Yale vs. Brown PLME

kmh2600

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to both Yale and Brown PLME. I'm extremely excited because Yale has always been my dream school, but now I'm also strongly considering Brown PLME because of the comfort of assured medical school. I've lived in Providence my whole life (meaning I practically live on Brown's campus already) so I'm not sure I want to spend the next 8 years here and as I said before, I've always dreamed of going to Yale. Which should I choose? Is it a bad idea to give up the medical school opportunity guaranteed by PLME if I know I want to be a doctor?

Thank you for all your help ( know it can be extremely frustrating when high schoolers post about premed/med school on SDN so I apologize in advance)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale. It's in your post. It sounds like you want a reason to give up an assured seat in medical school. Do well at Yale and you will get into medical school somewhere. Change your mind about your career goals (most people do, and that is OK) and Yale will put you in a good place for whatever it is you want to do. You will be happier there and I believe there is some benefit to trying to get even a little distance between home and where you go to college.

Reactions: 2 users
Even with all you said there's no way I would be able to pass up Brown

Don't do amazing in intense pre med classes which will be the case even at Brown to a solid extent and you can still become a doctor( you really have to do badly to lose the guaranteed med spot at that program). If you choose not to do medicine the Brown Ivy degree still gives you tons of options and opens tons of doors.

Don't do great at Yale and itll be a lot harder to become a doctor. The Yale name opens up tons of doors if you don't do medicine but the gap between it and Brown isn't radical at all; Browns name can still open up almost any door or at least not close it

Also you aren't required to go to Browns med school and stay at Brown all 8 years. You can apply senior year wherever you like to med school. Browns program even lets you take up to 2 gap years. I wouldn't be able to pass it up even if I wanted to move out of Providence as is your case

Also as you probably know OP Yale and Providence are hardly some distance from each other from what I remember it's like a 45 minute drive.

Reactions: 3 users
It'd be Brown for me. The chillest Ivy by far, very happy and relaxed students. Plenty of Ivy prestige for if you change your mind about medicine. Guaranteed med school seat if you don't. Unless you really care about the slight prestige difference or are gunning for a better med school than Brown's, it's tough to see the reasoning behind Yale. Moving an hour and a half away isn't really going to feel like a new place culturally

Reactions: 3 users
If you really love Yale, go to Yale. If you got accepted to PLME, chances are you'll do well enough in college that being accepted to med school won't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a hardcore scientist or are you interested in arts and humanities too? That is pretty much your answer IMO.

New Haven is one of the worst places on the planet to spend college. 0/10 would not recommend.

Also brown plme has like a 75% cross admit matriculation rate with HYPS, so most ppl are going brown here.

Reactions: 1 users
I say Yale. If you got into Yale and PLME, you will be able to get into a competitive med school. And who knows...you might want to aim even higher than Brown med school :)

It'd be Brown for me. The chillest Ivy by far, very happy and relaxed students. Plenty of Ivy prestige for if you change your mind about medicine. Guaranteed med school seat if you don't. Unless you really care about the slight prestige difference or are gunning for a better med school than Brown's, it's tough to see the reasoning behind Yale. Moving an hour and a half away isn't really going to feel like a new place culturally

Agreed. Especially when that hour and a half away location is another Ivy League institution.

I say Yale. If you got into Yale and PLME, you will be able to get into a competitive med school. And who knows...you might want to aim even higher than Brown med school :)

Eh. Admissions is such a toss up (especially the top tier schools) that I wouldn't say that. Sure, her HS achievements suggest that she will get into somewhere, but anything can happen in college and nothing is ever a sure bet.

I would go to Brown.

Reactions: 1 user
New Haven is one of the worst places on the planet to spend college. 0/10 would not recommend.

Also brown plme has like a 75% cross admit matriculation rate with HYPS, so most ppl are going brown here.

Where did you get this info?

Where did you get this info?
Brown advertised this heavily when I was applying (granted, several years ago) at all of their info sessions/program tour. If you ask their admissions office they love to share this lol

Brown advertised this heavily when I was applying (granted, several years ago) at all of their info sessions/program tour. If you ask their admissions office they love to share this lol

Very interesting although I wonder how they get this data.

I assume it would be self-reported? If so, I'm not really sure what the incentive would be for someone who chose HYPS over PLME to respond to the survey.

Go to Brown. You're already in medical school at this point through PLME. Why go through the pain and stress of studying for the MCAT and reapplying to medical schools?

Save yourself the anxiety and go to Brown.