Yale IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yale residents have actually been known to fare a lot better when it comes to obtaining their top choices of fellowships when compared to Boston programs. Having said that, Yale is EXTREMELY competitive to get into, according to many attendings that I've dealt with at other institutions. The program is suited for someone looking for high powered fellowship positions. Interestingly, I know of five Yale medicine residents (traditional program) who adored the program, faculty, and even New Haven (as odd as that may seem). They always talk about very supportive faculty and residents. Residents are not back stabbers either, like in some of the Boston programs. Additionally, and I think of particular note, all 4 out of 5 of these residents began receiving offers from top academic fellowships close to the end of their 1st year! They were all told that Yale has an outstanding rep with the medical community at large and many Yale IM residents were therefore being given early options to interview at these programs! The two people I know at MGH were suprised when I mentioned this to them aand said they never heard of this. That says a lot about the Yale reputation.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what it takes to get into the Yale IM Program (aside from the LOR's, Dean's Letter, and PS - i.e. Step 1/2 averages, #/quality of publications, #/quality of volunteer experiences, etc)?

Yale residents have actually been known to fare a lot better when it comes to obtaining their top choices of fellowships when compared to Boston programs. Having said that, Yale is EXTREMELY competitive to get into, according to many attendings that I've dealt with at other institutions. The program is suited for someone looking for high powered fellowship positions. Interestingly, I know of five Yale medicine residents (traditional program) who adored the program, faculty, and even New Haven (as odd as that may seem). They always talk about very supportive faculty and residents. Residents are not back stabbers either, like in some of the Boston programs. Additionally, and I think of particular note, all 4 out of 5 of these residents began receiving offers from top academic fellowships close to the end of their 1st year! They were all told that Yale has an outstanding rep with the medical community at large and many Yale IM residents were therefore being given early options to interview at these programs! The two people I know at MGH were suprised when I mentioned this to them aand said they never heard of this. That says a lot about the Yale reputation.

:laugh:
Bumping internet trolls from 10+ years ago <3

Members don't see this ad :)
He's a strange kind of troll too; all he talks about is Yale this, Yale that. And he's been doing this for 8+ years now.

The best part is how he completely hates on MGH / Brigham and asserts that they will have limited fellowship options if they do residency there.

The best part is how he completely hates on MGH / Brigham and asserts that they will have limited fellowship options if they do residency there.

Which we all know is true. Those guys in Boston never get good fellowships.