Yale MD/PhD secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackerj

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that the secondary application of Yale MD/PhD requires applicants to write both MD/PhD statement and 'Yale Supplemental Essay'. I am prepared for MD/PhD statement but I don't know what to do for Yale Supplemental Essay. It says to discuss my interest in Yale Medicine but do you think it is good idea to modify my AMCAS essay for that question?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think not. The Yale medical program is so different from any other that I that mentioning why the Yale system works for you is the idea. Very different focus than the MD/PhD essay...

noy is right.

Because the Yale System is so different, it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Basically they want you to tell them both that it would work for you and why you would want to be a part of it anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
just a suggestion,
i also sent my secondary to Yale. For that Yale Supplemental, basically my response was why Yale system interests me, the learning environment of the school, etc.

By the way, I have sent in my recommendation letters for a long time (Oct 31st). So far, it's not being shown on my record. Is it normal to take so long?

did you hand in your certification form? until i handed that in, then my recs received showed on the status page.

I don't think the Yale online status check is updated very frequently, so I wouldn't worry about it. It took a month or longer for my recs to show up on the site. And the status check still doesn't list my application as complete and in review, even though I've already interviewed there.

Yup, the online status thing is not particularly reliable.

Call or email Richard Silverman (MD), or Susan Sansone (MD/PhD) (email = [email protected]) if you are worried or just want to know exactly where you stand.

Are they good about getting back to people on time?

For a week now I have been attempting to confirm an interview invite... I have tried calling, email, no answer...

Any other ideas, since you are there?

PM me and tell me who you tried calling/emailing and what you need to know. I'll see what I can do.

But I thought they said on the website about not emailing or calling them about your status check??? and also correction: I sent in my rec on Oct 21st. This is driving me nuts.

They just say that - no one is going to hold it against you if you call/email them. Sue Sansone is the best person to contact. Let me know if you're having trouble.

The Yale MD/PhD secondary asks you to talk about the graduate program you propose to follow at Yale.

Does this mean that they really want you to commit to a field before you enrol?

Thanks.

To Darkcity,
it's funny, my record shows:
5 rec letters : two were received, three missing (I requested these letters to be sent from my undergrad school ~ Oct 25th or 21st)
fee and cerification form: received.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Should I give them a couple more days before I call them to check my application status?

To adesua,
I don't think that has any bearing.
I thought they'd just want to know what you are interested in and why.
Am I right?

Yes, you're right.

It has absolutely no bearing.
Actually, although this is something that isn't advertised, Yale MSTP allows for the PhD to be in ANY field.
We just had an official meeting with the associate directors in charge of research, and were for the first time openly told that we are free to pursue a PhD in any department, as long as we tell them in time to get the paperwork going.

I'm not suggesting you should come to Yale MSTP to do a PhD in East Slavic Languages or Astrophyisics, but the point is that they would let you.
You are absolutely not committing to anything.