Year off before Pedo residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfairy2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking a year in between graduation and entering a 24 month pedo residency pending a relationship shift with a medical student who will graduate the same year. Since both our residency matches are binding and I find out first, but his will be far longer than mine, I may wait to see where he is and apply to that area only. Is there any advice on what to do with my year in between (considering I don't want to take every board possible) but still remaining competitive. I've always know I wanted to do Pedo, I just don't want to put my relationship on hold. I'm sure other have gone through this before? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about pedo, but why not give public health a try? Most places work with lots of Medicaid children who often times have lots of work needed.

I am considering taking a year in between graduation and entering a 24 month pedo residency pending a relationship shift with a medical student who will graduate the same year. Since both our residency matches are binding and I find out first, but his will be far longer than mine, I may wait to see where he is and apply to that area only. Is there any advice on what to do with my year in between (considering I don't want to take every board possible) but still remaining competitive. I've always know I wanted to do Pedo, I just don't want to put my relationship on hold. I'm sure other have gone through this before? :confused:

WOW, does that hit close to home! I have just finished applying to PASS - whereas my medical school fiance just took Step 2 today. We want to eventually end up where we are now, so we are both applying to the school we are at now. My chances for pedo are slim -however, he would like to do medicine and is pretty much guarenteed a spot. My fiance is really supportive, and doesn't care where I go as long as I do pedo, our issue is more about the $$$ (i.e., living seperately). I'm applying to 2 local AEGDs, bc most programs around here will only accept applicants with advanced training, and others always take at least 1 who has.

If your significant other is applying to something competitive and has no idea where he is going, I'm not really sure what to tell you. Chances are, however, if it is that competitive of a program - how much time will you spend together during the 2 yrs anyway?

Another tips is that programs actually LIKE when you mention significant others as a reason. They like people who have stable relationships - and the dental/medical combo is the "classic combination". Just ask your faculty!

Members don't see this ad :)
W
Another tips is that programs actually LIKE when you mention significant others as a reason. They like people who have stable relationships - and the dental/medical combo is the "classic combination". Just ask your faculty!

I'm curious as to how you are drawing the conclusion that programs like you mentioning relationships. In MY experience (which is limited), it isn't looked on very highly. Programs hesitate to rank applicants highly, even if they are good applicants, because the relationship factor often dictates where the applicant will go.

Im with Gavin....this is absolutely not true. Just ask your faculty! :D

I actually have heard from faculty that they try to keep married doctor couples together. So you know what Dr. Baddentistry? Take your 'absolutely not true' stuff and just go home, ok?

I am tired of you tearing everyone down. TIRED OF IT!

sniff.... just stop, ok?

I think its okay to take a year off pending relationship shifts - if the place where you'll move has multiple programs to which you'd like to apply.

Well, we have recently been discussing Chicago as a possible option, as there are two Pedo programs there: Children's Memorial Hospital (affiliated with Northwestern) and University of Illinois at Chicago. Has anyone heard positive/negatives about these programs?

Also, I am thinking of applying right away instead of waiting...there is no guarantee we would be together on the year off anyway and he has a pretty good shot at ending up in Chicago himself. Even if not though, it would still be an awesome place to visit! :love: