Yet Again, Another 'What are my Chances' Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrasymachus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a little embarrassed to post all of this, but if any of you could give me some advice, I would sincerely appreciate it.

I have been interested in medicine and research for quite some time, and I have decided to pursue an M.D., Ph.D. The only qualm I have is that my gpa is far below the average for most schools, and I am afraid that if I apply, I will be wasting my time and money. I took the MCAT this past April and I scored a 37R, but I have recently decided that I would be a more competitive applicant if I took time-off. I have one secondary authorship, and I will have a second secondary authorship later this year. I have a lot of depth in my volunteer experiences, I studied abroad, and I also have been very active in several activities. I am concerned because my overall gpa is a 3.33, and my BCPM is a 3.35 (for what its worth, I attend a top 15 LAC--personally, I don’t understand how people can earn such high gpas: at my school, anything above a 3.5 is rather uncommon, but individuals who score 30+ on the MCAT are a dime a dozen).

So what should I do? I have decided that I want to take 1-2 years off, but I’m not sure what would be best. Would it be a good idea for me to enroll in a postbac? Or should I just do research fulltime? Or, would it be a good idea for me to do a masters so that I can do research and broaden my coursework, albeit at the graduate level?

Members don't see this ad.

definitely do research if you're doing MSTP. You can take some evening classes if you want to raise your gpa.

I too think doing full-time research and taking graduate classes in the evening is a great way to go. Also, try to land a cool clinical gig. By padding your research experience (maybe getting a few more pubs...first author, perhaps?) and raising your GPA a little, you will make yourself an excellent candidate.:thumbup:

Indeed. Having a high GPA is important, but proving that you're a scientist--or well on your way, at least--is even more important. So to echo previous posters, more pubs (1st author if possible), more time in the lab, and clinical exposure will make you a solid applicant next cycle.