York vs Harrisburg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyorkgiants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could provide some insight on these 2 residencies. I have only 1 available audition rotation left and was trying to figure out which one to do it at. I am an avg applicant, my COMLEX is just below a 600 and I have a much better USMLE (when compared to my COMLEX).

I know Harrisburg is one of the top Osteopathic orthopedic residencies in the country. I know that it is extremely competitive and they have many students rotating there each month. They also take between 4-5 new residents a year.

I know York Wellspan is one of the newer Orthopedic programs graduating there first class this year. I have only heard good things about the program. My concern is that their residency class is much smaller and they only take 2 residents per year. Does anyone know the rotation experience at York?

I am obviously looking to go to the program that I have the best shot at matching at. I am in a predicament because the more competitive program has atleast double the amount of residents. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know nothing about the osteopathic programs, but I did interview at some small residency programs, and you should definitely consider what you are looking for as far as size of a program. Having a very smaller program can be an intimate feel, but it can also mean you get worked like a dog and have no backup.

I rotated at harrisburg and can attest that it's a great program, extremely OR heavy with solid didactics. There's a bit of "we're the best" attitude from top down, attendings to their residents.

I also interviewed at York when they were starting, I can't tell you how much they operate but if I had to bet, likely less than harrisburg, in fact I can't think of any program that operates more than harrisburg. But I bet it's a great program too, because the pd is a solid dude, very much w renowned trauma guy in ORtho world. He has great connections and is a great teacher, even runs his own fellowship. Can't imagine he would run a program less than stellar. I would have no reservations being a resodent at York if I were you.

As a Harrisburg resident I can only really give decent advice and insight into my program. We are very OR heavy with solid didactics as DarkHorizon pointed out. I think that this aspect has made our residency competitive with often 60+ students rotating during the audition months. However, we take 5 residents a year which bodes well for applicants. We have new facilities with a plethora of attending and a affiliation with Penn State which has made our program even more attractive than when I was student.

I feel we have a very solid program, with excellent fellowship placement and a good group of guys and gal. Not a single day goes by that I don't laugh and I can honestly say that my residency is like a big family. We have a lot of fun at work yet challenge each other every day to get better. I have met lifelong friends through residency who I can say genuinely have my back. Remember, that as a resident you will likely spend as much time with your coworkers as your family so choose wisely on where you want to be. No program is without fault and we definitely have some but come check us out or PM me if you have any other questions.

With regards to York Wellspan, I can't comment because I don't know much about their program. I do know that they recently have been taking two residents and that it is a newer program. I did run into one of their residents at fellowship interviews and seemed like a super nice guy for what its worth. I think you have to find which program fits best for you with regards to size, location, feel, didactics, fellowship placement, culture, etc. and go with that. Best of luck.