Years 3 and 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondkings

M1 student trying to keep on keepin on’.
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, so I was recently accepted to ATSU-KCOM and ARCOM. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity. I’m just looking for some clarification in regards to years 3 and 4. So I know you do your first 2 years at the school, pretty much all lectures, sim labs, etc. I’m just wondering for years 3 and 4 do you fully move away to another town and do your rotations? Are you on the move for 6 weeks at a time during these years staying in a hotel and such? Just trying to figure out how this works now that I’ll officially be starting school this upcoming year haha.

Also waiting to hear back from DMU and OK State as well as my state MD school. When comparing school rotation sites, what’s important to look for and some specific things to compare?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically just if there are larger hospital systems nearby really. Unfortunately, sites can change drastically in a year, even moreso by the time you actually get to year 3 or 4. Go to the best school you're able to and itll sort itself out. Over-worrying about that now is something that won't help. Different schools have different policies so its hard to say 100%

Reactions: 1 user
So first, congrats on being accepted to KCOM! I got accepted last year but won’t be matriculating until 2020. When it comes to KCOM specifically, there’s a match/lottery system to determine where you’ll be doing your 3rd and 4th year rotations. They have the set sites so for the most part you’ll be living in the area you get assigned to. Commutes may vary, but ultimately it’s very stable. They have several states to chose from. After talking to alums and current students, I’ve gathered the consensus is to pick somewhere that has a good teaching hospital/academic center if you’re trying to match into something relatively competitive. Some will be inpatient, some outpatient, some clinics, etc within the ONE geographical site you choose. It also helps with making connections and possibly doing research if that’s something you’re looking to do. For KCOM, I look at 1. Where I’ll be the happiest and most comfortable 2. Where I will be able to make connections with PDs, do research, and have exposure to an array of pathology and 3. Specifically dive into the specialty I want to go into. I would imagine many other students have a similar thought process. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of all the schools you mention in your post OK State wins in the clin ed department and it isn't even close.

I suggest start by looking at affiliated residencies, how likely is it you get your top choice, where the sites are (i.e. will you be moving to another state?), what is the grading like, how much elective time, availability of electives, how often will you be with residents, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Of all the schools you mention in your post OK State wins in the clin ed department and it isn't even close.

I suggest start by looking at affiliated residencies, how likely is it you get your top choice, where the sites are (i.e. will you be moving to another state?), what is the grading like, how much elective time, availability of electives, how often will you be with residents, etc.
I would argue that of the schools mentioned the state MD (wherever that is) one wins in the Clin ed department.