Yale Waitlist and General Waitlist Etiquette for MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChirasBartlett

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here, and I could not find a thread about this in the MD-PhD subforum. Admins, feel free to redirect this somewhere else if it's necessary.

I have an acceptance to a fully funded MD-PhD program. It is in my home-state, and I know I will enjoy my time there. That said, I also do have a waitlist position (I'm not privy to where I am ranked) at the MD-PhD program at Yale. Out of my waitlist schools, Yale is the only program I would attend over my home-state program.

Unlike Yale, which starts in September, my home-state program has a mandatory lab rotation during the summer before MS1. I believe that the rotations start in mid-June. I think this early start of the program is the crux of my problem.

I need to give my response to my home-state program by April 30th. I don't think I will hear from Yale before then, so I will probably send my intent to marticulate to my home-state program. After April 30th, if I hear back from Yale - would I be allowed to attend Yale? What if I hear back in June when I have started my lab rotation? Would I have to pay a large fee for leaving?

Is there any waitlist movement at Yale? Am I worrying about a situation with a very low likelihood? Thanks for any help. - CB

Members don't see this ad.

You can keep your spot on Yale's waitlist up to the date that you start the summer research rotation at your home state school. The summer rotation is an official activity of that school, so it counts as a matriculating event. Once you matriculate at a school, other schools are not allowed to make you an offer. You might want to notify Yale of your situation so that they do not wait too long if a position opens up.

I know this has probably been answered somewhere on this forum, but I have an acceptance offer/waitlist question:

I just accepted an MSTP offer, although I know I don't have to officially decide until April 30th.

I know I should immediately withdraw from other MSTP's, but what about MD programs?

I have MD acceptances at schools where I am on the MSTP waitlist. I also have an MD waitlist. Can I wait until May 15th to respond to these?

Thanks!

Yes, you can hold on to the MD acceptances until May 15. (Actually, May 16, since the 15th falls on a weekend.) If a waitlisting MD-PhD program makes you an offer between now and then, you are free to take it. I suppose you can decline an MD offer but retain your waitlist position in that school's MD-PhD program. Contact that school to see if this is possible. In a situation like this, you are free to hold the waitlist position until you enroll in the MD-PhD program where you currently have an acceptance.