Yep, I'm really asking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a "what are my chances thread" [ducks for cover]. I've been on SDN for quite a while, but I am using a different user name here for privacy. Any input would be seriously appreciated. I am obviously talking to deans, etc, about this, but I'd like your general feeling about my chances.

EDITED for anonymity. Thanks for all the replies below!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you'll get a lot of interviews to me.

What makes you think you won't have a good chance?

With your Step 1 score (I would think well beyond any interview cutoff) the rest is simply up to how much you want to go after it, in my opinion. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
youll be fine

What makes you think you won't have a good chance?

It's not that I don't think I have a chance. It's more that I simply don't know what the general feeling will be when people look at an application like mine. There is generally that "gut" feeling that people get you know...like either, "Wow, this kid is going to match easily" or "Wow, this kid has like a 5% of chance of matching if he's lucky." I'm just now exploring the reality of applying in derm despite being interested in it from the start, so I'm obviously being as cautious as possible and trying to get any feedback that I can.

Thanks all for your responses so far. Please keep them coming...

to be fair, you're asking med students

we're all just throwing out best guess out there

pds don't typically frequent this forum, we cling onto the residents with every last breath we've got

not to be a scumbag here but Puh-a-lease! :rolleyes:

You are a shoe-in with tremendously good chances as long as you don't get cocky and apply to only the 10 best programs or act like a jerk on your rotations/interviews. AOA is nearly set in stone for an all-honor (except one) student. Apply broadly, be nice, and you're golden!

congrats on all your hard work! I understand that over-achieving students can at times feel inadequate. If you didn't have that nagging feeling than you would not have worked as hard as you did and become such a success. Sometimes you just need to relax and sit back to realize that yes you CAN do it. (but remember not to be cocky) :)

I'm estimating 95% if you are willing to apply nearly everywhere and you do not have a personality disorder (I don't think you do, but some people hide it well online)

I think I am fairly similar to you--I am not as good at research, have a little higher step 1, am AOA--and my advice is still apply VERY broadly because I had tons of people telling me that I was way over-applying. One derm faculty here told me this, and I quote:

"Boy, you know, Dermatology is really competitive now. You are really an awesome applicant, but I think you should apply to a lot of programs—like, I don't know, maybe 20?"

Of course I was like, "Um, I'm applying to 65 programs," and he told me in no uncertain terms that I was crazy. I was told by other faculty and my school administration that I was crazy too for applying to so many places.

However, I was not overwhelmed with interview offers. I was glad to get 13 offers, but I could only go on 10 of those because of scheduling conflicts. Honestly, I would have loved to go on 18 interviews, and I may have gotten that if I would have applied everywhere. Do not let people talk you into under-applying. It's only money, after all. That's my 2 cents.

Definitely do not be cautious when applying, and be quiet about it. You don't need to tell anyone where you apply or how many places. Just say, "Hopefully enough.", with a smile, when asked.

If you put together all the pennies scumbag, Dermguy, and I put out for applying almost everywhere (at least half of the programs) you could buy a nice used car! And I am hoping we will all be happier for it. :)

Last edited:
Wow, you've all given me a lot of hope about this whole process! I really appreciate all the replies!

In 2005 37/47 with 251-260 matched for a rate ~78%, in 2007 40/51 with 251-260 matched for a rate ~78% chance of matching. Even those with 260+ have a match rate of 82-85%, purely looking at the numbers.

In 2005 37/47 with 251-260 matched for a rate ~78%, in 2007 40/51 with 251-260 matched for a rate ~78% chance of matching. Even those with 260+ have a match rate of 82-85%, purely looking at the numbers.

Which should make the OP feel good, because that probably includes:
-people that got 250's and are jerks
-people that got 250's and had crappy grades
-people that got 250's and had no research
-people that got 250's and had mediocre LORs

OP presumably is a nice guy, obviously has good grades and research, and will get some nice LORs.

Which should make the OP feel good, because that probably includes:
-people that got 250's and are jerks
-people that got 250's and had crappy grades
-people that got 250's and had no research
-people that got 250's and had mediocre LORs

OP presumably is a nice guy, obviously has good grades and research, and will get some nice LORs.

Agreed

I'm estimating 95% if you are willing to apply nearly everywhere and you do not have a personality disorder (I don't think you do, but some people hide it well online)

and there are those true masters that hide it well in person. :laugh:

like everyone else said play nice. apply to some less desirable spots. for comfort look at the Charting the Outcomes on careers in medicine and you can see how competitive you are, well how competitive you would have been two years ago.

OP,

Your achievements are impressive and I must say that you have been dotting the proverbial i's and crossing the proverbial t's. That's awesome! I had an application that was similar to yours at your stage in med school except that I had a bit more pubs than you. I ended up going on 18 interviews this season and had to cancel about another 10 interviews...that said, you can never apply to enough and I totally agree with the previous posters. You will surely be getting interviews when you apply but remember that you still have 6 "X" factors (as I see it and I could have missed some here) remaining in your application:

1. AOA...no matter what people say, it's not a given since it can depend on many factors. You seem like a really strong candidate though and so I'm hoping it comes through for you. I will tell you that it is not necessary (but obviously very helpful) and still know some people that did better than other AOA candidates in the derm application process...

2. Derm rotations...your best foot forward will be to honor your derm rotations but basically being a hard worker and someone that is pleasant. Pick your away rotations wisely and do them early. No matter what people say, people will remember you even if you rotate early if you work hard and engage in projects with the faculty.

3. LORs...these are very important and it sounds like you have already made a few connections in this regard. I personally only submitted derm letters (from several institutions including home institution) and did not submit any medicine or other letters (others may disagree but it worked well for me).

4. Publications...research pubs do an amazing thing to your application. Once you get past the cutoffs, research speaks quite loudly in derm. In that regard, make sure you can do all that you can to get out your pending publications. It looks a lot better if publications are published or in press than simply being submitted.

5. Interviews...get to know yourself...really, I mean this. If you are comfortable with who you are and your weaknesses, then it is way easier to go into a room and talk about yourself. It's ok to be nervous...we all are before interviews...but don't let that be your downfall. Did you fail in anything in your life? Why? What did you learn from that? How are you a better person today? Can you have fun when talking about yourself? Really, really important since the interview is a chance for the program to get to know you. Requires a lot of introspection and self-reflection...and you will be just fine.

6. Humility...at the end of the day, you really do not and cannot have control over this whole process and you have to be ok with that. Just do the best you can and understand that NO ONE can fully control everything. No matter how hard you worked, someone else probably worked harder than you, has more stamina than you, and is probably smarter than you. You are not better then another applicant, let alone another person. Accept that and be yourself...you'll be amazed at how far a little humility can take you.

Best of luck!!!:luck:

do grades really matter if someone is AOA?? i mean, would they really look down on someone in AOA for having say only a pass in ob/gyn?

do grades really matter if someone is AOA?? i mean, would they really look down on someone in AOA for having say only a pass in ob/gyn?

No, but it looks way better if you have all clinical honors *and* AOA. :cool:

OP -
I had almost exactly the same stats as you (although 1 or 2 more pubs and ended up getting AOA).

I agree 100% with the previous poster who said apply broadly. I applied to a good 2/3 or more of the programs. While I got more interviews than I possibly could go on, I did NOT regret wasting a little money:
1. Peace of mind
2. Others with similar stats only get 5-10 interviews... you never know
3. More interviews = less chance a conflict will eliminate a interview you could have had (most you can realistlcally go on is about 20).

So, in short, if you aren't a prick, apply broadly and don't have crappy LORs you stand a very, very good chance of matching (90%+).