x

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonziefonz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree that some seems mundane and pointless, but it's done to establish a good base. Everything builds off that boring stuff you're learning now. Sure, some of the details about optics or physiology will never be used in clinic, but the things you do eventually do use are built on those seemingly mundane details. Hang in there. It gets better.

What's the point of undergrad ? Why can't the requirements just be the pre-req courses ? How the hell are 90 credits of let's say drafting courses going to help me ?

Waisting 4 years of money and time is especially pointless when you will not be using those investments during grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the point of undergrad ? Why can't the requirements just be the pre-req courses? How the hell are 90 credits of let's say drafting courses going to help me?

Waisting 4 years of money and time is especially pointless when you will not be using those investments during grad school.

Maybe just to proove that you are a hard worker.
I took history and classics it was a waste of time (but it part of the requirements for my chemistry degree).

So I'm sitting here studying for what seems like my millionth test in OD school (mind you I'm still in 1st year), and I'm thinking, "why do we need to know all this??!?!" I'm feeling like we're learning about so much stuff that will have little practical use to an optometrist in real life. Yes, in theory, a lot of these things are 'good to know', but come on, what we're doing sometimes seems like an insane amount of detail. They have to know that once we memorize this stuff for the test, its gone the minute we walk out the door in order to cram for the next unnecessarily detailed test. I seriously think they can cut out a majority of our curriculum and it would have little effect in our lives as optometrists.

So,

For current students: How much of what we learn in OD school do you think we will actually need to know when we're out there?

For current ODs: How much of what you learned in OD school actually applies to what you do day to day?

I feel you...

At least some of this will be applied later, whereas about 5% of undergrad was relevant. I just can't wait until I learn enough to start seeing patients.

As far as how much of this we will need to know...

I guess it depends on what you are going to do or specialize in.

For example: An optometrist working in at a VA is likely to use information learned in systemic dz or neuro more often. An optometrist working in a VT practice is probably more likely to use information learned in a behavioral optometry or eye movements course. An optometrist specializing in low vision is probably more likely to use information learned in a clinical optics or perception course. Etc. etc. etc.

Hang in there man, in a year we'll be almost done with the worst of it and on our way to spending a lot of our time in the clinic where we want to be anyways...

I understand that we have to learn about all the optometry theory and methods stuff, but the basic sciences really can be cut down.

It does get better in second year, but there are still days when I wonder if I'll really use this in clinic. But, until boards change (again), basic science material isn't going away.

What's the point of undergrad ? Why can't the requirements just be the pre-req courses ? How the hell are 90 credits of let's say drafting courses going to help me ?

Those 90 credits of whatever are going to make you a more well rounded person. Taking ONLY the prereqs and then entering optometry school would make for a very one-dimensional optometrist, and person in general. I'm really surprised that you aren't looking back at your undergrad more fondly. I have taken many classes that have nothing to do with optometry, but considering that it isn't the only interest in my life, I don't mind because I've only broaden my horizons, so to speak. The drafting classes are only broadening yours! ;)

You learn real life optometry by doing real life optometry. Unless your into research/academia cut out the visual perception, physical optics, etc. and make optometry school 2 yrs of classes for the foundation/basics and then get into clinic for 2 yrs. and start doing some real learning.

Those 90 credits of whatever are going to make you a more well rounded person. Taking ONLY the prereqs and then entering optometry school would make for a very one-dimensional optometrist, and person in general. I'm really surprised that you aren't looking back at your undergrad more fondly. I have taken many classes that have nothing to do with optometry, but considering that it isn't the only interest in my life, I don't mind because I've only broaden my horizons, so to speak. The drafting classes are only broadening yours! ;)

Meh...they would'nt make me a better eye doc. So what if you're one dimensional ?

You learn real life optometry by doing real life optometry. Unless your into research/academia cut out the visual perception, physical optics, etc. and make optometry school 2 yrs of classes for the foundation/basics and then get into clinic for 2 yrs. and start doing some real learning.

I think we need the optics and perception background. I do think, though, that there should be a mandatory 5th year residency. (That would be govt subsidized just like the med-school ones are).

Don't forget that those eyes are attached to the extremely complicated machine called a person. A person is a machine with the potential for significant health problems...sometimes significant problems that YOU have to recognize. All of these systems are interrelated and most systemic diseases show up in the eyes in some form eventually. Knowing how the body works gives a lot of clues as to why the EYE works the way it does. The eye is an end organ just like the liver or kidneys...only it's also attached to the nervous system as a sensory organ which makes it even MORE complex.

Also you can't forget that most of the medications you will rx can have some serious complications when used improperly...how would you know what was improper without all of that "crap" that you have to learn? The problem isn't that some of the curriculum could be removed, the problem lies with which parts? How do you know what areas you will specialize in when you graduate? You could be doing neurobehavioural studies in which case the kidney is irrelavent, but you could also be in a pathology clinic that deals with mostly diabetics or hypertensive patients and the neuro is irrelavent. Becoming a doctor is the hardest part about being one, but you'd be surprised how much of that stuff comes back to haunt you later...especially when you are trying to not look like a complete muppet when corresponding with your patients OTHER doctors. There is a reason the title means something.

1. NBEO
-main reason you need to learn and be taught all this "basic science" stuff
2. so you're a doctor and not just a clinician
-if we just learned the "OD stuff" and how to do the tests, we'd reduce our profession to being technicians. anyone can learn how to do the test, it's the knowledge base behind it that makes the difference.
3. to function in the medical profession
-your patient may come in with a genetic condition (even if it's completely unrelated to the eye) and ask you about it - if you can't explain basic dominance or DNA to them, they won't respect you. think about all the people who have already asked you "eye-related" questions that you couldn't answer - probably alot! you'll be expected to answer these types of questions off the cuff, without warning, by the time you graduate. no chance to study, prepare, or memorize ahead of time.

as you get through your years in OD school "the stuff" becomes more clinically relevant - i promise.
:)