"You qualify for interview"... What's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santa_claus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an email from Flinders a few days ago, in which they say I qualify for interview. Have not got an invitation to the interview itself though. Any ideas how long approximately is the wait between the "you qualify..." email and the email that invites you to the interview? Thanks guys.
LK

Members don't see this ad.

santa_claus said:
Got an email from Flinders a few days ago, in which they say I qualify for interview. Have not got an invitation to the interview itself though. Any ideas how long approximately is the wait between the "you qualify..." email and the email that invites you to the interview? Thanks guys.
LK

Assuming, it's not one of those "Do not reply to this message" emails, you could just hit the <reply> button and ask the sender when/where they might be interested in interviewing you.

From what I remember they will get back to you at some point. They often have a big list to go through first. Some students will be offered interviews before others and some will decline their interviews...

If I remember correctly I actually called Flinders last year. They are fairly profressional in how they deal with their international students and should have an answer for you if not provide a time within which they will get back to you.

Some students had complaints about U. Syd in previous years because they failed to notify them alltogether about acceptances etc despite having a set date on their documentation and website. Some students had offers at other med schools and were waiting for U. Syd to respond with no luck. However Flinders should do things a little better than that!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, Flinders is very good at getting back to applicants -- just send an email, it'll prob be answered by the dean of admissions (Tony) himself!

I had thought they already did their n american tour, but it's possible they'll return for another round, or do the rest over the phone (unless you want to fly out, in which case they would be happy to accommodate your schedule).

-pitman

Flinders has, in fact, had their principal round of NAmerican interviews. I was interviewed in Calgary in late July and then put on the wait list where i still sit (though I'll get off as I'm now headed to Ireland to start in just a few weeks). I believe Tony Edwards (director admissions) has offered about 21 or so of the 30 international spots. I guess he was only tepidly happy with the rest of those on the waitlist so he's just gone to Singapore for more interviews. Presumably you'll get your interview by phone after he returns (soon I expect). Those already accepted have been given a Sept 20 deadline to confirm. If you look good to them, I'm sure you'd get an offer right away after an interview. Otherwise you might have to wait until people have confirmed/declined on Sept 20. And yes, Dr. Edwards is very prompt and forthcoming with replies...I'm sure he's just still away thus the delay. Good luck!

Yes Dr. Edwards is still away in Singapore. I just popped into his office two days ago at the Flinder's Medical Centre.
Anyways, there are also students (like me) whose MCAT scores will be available by middle October, and for whom, supposedly, a few spots are reserved.