Yay or Nay to the following Schools....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpcolon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please let me know your opinion on which schools I have a chance at....

I have a B.S. in biology, (GPA 3.113 cumulative, x=or<3.0 science)
M.S. Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology (GPA 3.5)
M.S. Molecular and Cellular Genetics (GPA 3.72)
PhD Molecular and Cellular Genetics (GPA 3.74)
MCAT 2009-22, 2013-30

I'm 26 years old, graduated undergrad in 3 years, finished my first M.S. in 1 year, completed in my PhD and M.S. in 4 years.

EC includes working a full time job all throughout school. I have no parents, I'm Hispanic, and I was poor from the Bronx.

2 publications and 2 more on the way (scientific journals). I received all As in non-science courses (lol ironic huh?) and then, something sparked in my last year of undergrad and I began to really understand science. Received As in every science course including Orgo 1, 2, Physics 1, 2, and Molecular Biology. The first 2 years I didn't because I worked and couldn't study much...

Anyway, please rank chances of getting an interview at each school....

My School List:

School Name Program Type Combined Degree Area(s)
Albany Medical College Regular M.D.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Regular M.D.
Columbia University College of P & S Regular M.D.
Georgetown University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
Harvard Medical School Regular M.D.
Howard University Regular M.D.
New York University Regular M.D.
SUNY Upstate Medical University Regular M.D.
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School Regular M.D.
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen Regular M.D.
Stony Brook University School of Medicine Regular M.D.
The University of Vermont College of Medicine Regular M.D.
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den Regular M.D.
Weill Medical College of Cornell University Regular M.D.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances for an interview are somewhat difficult to determine since you have somewhat of a unique background and application. If you had applied in 2009 with your 22 MCAT and 3.1 GPA you would not have been accepted at any MD school and would have been fortunate to have 1 DO school acceptance. Your credentials are much improved with your MS and PhD degrees and a MCAT of 30. Most schools will ignore your 2009 MCAT- it is too old. So you have a 30 MCAT, a poor undergraduate GPA and good graduate school grades. You are also an URM from a poor background. I think you have a good chance for an interview at your 4 state school and Howard. Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Albert Einstein, NYU are all reaches and unlikely. Albany, Rochester and Georgetown are possible.
I would recommend that you apply to many more schools and do it THIS WEEK and submit the secondaries before Labor Day. Schools you should consider adding to your list would be:
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Oakland
St. Louis
Loyola
Creighton
Your MCAT is within the range that these schools accept and they may overlook your below average undergraduate GPA and focus on your more recent graduate school accomplishments.
Also consider adding DO schools in your area such as Touro and NYIT.

I actually got into Howard in 2009 ;) lol

Keep a few of the reaches (2-3) - you never know what might happen. You have a unique story, so some of those reaches may bite on that.