Year Off - More Burn Out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archimedes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm sitting here, trying to figure out what I should do in my year off and I have a couple of options.

Trying to figure out how much of a load to take on in terms of activities and work, such that I'll stay active, but at the same time, the massive burn out that I'm experiencing can fade away.

Where do you draw the line? How much work and how much relaxation is the perfect balance for a year off?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the ratio of work to relaxation is different for everyone, when looking to achieve a perfect balance. However, like most people say, you have to realize that provided you do get into med school next year, this is it for having any free time for a good long while. Make the most of it.

I'm a notorious workaholic, and would never have taken a year off if I hadn't had to reapply. But I think it has been a blessing in disguise, because I'm going to have a year to tie up all the loose ends of my life, both at work and at home, as well as just inside my head.

There's going to be time for work and volunteering, as well as lots of time for relaxation this year. Most of all, I think I'll be thankful I'll be able to go to interviews without having to worry about scheduling them around classes.

Definitely make some time for yourself. If you're like me you've probably been going 200 percent for the past four years of college if you're a traditional student, and need a break. It'll be good for your soul, and probably won't hurt your blood pressure either.

This doesn't mean you have to not work at all, but don't work so hard that you're going to regret it when you're a busy med student or resident. I think I would have regretted being accepted this fall and not had a year to get things better sorted out. Good luck with finding the right balance for you.

Archimedes said:
So, I'm sitting here, trying to figure out what I should do in my year off and I have a couple of options.

Trying to figure out how much of a load to take on in terms of activities and work, such that I'll stay active, but at the same time, the massive burn out that I'm experiencing can fade away.

Where do you draw the line? How much work and how much relaxation is the perfect balance for a year off?

I am in the same boat, I am trying to get a job as a Research Assistant to keep my science mind going ( I know it sounds weird but science has been something I endure not enjoy, and I feel that I require science based stimulation to stay on my game.) Also I am gonna get involved with volunteering that I care about, do some shadowing.
What are your options by the way?
beefball

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you guys. I finished in college in december without any acceptances nor job opportunities. I was kind of burned out from going through college in 3.5 years straight, so i kind of bummed around my parents house for 2 months. Then i decided to get my **** together.

I'm currently working 40 hrs/wk as a research assistant at a local university and currently looking for some volunteering opportunities (I did some volunteering before i got the job, but had to drop it due to time conflicts). it can be done....do not be a couch potato. get active

So, if I want to shadow, can I shadow on the weekends since I work full-time?

Oh yeah, you can shadow anytime whenever the doctor is on duty. Just arrange it with the doctor.

I'm not sure yet what my plans are so right now I'm kinda doing one of these --> :scared:

I dunno really. I decided to take the time off because of a bad MCAT score, and because I just wasn't feeling "right" about applying. Like I had filled out my primaries partially and I just didn't feel comfy about it. Like, I knew it wasn't the right time (this was well before I found out I bombed the MCAT). So, I decided to apply for this cycle instead. The thing is, the year off was a risk I had to take so that I could have more time to think things thru. I was debating between PhD vs. MD for a while...and I just couldn't bring myself to apply to MD/PhD schools. Better to focus on one thing and give it your all.

Now that I'm very certain about what I want to do, I'm kinda like...er...I have to take a year off and I have no idea what I'll be doing. So, I'm making a list of various different things I can do - pros and cons of each one. Which activities will make me happiest most and keep me busy the most...and even then I feel like I can't fit in everything!

I think I'm the kind of person that gets stressed over not being stressed, if you know what I mean.