Your advice will be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wisdomphilia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,
I am contemplating whether to apply this year or not.I will appreciate your honest opinion...I am more of a "unique" applicant so I will make it brief but with enough info.
1.Undergraduate Biochem major in African University(Did most prerequisites there,but I know I need to take them in an American institution).
2."Moved" to U.S. and granted asylum...transferred some credits to state University(senior).
My stats are:
EC:About 20 hrs hospital volunteer,2 years full time CNA.Recording artiste(Poetry and rap).Volunteer,etc.
SHADOWING:Ongoing,30 hours so far
RESEARCH:None
MCAT:Registered for may,hoping to get decent score considering I have a strong science background.
GPA:About 3.79-3.86 when I apply(depending on this semester)
PREREQUISTES:Only 1 year Bio/Lab,One semester Physics,One semester English completed.Few Upper division science classes.

Should I apply this year or wait to boost my credentials.I am not setting my sights on top tier schools,but I want to know if I have a chance anywhere??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Summarized:
1.Biochem major in African University
2."Moved" to US, transferred some credits...GPA:About 3.79-3.86
3. 2 yrs CNA, little clinical volunteering
4. 30 hrs shadowing
5. No research
6. Some artistic endeavors
7. Some other volunteering

Should I apply this year or wait to boost my credentials.I am not setting my sites on top tier schools,but I want to know if I have a chance anywhere??

Though your GPA thus far is great, and your clinical experience is above average, I'd still suggest waiting a year to apply. I suspect that AdComs will want to see how you perform in your pre-reqs at an American institution, rather than extrapolate based on your prior international performance. However, if you do well on your upcoming MCAT (30+), you might be able to convince them that your scientific background is solid.

So, in a nutshell, if you score a 30+ on the exam then you could try testing the waters this year. Otherwise, if your exam does not go so well, or if you simply want to take another year (which definitely couldn't hurt) to work on some research and finish up your pre-reqs, then that would be the way to go.

Thank You.I am open to applying next year but I feel I should apply this year too,you never know what might happen.I am striving for that 30+ on the MCAT too..

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have a transcript evaluation service "translate" your grades from the African college into US equivalents? What was your overall GPA, and for how many credits?

How many credits did your US college accept in transfer? Did they give them P/F designation or grades? Will you eventually earn a US bachelors degree that most US med schools would want you to complete?

Have you already competed the year of Physics and OChem abroad? If not, I would not attempt the MCAT until done.

Your GPA is competitive and the clinical experience is excellent. Could you further describe all your nonmedical volunteering? Having no research, leadership, or teaching to mention will hurt you. You hobby/artistic endeavor is a plus, though. I suggest at least doubling the shadowing hours, but you have a nice start. Be sure to include a primary care doc.

What is your state of legal residence? Are you of nontraditional age?

Did you have a transcript evaluation service "translate" your grades from the African college into US equivalents? What was your overall GPA, and for how many credits?

How many credits did your US college accept in transfer? Did they give them P/F designation or grades? Will you eventually earn a US bachelors degree that most US med schools would want you to complete?

Have you already competed the year of Physics and OChem abroad? If not, I would not attempt the MCAT until done.

Your GPA is competitive and the clinical experience is excellent. Could you further describe all your nonmedical volunteering? Having no research, leadership, or teaching to mention will hurt you. You hobby/artistic endeavor is a plus, though. I suggest at least doubling the shadowing hours, but you have a nice start. Be sure to include a primary care doc.

What is your state of legal residence? Are you of nontraditional age?

I will be 24 this summer,and a legal resident of California.My non-medical volunteering has been working with the los angeles gay and lesbian center mostly in event planning and organization...Looking at the course material,I did take organic chemsitry and physics abroad so im hoping to retake them here.But I have also been self teaching these courses.
I will eventually earn a U.S. degree hopefully in fall this year,my school transferred about 40 units(no evaluation service) which shows only as transfer credits on my transcripts,they grades do not appear.My overall grade was 2nd class upper(3.3-3.5??..not sure,its British system of grading),and I will have about 60 units earned in an American school after spring semester.....
Not having research,leadership,etc will definitely hurt...but I am thinking of mentioning in my personal staement the fact that I did do research(defintely not bigtime like over here) whiles abroad and I "moved" to U.S at age 20 all by myself after I was dismissed from school for being gay,sent to a "prayer camp" by family where I was almost "fasted" to death.I've been living on my own hardwork since I secured asylum in the US,and I currently send money(about $6000 last year)home regularly and my sister is back in college and my brother is about to begin college this fall because of my assistance.....Ihope that counts for something.
Sorry for the long reply,I just want to give an accurate picture so I can get the best response....Thank you.

Should I apply this year or wait to boost my credentials.I am not setting my sights on top tier schools,but I want to know if I have a chance anywhere??
Assisting one's family members financially generally isn't considered an "EC" But you might make it part of the story you tell in your Personal Statement.

It's my understanding that since AMCAS does not accept foreign transcripts that you would be expected by med schools to provide an official transcript eval (by WES, or equivalent). Since your grades in Africa weren't as competitive as those you are now earning, adcomms may well be hesitant to consider an applicant who doen't have more of the prerequisites completed at US or Canadian accredited institutions.

You are hopefully aware that US med schools vary somewhat in their expectations of international applicants, with the majority wanting 60-90 credits earned at US or Canadian accredited schools. A few require only 30, including some in California.

It's my opinion that waiting a year would give you a stronger application, with more prerequisites completed, and some holes in your application plugged: perhaps substantive research through your current school, leadership (perhaps through the gay and lesbian center or with another organization serving the poor), teaching (TA/tutor/coaching/teaching ESL to immigrants or after school or tutoring in a poor neighborhood?).

You might also benefit from the extra year studying for the MCAT. If you are ESL, then you might be challenged by the verbal section and need more time for mastery.

Trying to stay in-state for California for its cheaper tuition is probably high on your list. Applying only once, since it's an expensive process is another good goal. I can't say you couldn't get in anywhere if you applied this season, but another year would likely get you a lot more choices and possibly even merit scholarship money if all goes well.

Yes that is true,I will be a better applicant after a year.Thank you for your advice,you guys on SDN are heaven-sent:).