xxx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Vegas is a short drive from my place. I think I'll go check it out

I wish that I could go. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm home for this I'll definitely have to go check it out.

I honestly just want to go to Vegas again this year. I took my MCAT during a Vegas vacation last year (yes, I know, bad timing). I don't think I can justify the cost of going this year though, even though I think this would be a fun conference to attend.

I registered. $75 is a steal for a conference. Plus, any excuse to lounge around the pool between before/after the conference sounds good to me.

But I'm staying at another venue for under $50. You can find killer deals on nice hotels in Vegas if you search.

How many people attended last year?

i'm thinking to drive from los angeles to vegas for this conference.... anyone who is interested to share hotel and gas etc...pls PM me

The conference is just around the corner. I have sort of a silly question.

In the conf. materials it says to come 'casual'. What exactly do you mean by that? business casual? tommy bahama casual?...

This conference was truly excellent. I cannot stress enough that the theme was 100% "Nontraditional," every part was utterly relevant to the non-trad pre-med, med student, and physician.

The speakers were fantastic. Look at the credentials for the above speakers closely. The "featured" speakers are true leaders in the medical field. Not only did they have great information to share, but they each "opened up" in some really amazing ways that made their talks all the more personal and inspiring.

Equally so, the other speakers spoke directly to various aspects of the non-trad medical journey, very clearly having been "in our seats" not so long ago, and being very successful in their medical careers.

The conference was intimate yet professionally organized. The OPM organizers were very clearly completely sincere in their desire to give back to their fellow non-trads who are following in their footsteps.

OPM makes a fantastic companion to SDN, and I heartily recommend all of my fellow non-trads check out the site and support the organization.

Some of the presentations from the conference will be posted on old pre meds. There already is one on how to succeed in medical school with a family.

That is really amazing. Its nice to know that the doors are not closed even if you have to pry them open a little.

Even though I am the conference organizer I am still totally blown away by our keynote, Dr. Rebecca Patchin, MD, BSN. I knew she had been a nurse prior to medical school but I did not know until 5 minutes before she spoke that she did not start in med school until she was 35 years old!!! Here is the immediate past chair of AMA board of trustees, literally the top position in the AMA who the president of the AMA reports to and she is an OldPreMed. She was totally unpretentious and shared with us things she said most of the AMA board does not know about here.

Last year we had the president of the AOA and dean of the Chicago College of Osteopathic medicine who on her first slide said "I'm an OldPreMed" She worked for several years after college as a medical lab tech prior to attending medical school.

Here are two of the leaders in american medicine, both nontraditional students. This journey is not for everyone, but if your are willing to work hard you can achieve the top rung in medicine as an OldPreMed.