Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Young offenders/abuse victims

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by psych844, 05.06.12.

1. psych844

psych844

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    These are the two areas I'm most interested in. Any suggestions on schools (Canada or USA), courses, placements, internships, that you found the most useful to get good knowledge or skills/training in these areas? I got some good advice from one person through PM.

I want to get into Counselling Psychology...because I like the idea of giving therapy. And I'll first be doing my Masters, then Phd later on. (but where I want to go I'll be able to practice as a Psychologist part-time, while I work toward the Phd)

I'm hopefully starting Masters next Sept.
    Last edited: 05.06.12
  2. zensouth

zensouth

Non-Student
  3. zensouth

zensouth

Non-Student
    You won't be able to practice part-time while going there, but the PhD program only takes people who already have a Master's so the program is a little shorter than most.
  4. 4410

Sam Houston State University Clinical Psychology program emphasizes forensics in juvenile and adult settings. You will discover that many juveniles and adult offenders were also abused and had trauma and neglect during their childhood developmental years. John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City has a MS degree in forensic psychology and many of their graduates have a high degree of success at being admitted to top PhD clinical psychology programs.
    Last edited: 05.06.12
  5. cara susanna

cara susanna Predoctoral Intern

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    University of North Dakota Clinical PhD has a lot of faculty who research forensics and offending, as well as forensic practicum opportunities
  6. psych844

psych844

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is John Jay College accredited? Their Forensic Psychology Masters program would be perfect for me.
    Any reviews?
    Last edited: 05.18.12
  7. thewesternsky

thewesternsky

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Master's programs are not APA accredited.
  8. psych844

psych844

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Right. Is it considered a good college?
    4410 suggested it so I'm a little concerned. :D lol
    Last edited: 05.18.12
  9. busybusybusy

busybusybusy

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    John Jay is a well respected university in the world of forensic psych and AFAIK their MA students are usually successful in getting it in to PhD programs. I would be cautious with their PhD program bc it isn't APA accredited, although i do believe the graduates can get licensed in NY and again it is a well-respected program.
  10. loveoforganic

loveoforganic -Account Deactivated-

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Randy Salekin is a big C&A psychopathy guy at UAlabama - definitely does a lot of work with juvenile offenders

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal