Yet another OBC thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey to all those who are going to OBC in a few days. I've got a question or two regarding travel to Ft. Sam Houston:

1. When I call the travel agency to receive a plane ticket(will probably do so this Thursday), do I just mention that I have OBC orders and need a ticket to San Antonio? I'm assuming they'll need my orders and a copy of my oath or ID -- so will they probably ask me to fax it to them?

2. My orders state that there'll be a military bus going from SAT(San Antonio International Airport, I'm assuming) to Ft. Sam Houston. I've heard most people took a cab from the airport to the base in previous years, so this is a surprise. Anyone have an idea where outside the airport I'd find this bus?

I guess that's all for now, thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Turkeyman said:
Hey to all those who are going to OBC in a few days. I've got a question or two regarding travel to Ft. Sam Houston:

1. When I call the travel agency to receive a plane ticket(will probably do so this Thursday), do I just mention that I have OBC orders and need a ticket to San Antonio? I'm assuming they'll need my orders and a copy of my oath or ID -- so will they probably ask me to fax it to them?

2. My orders state that there'll be a military bus going from SAT(San Antonio International Airport, I'm assuming) to Ft. Sam Houston. I've heard most people took a cab from the airport to the base in previous years, so this is a surprise. Anyone have an idea where outside the airport I'd find this bus?

I don't know about #1 but you get reimbursed for the cab in #2 so just get a receipt and don't wait for the bus.

I don't know if they're still messing around with that damned gov't credit card for expenses, but if they issue you one, stick it in your wallet behind the condom you bought for prom night and don't try to use either one !

p.s. the nerds in the Air Force call it a " Base "
we call an installation a " Post" :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
alpha62 said:
p.s. the nerds in the Air Force call it a " Base "
we call an installation a " Post" :smuggrin:

AIR POWER!!!!!! :laugh:

Turkeyman said:

1. Travel Agency will need fax copy of orders, although I believe you can feed them the TONO over the phone to get the ball rolling.

2. I'll second the taxi idea. Its probably a decent risk that the claim adjusters are not going to think twice about allowing a airport-to-post taxi ride, and you'll save yourself waiting around for the bus. Plus, if your orders are anything like last year, no one else has that little blurb about the bus. you would think that all 300 students would have identical orders, but then you realize that yes, you are in the military......

p.s. if at all possible, DRIVE........

deegs said:
1. Travel Agency will need fax copy of orders, although I believe you can feed them the TONO over the phone to get the ball rolling.

2. I'll second the taxi idea. Its probably a decent risk that the claim adjusters are not going to think twice about allowing a airport-to-post taxi ride, and you'll save yourself waiting around for the bus. Plus, if your orders are anything like last year, no one else has that little blurb about the bus. you would think that all 300 students would have identical orders, but then you realize that yes, you are in the military......

p.s. if at all possible, DRIVE........

Amen to that, you will want the mobility. San Antonio is actually a really fun city, and very hot right now.

I have been doing a lot of TDY lately, and the main thing is to keep the extra expenses down below 50$ a piece. Above 50$ you have to have approval and a receipt.

If you can't get a car here, cab would work fine.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep that <$50 rule in mind as well. I called the travel agency today and will be faxing them my orders in the morning. Also, I guess I'll be taking a cab from the airport. I'll arrive in San Antonio close to 12:30pm, anyone know how far it is from there to base?

Edit:

Nm haha, I found that on mapquest