x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldent2000

Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of Submission: 06-30-2023
Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.6
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT Score: PAT-21/QR-19/RC-23/BIO-21/GC-22/OC-25/TS-22/AA-22
State of Residence: Alabama

Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: Yes

Shadow Hours: 200 with general dentist, 20 with endodontist/periodontist
Volunteering Experience: 700 hours as nonprofit wrestling club coach. I was the head coach for youth wrestlers for over a year. 30 hours volunteering for Best Buddies organization. We held events for people with special needs and did fun activities with them.
Employment: My current position, Dental Assistant - 300 hours
Research: Undergraduate research assistant for a lab at the UAB dental school. Collected references to enhance the paper on odontoblast differentiation
Other Extracurricular: Biology Learning Instructor - provide supplemental teaching to students in Bio 1 and 2. President of the UAB Wrestling Club, Member of UAB Pre Dental Society
Relevant Awards and Honors: 5 semesters on the UAB presidential honors list.
LOR Type and Strength: General dentist (strong), Genetics Professor (strong), Ochem professor (strong)
MISC Info: My freshman year i had a GPA of 2.4. I then took a year off of school. During this time off i decided i wanted to pursue dentistry and since then i have made all A's and only 1 B.
School List: - I have currently applied to 19 schools.
that's a lot of schools for someone with your stats, even considering your slow start and a year off
you are going to have to be strategic about what interview invites you accept...

Reactions: 1 users
Why did you apply to 19 schools? You are familiar enough at UAB so I hope that works for you. Otherwise, there aren't that many great alternatives for Alabama residents because so many Southern dental schools are in-state publics. Unless you show a real mission fit, it's going to be challenging, even with your stats.

So that said, I don't know if 30 hours with Best Buddies satisfies "volunteering." Coaching for high schoolers sounds cool, but that doesn't usually count unless you are doing this with Special Olympics (or similar). It's a naturally extension of an athletic hobby which you are also participating as a club leader.

Have you done any outreach to any schools other than UAB? Hopefully you have being president of predental society.