year off between 3rd and 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otouser4790

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking a year off to do a top-5 MPH program (between 3rd and 4th year), and I am wondering if there is a possibility that this could hurt me when I apply for ENT. I think my application for residency would be solid if I applied now (step 1 >260, jr AOA, strong extracurriculars, some research although mostly not in ENT)...in other words, I am not doing this year off to boost my resume, although I do plan on working on some ENT research simultaneously. If anyone has taken a year off for an MPH and feels like it helped vs hurt them when it came time to apply, please comment. I just don't want to create a red flag in my application (especially since I can always do an MPH later on) and am hoping that if anything, the year off will actually help my chances as I will gain some great experiences and skills during the year off. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Won't hurt, and will likely help.

Good luck.

Work on some ENT research during your MPH year as well. I had some friends who did MD/MPH and they said the MPH year was a joke compared to med school. So you should have plenty of free time.

I am considering taking a year off to do a top-5 MPH program (between 3rd and 4th year), and I am wondering if there is a possibility that this could hurt me when I apply for ENT. I think my application for residency would be solid if I applied now (step 1 >260, jr AOA, strong extracurriculars, some research although mostly not in ENT)...in other words, I am not doing this year off to boost my resume, although I do plan on working on some ENT research simultaneously. If anyone has taken a year off for an MPH and feels like it helped vs hurt them when it came time to apply, please comment. I just don't want to create a red flag in my application (especially since I can always do an MPH later on) and am hoping that if anything, the year off will actually help my chances as I will gain some great experiences and skills during the year off. Thank you

Why do you want it? How will it help you? What will it cost?