Yes, another poll...UCLA or Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yes, another poll...UCLA or Columbia?

• UCLA

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Columbia

Votes: 55 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swore I would not post one of these, yet here I am...

I am having a hard time with this decision, so I thought I would turn to my ever-informed SDN comrades... Any thoughts people? On clinical? Curriculum? Faculty? Student life?

Lemme hear it....

Members don't see this ad.

lulubean said:

I am having a hard time with this decision, so I thought I would turn to my ever-informed SDN comrades... Any thoughts people? On clinical? Curriculum? Faculty? Student life?

Lemme hear it....

Option 3: University of Washington. I can't believe you applied to UW, got accepted, and now aren't considering attending!! For a cali girl like yourself to go through all that trouble and then decline seems like a waste to me. Between the three schools, I would say UW has the best clinical education: UW and Harborview hospitals, they'll fly you all over the western US to do your rotations, etc. etc. Besides that, they're becoming a research powerhouse, bringing in more money than any other school save Harvard. I dunno lulu, I'd say if you're avoiding UW because you want in-state tuition, then clearly UCLA is your best bet. But between Columbia and UW, you'd be a fool now to choose UW! My 2 cents. Good luck to ya.

lulubean said:

Lemme hear it....
I don't know anything about UCLA, but come to Columbia! Our class is gonna be crunk!

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia an excellent school, but the combination of in-state tuition + top school (not to mention superior climate) makes UCLA the obvious choice.

ucla sucked, go to columbia

(note: in the interest of full disclosure i am currently on the waitlist at ucla)

So... when are you withdrawing from USC? :D

The Remix said:
I don't know anything about UCLA...

Man, it's a tight-ass place. Some even call it "the ****." Amazing campus, world-class hospitals ("best in the West"), top-notch research, many brand new facilities, and year-round sunny weather (and a 10 minute drive to the Santa Monica beach).

Sure, Columbia's great too, but I have a Cali bias.

Go to UCLA! :)

PhotoMD said:
Option 3: University of Washington. I can't believe you applied to UW, got accepted, and now aren't considering attending!! For a cali girl like yourself to go through all that trouble and then decline seems like a waste to me. Between the three schools, I would say UW has the best clinical education: UW and Harborview hospitals, they'll fly you all over the western US to do your rotations, etc. etc. Besides that, they're becoming a research powerhouse, bringing in more money than any other school save Harvard. I dunno lulu, I'd say if you're avoiding UW because you want in-state tuition, then clearly UCLA is your best bet. But between Columbia and UW, you'd be a fool now to choose UW! My 2 cents. Good luck to ya.

I know, this was such a hard decision. For me it came down to quality of life issues, specifically location. I am just not sure I would be happy in Seattle...but its not totally crossed of my list yet...

CanuckRazorback said:
So... when are you withdrawing from USC?

Monday! ;)

Tra La La said:
Man, it's a tight-ass place. Some even call it "the ****." Amazing campus, world-class hospitals ("best in the West"), top-notch research, many brand new facilities, and year-round sunny weather (and a 10 minute drive to the Santa Monica beach).

Tra, didn't you know clouds build character?

I might get flamed for brining this up, but a couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about how Columbia is in "deep doo doo":

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186232&highlight=deep+doo

I am not sure how true or valid the concerns are, but they are food for thought nonetheless. Again, the views on that thread do not necessarily represent my own, but they're worth looking at IMHO.

I vote UCLA!!!!!!!!! I thought it was awesome. Specifically I liked the students there better. The students at Columbia were really nice they just seemed competitive. At UCLA they seemed more laid back. Manhattan's awesome but so is LA. I say go for the beach and cheap tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhotoMD said:

yikes

I agree, I dont know why you wouldnt consider UW. I think it is the best of the three.

WOW, congrats on your U. Washington acceptance; I would go there without thinking twice about it. They have unbelievable clinical and research BOTH. You cannot go wrong there.

Tra La La said:

I agree! Women are hot!

Hmm... I sense some UW bandwagon going on here. haha.. Anyways, UW is a great school but not that better than UCLA or Columbia. They are all equally good and have pros and cons. If I were OP, I'd consider the cost, the location, and the impression during the interview when choosing one. You will get a great education wherever you go. Good luck, it's your decision.

both great schools. i do think columbia has the edge reputationwise (cant argue with an ivy) nationwide but you have to decide where you'd rather spend 4 years geographically. either way you cant lose really.

UCLA!!! - the city, the curriculum, the tuition, the rotations, the composition of the class(es).

Plus, I think you will just have more fun! UCLA rocks =)

MilanoRed said:
UCLA!!! - the city, the curriculum, the tuition, the rotations, the composition of the class(es).

The tuition may be a key issue.However, from someone whose lived in LA and has fam in NY...

New York over Los Angeles any day of the week.

Doing rotations in New York city...I imagine that would be really incredible.

Are you coming to our revisit? Maybe that will help you decide!

Best of luck in your decision :luck:

I can only attest that, for me, it's been wonderful here so far...

here is my situation. i am pretty settled in nyc right now (great apt., friends, bf/fiance has great job). but, family is in los angeles and miss the warm weather. seattle, i don't really have a connection to, so the idea of moving there sounds much harder.

ugh, someone want to make this decision for me???

anyway, i really appreciate the input.

lulubean said:
here is my situation. i am pretty settled in nyc right now (great apt., friends, bf/fiance has great job). but, family is in los angeles and miss the warm weather. seattle, i don't really have a connection to, so the idea of moving there sounds much harder.

ugh, someone want to make this decision for me???

anyway, i really appreciate the input.

What does your bf/fiance want?

drwlo said:
What does your bf/fiance want?

he prefers to stay in new york, but is willing to go wherever is the best fit for me. he left his last job to move to new york with me so i feel bad making him move again.

lulubean said:
he prefers to stay in new york, but is willing to go wherever is the best fit for me. he left his last job to move to new york with me so i feel bad making him move again.

That's really tough. And the weather out my window right now is very beautiful.

Man, that's a really tough call! Both amazing schools.

But, for those of us fortunate enough to be able to choose which school to attend, I like to view it as a career choice. One thing to remember, 4 years is not that long in the scope of your career. For that reason alone I'd say it's best to go with the school that best suits your career goals. This doesn't necessarily mean specialty. Think of where you'd like to live in the long term (residency and beyond). Do you want to commit to that location now so as to begin establishing connections, or would you rather spend time in a different but perfectly great location before settling down? So I guess it depends more on your priorities over the next four years.

When it comes down to it, you aren't going to make a wrong decision. Sounds to me like you will be happy no matter where you are. And like I said, 4 years is nothing in the grand scheme.