the secondary that requires the reporting of any crimes, including misdemeanors. This is an issue to me, as I have a minor misdemeanor on my record (a trespass). The guy at the admissions office said that no, there is no question on the secondary about misdemeanors, but that it is expected that an applicant would send in a letter to the school stating the conviction and explaining its circumstances. Furthermore, Davis is now running background checks on all aceptees, and acceptances can be revoked if the crime is not disclosed.
What is this about? Why not ask a question on the secondary if they expect the disclosure of all convictions? Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Haybrant said:
do speeding tickets come up in this background check?

If they do, it wont matter, unless the speeding ticket led to a reckless driving conviction.

Members don't see this ad :)
what'd u trespass? did u enter area 51? how about hangar 9. thats where they supposedly keep all the aliens

Unfortunately, under the current regime, discrimination (both racial and socioeconomic) has manifested itself as barriers to keep people out of universities (background checks) and financial aid (FAFSA).

I deplore these punitive and opressive acts that wreak havoc on our people.

Not to mention the voting status of ex-convicts in states like Florida, who after serving their time to society have their voting rights restricted in times of national and local crisis!

Stop 1984!

(This is a total rant but it gets to me sometimes).

sepaul said:
Unfortunately, under the current regime, discrimination (both racial and socioeconomic) has manifested itself as barriers to keep people out of universities (background checks) and financial aid (FAFSA).

I deplore these punitive and opressive acts that wreak havoc on our people.

Not to mention the voting status of ex-convicts in states like Florida, who after serving their time to society have their voting rights restricted in times of national and local crisis!

Stop 1984!

(This is a total rant but it gets to me sometimes).

I agree. As if something like trespassing or shoplifting makes you unfit to be a doctor. But if you're rich and you can afford an attoreny to make the charges go away (or have an uncle that's a judge like one of ym friends), then I guess we'll forgive you. Patients don't care if their doctor made some stupid mistake in the past. The whole idea that they use this as some yardstick of "integrity". How about overcoming poverty and escaping with only a minor infraction to show for it when the rest of my friends are strung out and living off their girflriends? How about everything else I've ever done? It's a load of cucca.

Unfortunatly we must succumb to these "security checks" and be scanned by the system. I try to let as little as possible be known but at time they demand it and we put our As*** on the line. I would ask an admissions advisor at another UC (maybe a few) just to make sure your infraction would show up...

MiesVanDerMom said:
I agree. As if something like trespassing or shoplifting makes you unfit to be a doctor. But if you're rich and you can afford an attoreny to make the charges go away (or have an uncle that's a judge like one of ym friends), then I guess we'll forgive you. Patients don't care if their doctor made some stupid mistake in the past. The whole idea that they use this as some yardstick of "integrity". How about overcoming poverty and escaping with only a minor infraction to show for it when the rest of my friends are strung out and living off their girflriends? How about everything else I've ever done? It's a load of cucca.