Yet another HELP ME DECIDE: MD vs MD PhD thread. Thank you :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albaloo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First a little background:

I graduated '06, science major, good school, GPA and BCPM both ~3.6, 42 mcat (i got lucky!:luck:). I have ~6months of clinical experience (hospital volunteering), more general volunteering, a couple of cool leadership ECs. I have ~19 months of combined research experience (1 summer project, 1 year-long, and I'm working in a lab full time now), no papers. I have a good letter from my current employer, and my year-long project supervisor loved me at the time (but he's ignoring me now :( - bad sign). I don't expect the summer letter to be fantastic, but it won't be *bad*. All letters are for MD-PhD, applying this cycle.

I think I have a shot. Probably not a fantastic one compared to y'all (you know who you are!), but I'm hoping the better candidates are more likely to be on SDN ;). I probably have a better shot at plain MD (agree/disagree?). Although I love basic science and research and discovering things, I also really care about where I go to school (maybe this is my ignorance showing). I think I may be happier doing a plain ol' MD at one of my top 3 choices (followed by a research fellowship) than doing a MD-PhD at my 30th choice. I'm scared that come next May, I'll really regret going for the MD-PhD and ending up in the boondocks. Having to reapply would be an even more horrifying outcome (plus, I'd have to take the MCAT again:eek:).

My Questions:

What do you think about withdrawing from the MD-PhD considerations after submitting AMCAS? All my letters are for MD-PhD, so everyone would know that I changed my mind. If you were an admissions officer, would you hate me?

Should I ask my recommenders to write me new letters? I kinda hate this option - I only asked them for letters a couple of months ago when I was all gung-ho about doing both.

Should I just tell my top few choices that I'd prefer their MD programs over a lot of potential MD-PhDs?

Thanks for any input (even if that input is just "To be a true MD-PhD applicant you must love science enough to follow it to the ends of the earth, even if that means living in coal mine, daily floggings, etc.")
:D

Members don't see this ad.

I am going keep this blunt...Pick one or the other. Obviously you can use MD-only as a back up route say if you get rejected at a school for MD/PhD but are willing to consider you for MD. If you really want to do MD/PhD (and I suggest you really figure this out right NOW and make sure you 100% sure on this), then you committment 100%. This application process will eat you alive if do not committ. MD/PhD adcoms want students to be 100% sure this is the path for them. They will test this committment at every point esp during interviews. If you are wishywashy you could, you may not end up with very many options. I apologize for being harsh. (I guess I just tired and cranky.)

OP, check out the sticky at the top of the forum about pathways to becoming a physician scientist. You can go into medical research by either route (MD only or MD/PhD). It sounds to me like maybe you're not really wanting to do an MD/PhD and you're kind of looking for "permission" to change your mind. With your background, you're very competitive for MD/PhD programs. The question is, do you really WANT to do an MD/PhD? If not, then apply MD or do an MD/MS. No harm in changing your mind; it's better to come to the realization that a PhD isn't for you now and not when you're in it up to your neck.

Best of luck to you. :)