Yet Another Advice Request Thread :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefirefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Before I begin my thread, I just wanted to apologize in advance for being yet another person asking advice/trying to gauge how reasonable my likelihood of getting into Optometry school is. I appreciate any help I can get with the process and am thankful to you all for the information I've been able to find!

I was previously pre-med, but after working as a medical scribe for awhile and exploring other options, I have switched to pre-optometry and am excited about it. I have amblyopia and, because of my past experience with optometry, am really inspired in this endeavor. My GPA is okay (3.93). I have gotten A's in all my science courses so far except for Physics I, which I got a B+ in. I realize this isn't optimal as optometry is heavy in physics related topics, but yeah. My main concern is that I want to apply a year early (I'm only going into my junior year of college right now). I've taken all the prereqs for the university I am applying to besides Physics II, which I was planning to take in the fall. I am finalizing the application now, but have yet to take the OAT. I realize this is a crucial part of my application and my likelihood of being accepted largely depends on how I do on that. I'd like to take the OAT in December after I finish Physics II, but I don't think this is optimal. I will be taking practice OATs soon to see where I am at and may try to do a crash course in Physics II and take the OAT earlier.

That is pretty much a summary of my situation. Does anyone have any tips, advice, or recommendations to me about what I can do? Is this a reasonable application, or am I trying something that really won't happen? Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

Before I begin my thread, I just wanted to apologize in advance for being yet another person asking advice/trying to gauge how reasonable my likelihood of getting into Optometry school is. I appreciate any help I can get with the process and am thankful to you all for the information I've been able to find!

I was previously pre-med, but after working as a medical scribe for awhile and exploring other options, I have switched to pre-optometry and am excited about it. I have amblyopia and, because of my past experience with optometry, am really inspired in this endeavor. My GPA is okay (3.93). I have gotten A's in all my science courses so far except for Physics I, which I got a B+ in. I realize this isn't optimal as optometry is heavy in physics related topics, but yeah. My main concern is that I want to apply a year early (I'm only going into my junior year of college right now). I've taken all the prereqs for the university I am applying to besides Physics II, which I was planning to take in the fall. I am finalizing the application now, but have yet to take the OAT. I realize this is a crucial part of my application and my likelihood of being accepted largely depends on how I do on that. I'd like to take the OAT in December after I finish Physics II, but I don't think this is optimal. I will be taking practice OATs soon to see where I am at and may try to do a crash course in Physics II and take the OAT earlier.

That is pretty much a summary of my situation. Does anyone have any tips, advice, or recommendations to me about what I can do? Is this a reasonable application, or am I trying something that really won't happen? Thank you :)

Will you have a degree by the end of this year? Most schools now require a bachelors degree for entry. You're stats seem pretty good so far, but not having a degree will hurt you.

Will you have a degree by the end of this year? Most schools now require a bachelors degree for entry. You're stats seem pretty good so far, but not having a degree will hurt you.
No, I would not. All the prereqs but no Bachelor's degree. I understand it will hurt me significantly, but will it be pointless to try and apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
What school do you intend to apply to?

The physics on the OAT focuses mainly on concepts learned in physics I. My advice would be to go through Chad's Videos on physics and take the OAT sooner because by December many students who applied earlier will be getting accepted. If you have good LORs and are confident in your ability to score high on the other OAT sections I would say go for it!

No, I would not. All the prereqs but no Bachelor's degree. I understand it will hurt me significantly, but will it be pointless to try and apply?

It really just depends where you want to go. Your options will be limited, but if you're fine with the schools you could go for it. Personally, I'd finish the degree first. It also depends if you have any experience shadowing or working in an optometry field? Depending on the severity of your amblyopia I might also check with the schools to make sure they think you'd be successful in the program. I know at some point I was given a list of visual requirements you had to pass for my school, but can't seem to find it.

It really just depends where you want to go. Your options will be limited, but if you're fine with the schools you could go for it. Personally, I'd finish the degree first. It also depends if you have any experience shadowing or working in an optometry field? Depending on the severity of your amblyopia I might also check with the schools to make sure they think you'd be successful in the program. I know at some point I was given a list of visual requirements you had to pass for my school, but can't seem to find it.

That is so interesting! I hadn't thought about that, but I think I would be fine visually. I have shadowed, and am in the process of finding a job in the optometry field.

@optometry52358 I will look into those videos. Thank you very much for the tip!

I plan on applying to UMSL, which had 100% of their admitted students with a bachelor's this year. However, I have spoken with their admissions and it is not a requirement. Before last year, I know they have admitted students without a bachelor's degree before. It's a long shot.

I fail to see a problem here. Take the OAT in december and apply next summer after you finish your Junior year like everyone else.