Yaah's Fruiting Body

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shimshimay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops:
For those of you who have seen the picture accompanying Yaah's identification on this forum, you'll recognize it at the fruiting body of Aspergillus. What you may not know is how Aspergillus got its name. The word "aspergillum" in Latin means "to sprinkle". Roman Catholic priests use a spherical metal ball with multiple perforations in it to sprinkle holy water on their congregation. Whoever first named the fruiting body of the fungus thought that it looked a lot like those instruments used by priests, and hence assigned it the name "Aspergillus". Of course, in most tissue sections that pathologists get, the pathognomonic fruiting body is not present. So, only a presumtive diagnosis of Aspergillus is made.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting story - I always like the historical context!

Yaah can be capitalized, either way. The only reason it isn't capitalized is that I just happened to not capitalize it when I was registering my username. It actually should be capitalized though - since it is a proper noun. It kind of bothers me that I didn't do that. :oops:

But yes, in this case, it was an autopsy where the fungus overgrew in the bronchi, trachea, larynx, and actually the stomach. It was black, and we initially thought it might be food particles because it was so dense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ack. No pathology for me

I miss yaah's old caterpillar dude avatar. Was that from a bug's life?

I'm curious as to the origin of Andy's avatar. That's pretty f*cked up right there.

yaah said:
Yaah can be capitalized, either way. The only reason it isn't capitalized is that I just happened to not capitalize it when I was registering my username. It actually should be capitalized though - since it is a proper noun. It kind of bothers me that I didn't do that. :oops:
There is some new drug out whose brand name is not capitalized. it starts with "m" but I can't remember the whole name.

People who capitalize my user name are twits. I shake my fist at them.

Shimshimay said:
Of course, in most tissue sections that pathologists get, the pathognomonic fruiting body is not present. So, only a presumtive diagnosis of Aspergillus is made.

Jesus, my Mycology Nerd-O-Meter blew out after reading this. I'd just upgraded the buffer to four terra-mcginnis units, too. Damn howdy.

Here's the full size

asperg.jpg

Andy, were you aware that you have a show on comedy central starting soon?

bananaface said:
What does the B stand for?
Not sure if this is where he got it, but I seem to remember that for a while, Bud on "Married with Children" went through a phase where he asked people to call him "Grandmaster B" - it was pretty funny. He was trying to be a rapper - he wore his hat backwards and crossed his arms across his chest a lot. I remember seeing somewhere that the show's writers were actually mocking David Faustino, the actor who played Bud, who was trying to start a rap career at the time. :laugh: