WWAMI Program (University of Washingon) and Residency vs Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhutch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,
Forgive me if I'm a bit long-winded but I have a lot to explain. Long story short I was a business major at Gonzaga (Spokane, WA) and I have decided to pursue a career in medicine. Since college I've floated around ID, MT, WA, and AK. This part of the country is where my heart's at and where I want to live. Furthermore, I'd like to live in a smaller town, and I know there's a big push to get more medical care in rural areas. So I feel that my desires and ambitions are very much in line with University of Washington's WWAMI program, and it is where I want to go if possible.
Now the problem--I don't have residency in any of these states. I didn't establish residency in WA when I was in college, and I have floated around too much afterwards to have established residency in any of these states. For those of you familiar with the program, it is ONLY for residents of the states served.

So I have a couple options:
1) I could stay in one place while I finish my prerequisites and establish residency, then shoot for the WWAMI program.
If I went through Montana State's post-bac program it would take me 2 years to establish residency since full-time students cannot gain residency. Basically I'd have to either draw out the prerequisites for 2 years and not be a full-time student, or I would have to do the program and then stick around and work for another year before becoming a resident and applying. Seems like a long process and big gamble because it would all be for the purpose of getting into a single program.
Best case scenario I do MSU's post bac program, then work for one year in Montana to establish residency, and get accepted to the WWAMI program in 2 years time.
Worst case scenario I bust my ass at MSU, work for a year to establish residency, then find out the WWAMI program is too competitive for me and either spend 3-4 year trying to get into med school there or 2 years to get into a private school somewhere else when I could have saved a year or more by taking the other option

2) Or I could go to a structured post-bac program like Columbia, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, etc. (assuming I get in).
I feel like this is a more prudent move if my sole priority is getting into medical school ASAP but I would likely have to give up on the idea of going to school out west.
Best case scenario I get into a good program then get into a linked med school in just one year which is the fastest possible route.
Worst case scenario I pay for the structured program, live somewhere I don't want to live in (and thus lose any chance at all at getting into the WWAMI program), don't get into a linked program, and end up spending 2+ years to get into a private med school anywhere.

What I'm wondering is this: Is the WWAMI program so competitive that I shouldn't even bother putting all my eggs in that basket? If I do go through a structured post-bac program just how probable is it that I could go straight through and be accepted to a med school in just one year? I know the latter is very subjective but assume I perform well just for the sake of this question.

Basically I see it as a gamble either way--option 1 I am gambling that WWAMI is within my range and can get into it in one or two tries. Option 2 I'm gambling that if I get into a good post-bac program I can utilize the linkages and get into a med school in one year.

Again, I apologize for how long and confusing my situation is but if anyone has any experience with the WWAMI program or any of the structured post-bac programs (wrong forum, I know), or just any insight into my dilemma at all, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thank you all for your time.

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

BluMist,
Thanks for the info. I was unaware that WSU's school was opening that soon. Still a tough situation, though, because even with WSU's school opening that only makes 240 slots each year for a state of 7 million. Then Montana gets 30 or 40 slots for about 1 million, and I believe Idaho gets about the same for 1.6 million. In the state I grew up in (of which I'm still technically a resident even though I haven't lived there in years) there are 200 slots for about 3 million.
In the purely practical sense it just seems foolish to even try to get into school in the northwest based on the numbers. It's just tough for me to let go of the idea because I feel that I fit into what the program wants, whereas if I went to school in the state I grew up in I'd basically have to lie to them about my intentions because as soon as I finish school I'd be gone. So perhaps my intentions/ambitions are worth sticking to the WWAMI program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Matt - UW School of Medicine admits roughly 1 in 6 in-region applicants, which are better odds than most other med schools. If you are interested in rural medicine, there is no better med school in the country. Why the rush? Medical training is a marathon, not a sprint, and a year is not that significant in the overall timeline of medical training.

Only focusing on one school seems like a bad idea to me, even if you "fit into the program". If your goal is to get into medicine, you should apply broadly. Otherwise, seems like you are saying UW or no medicine at all.

While it might give you better odds, where you go to school does not dictate where you end up doing your residency and beyond. Also, given the time, you might change your mind between now and then.

On a related note, if you do establish residency in Montana, you also have access to OHSU.
WICHE-Certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm

Hi Matt - UW School of Medicine admits roughly 1 in 6 in-region applicants, which are better odds than most other med schools. If you are interested in rural medicine, there is no better med school in the country. Why the rush? Medical training is a marathon, not a sprint, and a year is not that significant in the overall timeline of medical training.

1 in 6 is far better than I was thinking. My assumptions are just based on the less than dozen people I know who have gotten in or at least interviewed at UW and the numbers that I just posted. What really scared the hell out of me was that 2 of the best pre-med applicants I know both got rejected from UW (one didn't even get an interview). One student, a very good friend of mine, had a 3.9, 35 MCAT, and is very interested in primary care for underprivileged populations. In all reality I don't consider myself as good a candidate as this fellow. I'm definitely not as smart, don't have the long history of focus on this career that he had, and probably don't interview any better than him. I know it isn't logical to base so much on one case but it is a situation that I know concretely rather than just through hearsay.

Meridian32,
Did you attend UW or do a residency in that area? If so I would love to hear more about your experience.

Thanks

Only focusing on one school seems like a bad idea to me, even if you "fit into the program". If your goal is to get into medicine, you should apply broadly. Otherwise, seems like you are saying UW or no medicine at all.

While it might give you better odds, where you go to school does not dictate where you end up doing your residency and beyond. Also, given the time, you might change your mind between now and then.

On a related note, if you do establish residency in Montana, you also have access to OHSU.

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm

That is news to me as well! Thanks

So here's another idea. I posted a more specific question in the post bacc forum but related to that is this: I could go through a structured post bacc program, not utilize the linkages to med schools, then spend my glide year living in MT or ID or WA working in healthcare while also establishing residency to prepare myself for applying to WWAMI or OHSU. And the extra year, if I make good use of it, could make me a much better candidate anyway. Thoughts?

I did attend UW! It was a great experience - the clinical training was strong, and even though I have no intention of practicing small town medicine in the future, my 4 months doing clinical rotations in small towns in Montana and Washington were among the highlights of med school.

Re: postbac, the main advantages of structured postbacs are (1) shorter duration and (2) linkages. You will need to decide if those are worth the significant extra cost. Taking an extra year or two to strengthen your application is almost always a good idea.

Taking an extra year or two to strengthen your application is almost always a good idea.

That's what I'm beginning to think. In the long term an extra year isn't that big of a deal but at this stage in life (25, impatient, etc.) the road already seems so long that a year is a big deal to me.

You are not wise to think you will only apply to one medical school. WWAMI is highly competitive (I'm from Alaska) and you need a perfect 4-0 really to get into their program. Medical school is what you make of it and when applying you need to apply very broadly and not be picky (this includes DO, of which there is a school in Yakima). You can always apply to residency in the PNW and ultimately get a job there when everything is done. When I was applying to medical school the first time I had the pre-conceived notion that "my odds would be better with WWAMI" because I am from Alaska. Do not suck into this mentality. By all means apply there but don't be surprised if you end up attending somewhere else.