y'all seeing many bath salt abusers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys seen many people coming into your ICUs OD'ing on Mephedrone (bath salts)? and what are you guys having success with in treating the nasty psychosis/delirium that develops and lasts for days?

we just had our first case and this guy went from reportedly normal to bat **** crazy for 6 days, haldol didn't seem to do much for this guy, we had to benzo the hell out of him and tube him. ya'll have any other tricks for this as I'm betting we'll be seeing more soon....

Members don't see this ad.

Have you guys seen many people coming into your ICUs OD'ing on Mephedrone (bath salts)? and what are you guys having success with in treating the nasty psychosis/delirium that develops and lasts for days?

we just had our first case and this guy went from reportedly normal to bat **** crazy for 6 days, haldol didn't seem to do much for this guy, we had to benzo the hell out of him and tube him. ya'll have any other tricks for this as I'm betting we'll be seeing more soon....

Did you guys confirm with GC?

Interesting. Based on the very little information available on it's pharmacokinetics, it doesn't seem like the effects of the drug itself should last that long. Perhaps there was a component of EtOH w/d superimposed?

Did you guys confirm with GC?

Interesting. Based on the very little information available on it's pharmacokinetics, it doesn't seem like the effects of the drug itself should last that long. Perhaps there was a component of EtOH w/d superimposed?

witnessed and confirmed by wife and co-workers that is what he did. everything else was negative. what I've read on dr google and lit search is that this is the almost typical course of with their delirium/agitation,

Members don't see this ad :)
witnessed and confirmed by wife and co-workers that is what he did. everything else was negative. what I've read on dr google and lit search is that this is the almost typical course of with their delirium/agitation,

So we don't know if it was only mephedrone. I'd never heard of "bath salts" or mephedrone until you made the thread. It seems that "bath salts" are a mix of "stuff" . . . I thought this site: https://www.buzz-wholesale.com/ was interesting in the way they worded everything. A google scholar search showed other experiences, like this one, which apparently occurred after after an IM injection of 3.8 grams of the mephedrone, which symptomatically settled after 4 hours and some lorazepam. So it just makes me wonder if 1) it was actually only mephedrone (or mephedrone at all - drug dealers are shady bitches), 2) if it ws the result of another chemical in the "bath salt" mixture, or 3) he was just having bad EtOH or Benzo w/d (Xanax w/d is a nasty bitch - days with delirium)

Some days you just want to let teh evolution take care of these people, like you always say: play stupid games . . . win stupid prizes . . .

its my understanding that this pt and others buy this "legally" as bath salts and plant food from stores and unless they mix it themselves or street dealers add crap to it, it tends to be straight mephedrone.

its my understanding that this pt and others buy this "legally" as bath salts and plant food from stores and unless they mix it themselves or street dealers add crap to it, it tends to be straight mephedrone.

Hasn't made it here yet. I find tox fascinating and extremely frustrating at the same time - it's just so unpredictable.

I'm a medicine resident at an Army medical center, and we've had a little experience with bath salt ingestions and mephedrone intoxications. In fact, one of my classmates presented a case of a 22 year-old that presented with syncope and marked sinus tach that resulted in demand-related ischemia. He was very agitated on presentation but not to the point of requiring intubation. We did successfully intubate and sedate one other patient with propofol, because she was totally refractory to benzos and antipsychotics. Psychiatric manifestations appear to be the predominant symptoms and seem to last longer than other sympathomimetic intoxications like amphetamines (up to 1 week in our experience). Obviously, there is very little literature on the topic, most of which is from Europe. My classmates will be publishing a case report with literature review in The American Journal of Medicine this Fall. There's an article published in the Emergency Medicine Journal (from the UK) from August 2010 by D James, et al, as well as several reports from the Psychonaut Web Mapping Research Group. Anyway, hope this helps!

We have seen a case of this also where the guy was intubated and delirious for days. People are buying this at the gas station under names such as "White Lightning" or "White Knight".

It's freaking expensive. Found online for $70/g, Hollywood Nights Boulevard Bath Powder.

Our toxicologists here love talking about this stuff. Their current reccomendation is "benzos, benzos, benzos" and the "benzo hammer" which is just doubling your benzo dose every so often (15min?). So basically ativan 1mg, 2mg, 4mg, 8mg etc until they are calm.