X interviews = 1 acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDUSA23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally received two interview invites yesterday, but I am still nervous about the small number of matriculating students per MST program. I am interviewing at Wisconsin and Rochester in January. I am excited to have the opportunity to interview, and I enjoy interviewing and do well with public speaking. I expect everyone who is interviewed to be highly qualified. Therefore, I feel that two interviews may not be enough to equate to an acceptance. For MSTP (or MD/PhD) applicants, what percentage of interviews became acceptances? What percentage of applicants invited to interviews receive acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was 4/7. How you do depends on a lot of things. Once you are at the interview, you are qualified just like everyone else. A lot of it is whether they like you or not as a "fit" for their program. Once you have a handful of interviews, you should stop stressing out so much.

Depending on the program, initial acceptance rates probably vary from around 15 to 50%. It depends on the program and the year.

I would be very excited to have 7 interviews. I was complete at schools early-late October; complete at Wisconsin and Rochester early Oct. I told myself I was going to apply early, but it didn't happen. As long as I get one acceptance, I'll be thrilled.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That is good to know! I will keep my hopes alive for the quiet schools. I completed applications for 13 schools. Did you apply to more or less?

See PM. I would advise applicants to apply to as many schools as they can that meet 1 criteria: that you would be willing to move and live there for 8 years. 13 is a good number. If you were an average applicant, I would advise 15-25 if you are applying at competitive programs.

Last edited:
I've been wondering this same question, especially since I feel like acceptances for MSTPs go out much later than a lot of med school acceptances. It's definitely frustrating watching my friends get into med school and having no idea what I'll be doing next year...

I was 2/3. It can often be a matter of luck in my opinion

I don't think the numbers you find posted on this board are remotely close to representative of the typical applicant. It wouldn't surprise me if a large number of applicants receive 0 acceptances.

Then again, you posted on this board, so maybe you aren't the typical applicant. . .

For a sense of the true numbers, please review the "sticky" notes posted by the moderators of this board and review the information available by digging through the AMCAS website. If memory serves, ~35% of applicants who have at least one interview do not receive a single acceptance.

For a sense of the true numbers, please review the "sticky" notes posted by the moderators of this board and review the information available by digging through the AMCAS website. If memory serves, ~35% of applicants who have at least one interview do not receive a single acceptance.

I have looked at some of these figures. I have also seen that an applicant with my stats receives over 1 acceptance. Looking at these numbers do not replace hearing about the experiences of others. Based on MCAT and GPA, I look like the average MD/PhD matriculant. I think I could standout because of my extracurricular activites.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think the numbers you find posted on this board are remotely close to representative of the typical applicant. It wouldn't surprise me if a large number of applicants receive 0 acceptances.

Then again, you posted on this board, so maybe you aren't the typical applicant. . .

"Applicants" and "interviewees" are vastly different pools though... especially when you have (for example) 5 interviews, it's very unlikely you'll wind up with 0 acceptances. Possible I'm sure, but hopefully very rare. It is interesting to hear about number of interviews vs. number of acceptances.

MSTPs: 2 acceptances / 3 interviews (applied to ~6 mstps)
Non-mstp MD/PhD (all funded): 3 acceptances / 4 interviews

High GPA, lower than average MCAT, no-name decent undergrad, great recs, good undergrad research record, I interview well.

2/2 for me this year, including top choice. Good GPA, ok MCAT, weeeeak clinical, unique undergrad background.

I've found one interview tip to be particularly helpful: get your interviewer to talk as much as possible. Works like a charm!

This advice comes with the caveat that I went through the selection process several years ago, but I think things have been fairly stable throughout that time.

For most applicants, I think the magic number for 1 or more acceptances is somewhere between 3-5. This is highly dependent on if you're a good applicant and what kind of programs you're interviewing at. If you are an average applicant and are interviewing at top 10 programs, it will be higher. If you are an awesome applicant interviewing at top 11-25 programs, it will be lower.

KPCOFGS is correct in noting that interviewees and applicants are very different pools though. There may be a large number of applicants who simply don't meet basic criteria for admission. They may get only 1 or even no interviews. Most of the people garnering 3+ interviews are good enough to get in somewhere and ultimately will.

My guess is that a typical NIH MSTP program
interviews: 8-10 per spot
initially accepts (understanding that some will decline): 1-2 per spot
ultimately accepts (including waiting lists and such): 3-5 per spot

So, once you make it to the interview stage I think your chances are anywhere from 30-60% at that program. You're really helped out by the fact that the pool of truly qualified applicants is not that big and is pretty self selecting. The really good applicants may be interviewing from 5-12 places and will probably have to turn down 1 or more offers, which is why many places end up accepting so many people per spot.

You can argue that this won't be true at the very best programs (Harvard, Penn, Hopkins, UCSF, etc), but there is still some truth to it because the same people are interviewing at multiple top programs. They can't attend more than 1!