This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GettinAfterIt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wait until you start matriculating. LinkedIn does not need to know this instant.

And "Candidate" is reserved for PhDs. Don't use it. It's cringe.

Reactions: 25 users
I believe the correct title would just be M1 but don't put that before you matriculate and PLEASE do not use candidate despite some of your classmates inevitably doing so :rofl:

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT use candidate. You can write Incoming Medical Student.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
I don't think a school would pull your acceptance over it either way, but I would say from a social standpoint I think it's safe to add MD student when you actually are one, i.e. when you matriculate. If you are really desperate to put it on linkedin for some reason and want to be a little cheeky, some people refer to accepted students who have not yet matriculated as M0s, but probably nobody will know what it means who isn't involved in medical education and I wouldn't reach out to a professor and say like "hey I'm an M0!"

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

I've been accepted to 1 MD school, waitlisted at 2 others, and haven't heard back from a 4th. I already committed and paid my deposit to my accepted school, and plan on matriculating in July.

When is it "safe" to add "MD Student/Candidate" as my title on Linkedin? I have this irrational fear that the school will pull my acceptance! :rofl:
You haven't matriculated yet, so you're not a medical student.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait until you're in.

Also I don't know anyone in med school who still uses LinkedIn anyway. Won't be useful for you for quite a while. You're better off updating your Tinder profile tbh

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
It’s pretty cringeworthy and LinkedIn is mainly for business not medicine so not sure how much it would even help to have a profile in terms of networking

Reactions: 1 user
It’s pretty cringeworthy and LinkedIn is mainly for business not medicine so not sure how much it would even help to have a profile in terms of networking
Not true, LinkedIn is definitely used for finding jobs. But it is more or less worthless for a med student. So in light of that, just wait until you matriculate or say something like “accepted medical student” or something like that.

Something that might actually be useful to start building would be a professional CV. That can be very helpful if you’re looking for a research gig to highlight what kind of experiences you have, and more than anything just to show that you’re taking the process seriously

Reactions: 9 users
Why are you on LinkedIn? Are you actively looking for jobs? What are you hoping to achieve by being on LinkedIn and further putting down MD candidate on there?

Reactions: 4 users
Why are you on LinkedIn? Are you actively looking for jobs? What are you hoping to achieve by being on LinkedIn and further putting down MD candidate on there?
1. I imagine many medical students had LinkedIn before medical school.
2. It's helpful to essentially have a public CV when applying for research opportunities or other things.
3. It's nice to keep up with people you know and let them know what you're doing career-wise, and vice versa.

Really don't see why a medical student having a LinkedIn is such a foreign concept.

Reactions: 8 users
You could probably list "Incoming Medical Student" or "Medical Student" (Class of 2027 in the description) since you've already committed to enrolling. I don't think it matters much.
Many medical students use "MD Candidate" on Linkedin/email signatures - technically not an accurate or professional term and could sound silly to some people but I don't think it matters all that much.

You could probably list "Incoming Medical Student" or "Medical Student" (Class of 2027 in the description) since you've already committed to enrolling. I don't think it matters much.
Many medical students use "MD Candidate" on Linkedin/email signatures - technically not an accurate or professional term and could sound silly to some people but I don't think it matters all that much.
I'm just a grumpy old man yelling at clouds, but I've never liked the MD Candidate title.

I agree with the majority here that using the candidate title just doesn't sound right to begin with.

I find the whole thing baffling. Titles are meant to convey something important--like your rank in an organization (like the military), competence with certain skills, etc. I just don't see anything worthwhile being conveyed by "MD candidate" aside from being able to brag you got into medical school. Which is really great and something to be proud of! But I don't think there's really a place for it other than on a CV as "currently enrolled."

I don't get why people bother to list "M1, M2, etc." either for that matter. I'm sure it's there as a matter of pride/accomplishment, but to me it just comes across as bragging and always rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, anybody that actually cares about your med school year already knows what year you are, and all the others are just going to be confused.

On the other hand, people that include BA, BS in their signature (especially when it's not related to their job) confuse me as well. Unless it's a professional degree (B. Arch, etc.), it's just not really conveying much.

• Hmm
How about just "Medical student"?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
MBA/JD/MD and even MPH candidate are pretty common on LinkedIn. It helps let others know you’re planning on achieving your MD rather than DO/MSN/DPT/RN etc that people can easily mix up when you just say “medical school”.

I use it and it’s helped me reach out to people who are MDs that I have questions for. Just the other day I added a Chief Medical Officer of a hospital for some advice about how they went about choosing their MBA program and if it benefited them after residency.

At the end of the day, it’s your network and a group of people you’re presenting to yourself. People who still think of things you do in your professional capacity as “cringe” probably aren’t going to help you regardless so who cares.

I agree with most people’s thoughts on writing “MD candidate” in LinkedIn. I think it’s cringe worthy.

However, I recommend using LinkedIn as a physician. I found some excellent positions through LinkedIn and was randomly connected to other good opportunities, only because of being on LinkedIn.

It was unhelpful until my last year of fellowship/residency however.

Until then resist the urge to broadcast the fact that you are an “M0” or whatever.

I appreciate all of the replies!

I think I'll just wait until I actually matriculate in July :rofl:. I'll most likely use "MD Student" at that point.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you seriously just separate DOs from MDs and lump them in with Nurses and Physical Therapists???? Lol
The question being asked by OP is about displayed MD candidate. Not about student doctor or medical student which would include DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.