Yale = Urban?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VFrank

Wildcat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Yale is in New Haven, but isn't that kind of a smaller city? I'm wondering if Yale counts as an "urban" medical school and does it have a lot of the problems of cities like Chicago and New York (gangs, drugs, violence, poverty, etc.). Basically, is it safe?

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I've heard, too. Inner-city type atmosphere around the campus.

willthatsall said:

I read an article in FastCompany mag (at least I think it was FC) a few years ago that talked about how New Haven's police chief had turned around the city. One of the examples they gave of how bad it was before was that drug lords had fought a huge shootout...on the courtroom steps! :scared: :eek: :(

--Ari

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, new haven is a small city, but yes, it is a city. if you only are comfortable living in suburbia, then don't go to some parts of new haven. i know people who never stepped further than 2 blocks off campus the whole time they were in school there. like any city, it has safer areas and less safe areas. you can live wherever you choose. ( ps. i wouldn't live in the med school dorms, not for lack of safety but for lack of style).

New haven can't even compare to chicago or New York in terms of inner city issues , the city has a population of less than 150,000. Does it have it's rough areas ,of course it does, but it also has some really nice areas with alot to offer.

it isnt as bad as los angeles. you just have to be careful.

willthatsall said:
same here...i heard the area around the med center is wack-o-la

I'll tell you one thing, the area won't attract anybody to the school... :thumbdown:

Hey, I'm going to SUNY Downstate, is it's location considered urban? Since Brooklyn is more like a small country as opposed to a big city. :D

yodaf said:
Hey, I'm going to SUNY Downstate, is it's location considered urban? Since Brooklyn is more like a small country. :D

Yes, it's quite urban. :p

i actually went to visit the yale med school about two weeks ago. i had also heard many negative things about the surrounding area. but, the downtown area actually struck me as being pretty nice. its pretty big for such a small city, and there are some nice commercial areas there with a lot of stores, restaurants, etc. the downtown commercial area definitely didn't seem unsafe, at least not in the daytime. people there seemed friendly; we asked a guy for directions, and he drove to the spot where we were trying to go. they also have a nice "little italy" district with some very popular italian restaurants. now im sure that some of the surrounding neighborhoods are somewhat seedier, especially at night. but new haven isn't the gunshot-stricken ghetto that everyone makes it out to be.

principessa said:
We'll see . . .
Even if it is the ghetto, I would drop everything and move to the worst part of New Haven if it meant I could go to Yale Medical school. :D