Your Exercise History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAR

Invincibility
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering what importance all of us future doctors place on our own health: essentially exercise and diet.

Personally, I'm a health freak. I lift weights, run, cycle, swim, do plyometrics, play a variety of sports. Diet-wise, I haven't eaten french fries in years, hardly drink soda, no potato chips, take my multi-vitamin every day, etc.

The reason I brought this up is because I remember a report on a medical convention (don't remember what) where the president of the group said that he and his fellow doctors needed to be examples to their patients by losing weight. Just thought I'd see what what other people were doing out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I just had a cheesesteak and fries for lunch. The only exercise I get is walking to the bus stop. Then again, I'm considering being a cardiologist so I can unclog my arteries after getting up every morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was active during college (rowed, powderpuff, ran, etc), but ate terribly. After I graduated and started cooking on my own, I lost 20+ lbs. Most of my diet is really higher in fiber and low in fat. I always eat breakfast (Kashi w/fruit) and eat small meals during the day. For snacks, I'll have veggies, fruit, pretzels, and low-fat yogurt.
When I go out to eat, I never eat the entire entree and ask for most things on the side.
Of course, I'll splurge every now and then (fried foods), but that's about once a month....
I have a bunch of friends who are dieticians, so hanging out with them has helped me modify my diet!

jeffsleepy said:
I just had a cheesesteak and fries for lunch. The only exercise I get is walking to the bus stop. Then again, I'm considering being a cardiologist so I can unclog my arteries after getting up every morning.

:laugh: :laugh:
Nice, very nice.

I'm with Jeffsleepy.. thankful that I can eat what I want and not excercise and still not gain weight. But then again.. I know it's going to catch up with me one day.. but not today :)

LanceP97 said:
I'm with Jeffsleepy.. thankful that I can eat what I want and not excercise and still not gain weight. But then again.. I know it's going to catch up with me one day.. but not today :)

That's pretty much how I was all throughout undergrad. I'd eat like a fatazz at every meal in the dining halls just to stay at the same weight - and I would never do any exercise except for skateboarding to my classes. But now that I'm at home eating several times a day for no reason, I've finally started to put on some weight. So, it should start catching up with you sometime soon.

Beer doesn't do too much good for the figure either.

Sound body, Sound mind :) ....i try to go out and excercise as much as possible. If i have time, I'll take an aerobics class or tennis class. This sem, it's just been a lot of intramural sports (tennis, soccer, volleyball, table-tennis, basketball) things like that. If I'm not doing that, I go to the gym and run on the treamill and lift weights. I eat like a pig though, so I guess it evens out :p

I try to work out most days of the week--swimming, jogging, stationary bike or weights (swimming is my favorite). I don't smoke and I can't understand why anyone would want to start doing so, given that we KNOW what it does to the body, and it's disgusting to boot. I try to eat reasonably healthy, but do occasionally eat junk (for instance, in my college dining hall, they have Oreo crumbs to put on the soft-serve ice cream--it is pretty good, but I can't help thinking about the artery cloggage that results from trans fats--yuck!). I think it's important for physicians to set a good example for their patients. I am thinking of going into cardiology, and that is one area where it is VERY important to "practice what one preaches" as far as eating right, exercising, not smoking, etc (not that any specialty is off the hook), to improve the chances that your patients will take your advice for preventing a heart attack etc.

jeffsleepy said:

Nice. Somehow I don't think having an MI will be such a good example to your patients... ;)

I just had KFC and a beer, yum!

It all breaks down and gets converted into what your body needs(biochem.?).

I ate a whole chocolate bar today. MMMMmmmMMM

BTW, I'm sure someone will argue this - but you don't need to take a muti-vitamin if you are eating a balanced diet with sufficient fruit/veggies. They're harsh on your liver and kidneys. Plus, the absorption of some minerals/vitamins negate the absorption of others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not that much of a health nut as the OP, but I pump iron rather often (about to leave to do squats). I've gained a lot of lean body mass since I started college (115 --> 160 pounds), and I'd like to gain even more.

Stitch626 said:

I was about to say that I eat chocolate. :)

Well, it's good for your heart - lots of eicosanoids (anti-inflammatory) and now chocolate's recommended to treat persistent coughs ( http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996699 )

Is there anything this wonder-drug cannot do? :)

Otherwise, I've been doing strength-training for years to improve muscle tone (and thus take pressure off my arthritic knees), bike to work, jog in the mornings, save leftover well-balanced dinners for lunch, definitely don't smoke, drink red wine (moderately), eat every 3 hours, and try to get 7+ hours of sleep a night.

Actually, sleep seems to be the important facet of health that people just completely ignored. Two years ago I had a personal trainer who told me that sleep is as important as diet/ exercise - I didn't believe him at first, but the following summer I found the empirical proof. I went on a trip to Belize and gained 5+ pounds, and when I came back I thought my normal healthy routine would get rid of the extra weight quickly.

Four months later I still had the extra flab, but I decided that I was sick of the insomnia/ poor planning that was leaving me exhausted, so I started normalizing my sleeping schedule to 7-8hrs/ night. Amazingly, 2 weeks later I started losing that extra weight. Yeah, it's just correlational evidence, but, at least my body thinks that sleep is a VERY important part of good health. :sleep:

It's harder to lose weight than it is to keep it off (at least according to my old ochem prof, who seemed to have proof of this), so I would think family medicine docs/ RNs should play a large part in getting their patients to assimilate healthy choices early in life.

everything in moderation. i didn't eat french fries for years... then one night i had a dream about them, and that was the end of that phase. i'm a pilates instructor, dancer, i run and swim, and i eat fairly healthy (no white food, i try...). but i LOVE chocolate!

KAR said:
Hey,

I was just wondering what importance all of us future doctors place on our own health: essentially exercise and diet.

Personally, I'm a health freak. I lift weights, run, cycle, swim, do plyometrics, play a variety of sports. Diet-wise, I haven't eaten french fries in years, hardly drink soda, no potato chips, take my multi-vitamin every day, etc.

The reason I brought this up is because I remember a report on a medical convention (don't remember what) where the president of the group said that he and his fellow doctors needed to be examples to their patients by losing weight. Just thought I'd see what what other people were doing out there.

I was once overweight but lost over 100 pounds, have kept the weight off for 6 years, and am always getting more muscular and in better shape (unlike some people). I eat health and lift weights, and sometime do cardio (if I am focusing on building muscle I dont worry about cardio and am less strict with my diet but eat healthy).

People should eat healthy and get exercise for the own health for one thing. As far as being an example to their patients goes, it will make a difference (people are less likely to listen to a fat person in any case, and fat people are less likely to be healthy in many regards), but it especially makes a differnce if you tell patients to lose weight (not all docs will have to do that obviously). If a fat person tells you how to lose weight you will think one of two things: yeah right, like you actually do that yourself or you do that so obviously it doesnt work.

Have you ever seen Pumping Iron. Please tell me at least one person can recognize exactly were my signature comes from without me telling them.

Stitch626 said:

BTW, I'm sure someone will argue this - but you don't need to take a muti-vitamin if you are eating a balanced diet with sufficient fruit/veggies. They're harsh on your liver and kidneys. Plus, the absorption of some minerals/vitamins negate the absorption of others.

Yes, getting vitamins and minerals from food is much better.

I especially stay away from all the other bodybuilding supplements, 99% of which are 100% crap, and the rest of which help only slightly and are useless if you diet and exercise regimen are not down right.

If you are a hardcore bodybuilder you might actually need a multi vitamin (I'm sure Ronnie Coleman does, although I am sure he takes a lot more than that), but you are definitely right that most people don't.

KAR said:
Hey,

Interesting that you bring this up. I just had my first medical school interview last Friday, and as part of the response to the interviewer's first question "Tell me about yourself," I mentioned how I like sports and fitness activities, played sports in high school and college intramural, etc. I also mentioned some of the classes I took in grad school, one of which was medical nutrition. The interviewer told me a few minutes later about how he can appreciate the fact that I am into exercise and that I have a background in nutrition, because obesity is becoming more prevalent in our society. Furthermore, many diseases are controllable, or preventable altogether, with proper diet and adequate exercise. I followed up with the fact that, along these same lines, preventative medicine is becoming more recognized and incorporated into medicine. So I think it can certainly work to an applicant's advantage to point out some of their own healthy habits, since many patients see their doctors as not only healthcare providers, but role models as well.

TheProwler said:
Well, I'm not that much of a health nut as the OP, but I pump iron rather often (about to leave to do squats). I've gained a lot of lean body mass since I started college (115 --> 160 pounds), and I'd like to gain even more.

Damn, how tall are you?

Jeffy said:
Damn, how tall are you?

That's what I was wondering, seeing as he started at 115.

I have always been one of those tall (5'10) skinny chicks who can eat like a horse without gaining an ounce.

However, since college started and my lifestyle has become more studying = less exercising I have started to notice...er... changes. So recently I have decided to do something about this and I went to Amazon.com and bought myself (wait for it) the complete DVD set of the 8 Minute workout series (Abs, Arms, Buns, and Legs)!

Sure, you may say the film is outdated. You may even say that the host is nothing more than a steroid-pumped referee in spandex (you'll understand if you see his, um, "costume"), but I'm telling you that this stuff works!

It's perfect for those in our situation when it's tough to set aside time for exercising on a daily basis and even though it's "only 8 minutes", you really feel the burn and see quick results. There is also an extra feature of 20 minutes of cardio kickboxing which is a lot of fun. I HIGHLY recommend this! :)

And as for diet, I'm sticking to the "everything in moderation" theory (regardless of what my avatar may tell you); the only thing I have done without is pop (In Buffalo pop = soda). Good luck everyone! :)

iamgoaloriented said:
Have you ever seen Pumping Iron. Please tell me at least one person can recognize exactly were my signature comes from without me telling them.

Ha, I've seen that clip even though I haven't seen the movie. I was hoping to see it be used when he was campaigning to replace the governor. Pretty funny.

Nice work on the weight loss. I met a guy in college who had lost 120 lbs (280 to 160) over 15 months. I didn't believe him until he showed me the pictures. He had an interesting thing happen to him as he lost the weight. His shoe size dropped from 13 to 10.5 and he lost an inch in height, 5'9" to 5'8". Pretty cool story. The reason that he lost the weight was because his doctor told him that if he didn't do something he'd be dead by 30.

You guys are all so inspirational! Over the course of 3 years, I lost about 55 pounds. I was exercising (jogging, stationary-biking, weight training) and trying to stay active (mowing the lawn, walking, etc)...

Plus I went on Atkins. I'm starting to think different diets work for different people because NOTHING worked for me until I did Atkins. I felt great... I was only 10 lbs away from my ideal weight.

Then, I got so busy I could no longer find time to exercise... and I was eating on the run (fast food meals). Well, I'm ashamed to say I've gained ab out half of it back over a year! Ugh!

I'm going to get back on my program--I want to feel healthy and strong when I start med school!!

I'm also a health freak. Wasn't always, but am now. I'm a little worried about how my lifestyle will change in med school. I mean, I know I will just have to "find the time" to workout, but I imagine I will have to cut down my routine to fit in on some rotations...I can't imagine working out like I do now and also working 80 hours a week

The New York City Ballet workout is also a great choice. When I was motivated and I gave a damn, I used it...and saw immediate results.

Now my husband and I are doing this diet (not so much a diet as a lifestyle change). We get 5 balanced meals a day, but they are small portions (well, smaller than your average American portion size). Caloric intake is approx 1500-1600/day. The whole point is too keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day in order too avoid cravings and binging. This our first week, but I already feel much more energized and I don't get those afternoon sugar lows like I used to.

It's difficult to keep up with your body when you got all this med school application nonsense hanging over your head, but I just feel like I need to do what I can to be healthy. Otherwise I'd be a hypocrit in telling others how to keep up their health.

rockstar2525 said:
I'm also a health freak. Wasn't always, but am now. I'm a little worried about how my lifestyle will change in med school. I mean, I know I will just have to "find the time" to workout, but I imagine I will have to cut down my routine to fit in on some rotations...I can't imagine working out like I do now and also working 80 hours a week

I'm concerned about this also, but I figure that I'll just have to find the time. I've met a couple people (1st and 2nd years) who just skip lectures to workout. I can see myself doing this because I generally only absorb 10% of the material during a lecture. Better to spend my time doing productive things that make me feel good.

LanceP97 said:
You are so the person we scowl at... one of those "skat" people (aka.. skinny when they should be fat) I'm just teasing.. I'd be stoked if I could eat whatever I wanted and be a skinny mini! :)

:laugh:

Stitch626 said:

Yeah, I've taken this into consideration. If I had the time and money to plan every one of my meals, I probably wouldn't take it. I'm also concerned, as iamgoaloriented pointed out, about the additional needs that someone who is very active has.

NeuroChicMD said:
However, since college started and my lifestyle has become more studying = less exercising I have started to notice...er... changes.

I think most college students' lifestyles would be-- More internet+chatting+watching tv+sleeping past noon+partying = less exercising + Large Amounts of Lard.

I'm not commenting on you because I don't know your life, but I have never met a college student who has not wasted at least 10 hours/week doing these four activities.

KAR said:
I think most college students' lifestyles would be-- More internet+chatting+watching tv+sleeping past noon+partying = less exercising + Large Amounts of Lard.

I'm not commenting on you because I don't know your life, but I have never met a college student who has not wasted at least 10 hours/week doing these four activities.

You took the words right out of my mouth. :p

KAR said:
Ha, I've seen that clip even though I haven't seen the movie. I was hoping to see it be used when he was campaigning to replace the governor. Pretty funny.

Nice work on the weight loss. I met a guy in college who had lost 120 lbs (280 to 160) over 15 months. I didn't believe him until he showed me the pictures. He had an interesting thing happen to him as he lost the weight. His shoe size dropped from 13 to 10.5 and he lost an inch in height, 5'9" to 5'8". Pretty cool story. The reason that he lost the weight was because his doctor told him that if he didn't do something he'd be dead by 30.

I used to wear size 13 shoes and now wear 12. But a 13 to a 10.5? Your friend must have had some chubby feet. I once wore size 52 pants and know usually wear 34, can fit into some 32s but 34 is more comfortable.

I am 6'3" and went from 294 to 193. Over the years why weight has more or less stayed the same but I have slowly become leaner and more musular. I don't even bother to weigh myself anymore but am probably 190-200.

Now that I am med school interviewing and usually mentioning my weight loss experience (I am thinking about doing MD/MPH), I sometime feel the need to get in even better shape because not being in the best possible shape makes me feel a little guilty when I am doing all of this preaching. I had a lot of trouble putting on muscle after I lost weight because I was so worried about gaining it back, but if you want to get big you have to eat enough, so for the last couple years I've just been focusing on trying to get big but not fat in the process. Now I am thinking that seeing those abs is something I should work on now, not later.

MsEvolution said:
You guys are all so inspirational! Over the course of 3 years, I lost about 55 pounds. I was exercising (jogging, stationary-biking, weight training) and trying to stay active (mowing the lawn, walking, etc)...

Plus I went on Atkins. I'm starting to think different diets work for different people because NOTHING worked for me until I did Atkins. I felt great... I was only 10 lbs away from my ideal weight.

Then, I got so busy I could no longer find time to exercise... and I was eating on the run (fast food meals). Well, I'm ashamed to say I've gained ab out half of it back over a year! Ugh!

I'm going to get back on my program--I want to feel healthy and strong when I start med school!!

Atkins is crap in my opinion.

Low carb diets are popular for two reasons: 1) they allow you to lose weight as fast as possible (notice that I said weight, not fat) and 2) it is easier to stick to than most other diets, for a short period of time at least, and as long as people cant stick to something else they will be willing to try something that seems easier.

When you go on a low carb diet you will immmediately lose a lot of water. Although it is motivating to see the weight on the scale go down, this is USELESS. You will still be just as fat as you were when you had more water in you.

If you stick to a low carb diet for a long period of time you will almost surely lose muscle. Again, it is nice to see the weight on the scale go down, but this is HORRIBLE. One of the reasons people yo yo diet and get fatter each time they yo yo (the main reason I will describe next) is because when they lose weight they lose muscle, which slows your metabolism, making it harder to lose more weight and easier to gain it back, and when they do gain the weight back it is all fat. In addition to making you less healthy, losing muscle will also make you less attractive (which is why most people want to lose weight truthfully).

Another reason why a low carb diet is horrible is that it is something that people are not gonna stick to for very long (eating lots of steak and bacon is fine for a couple days, but it will drive you nuts eventually, which is actually a good thing because the diet is bad for you anyway), which brings me to the number 1 reason why people cant keep off the weight they lose. Most people who go on a diet/exercise regimen quit after not very long and go back to the lifestyle that made them fat in the first place, so why on earth would it not make you fat again? In fact, since you probably lost muscle for undernourishing yourself and doing way too much cardio and not enough strength training, since you now have a slower metabolism you will end up even fatter than you were before you started the diet.

And people blame genetics (if anyone wants me to get started on that you just might have to looks at three pages just to read my one post).

A lot of people say that its a shame that Atkins died from falling of his horse, because they wanted to prove that his diet would eventually kill him.

If it works for you though, but all mean do it. Just make sure that you are actually losing fat and not just muscle and water, and make sure that it is truly making you look and feel better about yourself. If it is doing those things for you then by all mean ignore me.

I am going to stop now because when I start ranting about weight loss I dont stop.

I definitely struggle to do the recommended 30 minute cardiovascular 3 times a week. it's so hard with a full time job now because its dark when i leave work. so i try to get up BEFORE work to go running. and there are just some days when 6:30 am is just too freaking early. but i always try to remind myself that running around the block is better than nothing...and then once i get out there, i usually end up doing the whole 30 minutes. i'm also always surprised how much more energy i have to get through the rest of the day. exercise rocks.
personally i think it will be much easier to be consistent in med school since i'll have access to a gym and won't have to sit at a desk for 8 hours a day.

I drink alot of beer. Beer is food isn't it? :laugh:

i run in the dark when i get home. i just end up trying to be safe by wearing light-colored shirts, not wearing headphones, and only jogging around the two-block radius around my house (i do two laps).

i think i'm unfortunately one of the "skat" people that others referred to. i spent most of my life eating whatever i want and still staying skinny. though - i think skat people end up having more problems losing weight when they get older. i never had to learn self-control or good eating habits, so now that my metabolism is slowing down - its a problem. gaining 5 pounds isn't that much, but gaining 5 pounds ONLY AROUND YOUR STOMACH translates to a lot of inches. i fluctuate between a size 4 and 8 (women's) between summer and winter.

getting myself to exercise is also hard. i generally go to hiphop class at a local dance studio once a week and try to run twice around the block, twice a week. it's usually a regimen i spend about 20 minutes making up when i should be working on applications, and one that idon't follow very closely anyway =).

I try to be consistent, especially after having spent the last year doing a post-bac and realizing how yucky I feel when not exercizing.

I tend to fluctuate between going to the gym every other day, or two days on, one day off. I do 40 minutes of cardio then some sort of weight lifting (either arms or legs). My patience for weight lifting is limited though, it seems like self-inflicted torture most of the time :p After all that, I do 100 crunches, stretch, chug some water and I'm good until next time.

I suppose you can say I'm a "skat" as well. BUT, the metabolism has most definately slowed down over the years. I think my avid involvement in sports helped keep the fat in check, but then college hit and I did NOTHING, then working full-time....what do you mean I have to go to the gym in my free time? It's a nice little stress relief for me now. I still can't say I look forward to it but I do look forward to the feeling of relief and contendedness that I get afterwards.

Khenon said:
I drink alot of beer. Beer is food isn't it? :laugh:

No, its not, so you can drink as much beer as you want and still be able to say that you eat a perfect diet.

Being a PA guy I have a particular love for yuengling, although its pretty rare that I have a beer seing that I am into this healthy lifestyle thing.

iamgoaloriented said:
Atkins is crap in my opinion.

I completely agree.

iamgoaloriented said:
And people blame genetics (if anyone wants me to get started on that you just might have to looks at three pages just to read my one post).

ha, this is funny. I've really flip-flopped with my opinion on this. I used to cut people who lost the genetic lottery some slack, but I don't anymore. Nobody is ever forced to stuff themselves, eat crap food all of the time, or be ignorant of what they are eating. So now I'm back to what I originally thought. Bad genes just means you have to work a little harder, but you can still be healthy.

I love it when people blame genetics on the fattening of America also. There is no genetic change that is creating the obesity epidemic that is occurring. The pic that I attached to this shows this, but it may be difficult to read.

Attachments

• fat.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 159
KAR said:
I completely agree.

ha, this is funny. I've really flip-flopped with my opinion on this. I used to cut people who lost the genetic lottery some slack, but I don't anymore. Nobody is ever forced to stuff themselves, eat crap food all of the time, or be ignorant of what they are eating. So now I'm back to what I originally think. Bad genes just means you have to work a little harder, but you can still be healthy.

I love it when people blame genetics on the fattening of America also. There is no genetic change that is creating the obesity epidemic that is occurring. The pic that I attached to this shows this, but it may be difficult to read.

Definitely.

If genetics was such the dominant factor, then Americans would have been fat all along, not just in the last 20-30 years, a time during which our genes have not changed but our lifestyle has (a lifestyle that also happens to be completely consistent with our weight gain).

I heard somewhere that they say it is 1/3 genetics (not sure if they shoved a bunch of numbers up their ass and just pulled one out or what, how the hell can you quantify motivation and effort), but even if that is so, then its 2/3 behavior and behavior is twice as important as genetics now, isnt it.

There are two reasons why people tend to favor the genetic explanation. For one thing, people would rather think they cant help being fat rather than it being in their control, so they dont have to feel bad about not trying hard enough to fix it (if that sounds harsh believe me I understand that it is hard, I have done it, but you have to take responsibility and control over the things that you are able to, for your own sake). The other is arrogance (not necessarily of the worst kind).

To illustrate, consider two books that I have read. The Zone by Barry Sears (I liked the idea of the diet until he made one for dogs, eating such a low calorie diet made me skeptical, but after the Canine Zone I just couldnt take that guy seriously) and The Promise of Sleep by William Dement. Barry Sears says that we eat too much carb, too little fat, out insulin levels are out of whack, no wonder why Americans have such a high rate of heart disease. William Dement says that we have enormous sleep debts that we need to be paying off, it is wreacking havoc on our bodies, no wonder why Americans have such a high rate of heart disease.

Could both sleep and diet have something to do with the quality of a persons health? These two very briliant men seem to ignore the obvious, either because they are blinded by their arrogance, or they are so focus on the ridiculos detail of what they are studying that they are failing to see the big picture.

Unfortunatley, it is human nature to believe that what one is good at has more inherent value that what another is good at, and you dont even have to be a jerk to think that. Even if a doctor/scientist truly wants to help people, he/she is inclined to think that they are the one who is gonna do it and that their research, their field, and their topic is what is really going to do it (I wonder if perhaps scientist think other variables arent contributing to what they are studying is because they keep them constant, unless they cant keep them constant which is probably the case when dealing with people anyway). That is why scientists, doctors, and even students in these fields have a tendecy to favor the genetic argument, seeing that it is their field, what they are good at, and what they have to offer.

Another thing about genetics and obesity. I used to work with patients that have Prader-Willi syndrome, and I saw them lose weight before my eyes by modifying their lifestyle (actually, they might have also been on drugs I didnt know about, but still they lost weight). If someone with Prader-Willi's can lose weight (granted they are forced to), what the hell is America's problem. It's not their genes.

Yet another thing. I remember a so called expert (seeing that so called experts disagree on all sorts of things, and if two theories are in conflict with one another either one is wrong or they are both wrong, there are necessarily many experts wrong about all kinds of things) saying that the Pima indians of Arizona unquestionably have a genetic disease, yet the Pima or Mexico (as well as the Pima in the past) are normal. Tell me this: lets just say that you have two people, Bob and Jim, who eat somewhat similar diets, but Bob is fat and Jim is nomral weigh, and the difference was because of some kind of genetic defect (involving God knows how many genes and gene products). Who has the defect? Aren't people who eat too much and sit around on their butts supposed to get fat? Doesnt Jim have the true defect, because had he lived in the Ice Age he would have died (Bobs genes are doing the job they were designed to do, the trouble is that the genes that were good 10,000 years ago arent so wonderful to have nowadays). Environmental factors clearly can contibute to and cause disease, but does it also determine how we define disease now? What a disease yesterday is a good thing tomorrow. What made one fit yesterday is a disease today.

iamgoaloriented said:
To illustrate, consider two books that I have read. The Zone by Barry Sears (I liked the idea of the diet until he made one for dogs, eating such a low calorie diet made me skeptical, but after the Canine Zone I just couldnt take that guy seriously) and The Promise of Sleep by William Dement.

I saw one of the best abuses of this fitness craze the other day. I was watching this guy try to sell his new book called the obesity myth or some crap like that. Anyway, he basically markets his book by saying being overweight is fine, you don't have to lose "weight". He makes examples of this by saying, Brad Pitt has a BMI of 26.5 and he's classified as overweight and using other such examples, see the government and doctors are crazy. His final message is that people don't need to lose weight, they need to lose body fat. What a useful and informative message.

iamgoaloriented said:
Definitely.
Another thing about genetics and obesity. I used to work with patients that have Prader-Willi syndrome, and I saw them lose weight before my eyes by modifying their lifestyle (actually, they might have also been on drugs I didnt know about, but still they lost weight). If someone with Prader-Willi's can lose weight (granted they are forced to), what the hell is America's problem. It's not their genes.

I read about Prader-Willi a while ago and that is definitely losing the genetic lottery in the worst type of way. It sounded like every body perception issue come true. That's a tough life.

KAR said:
I saw one of the best abuses of this fitness craze the other day. I was watching this guy try to sell his new book called the obesity myth or some crap like that. Anyway, he basically markets his book by saying being overweight is fine, you don't have to lose "weight". He makes examples of this by saying, Brad Pitt has a BMI of 26.5 and he's classified as overweight and using other such examples, see the government and doctors are crazy. His final message is that people don't need to lose weight, they need to lose body fat. What a useful and informative message.

I read about Prader-Willi a while ago and that is definitely losing the genetic lottery in the worst type of way. It sounded like every body perception issue come true. That's a tough life.

NO, dont start talking about BMI's. It makes me want to jump out of a window (if you ask me, it sacrifices meaning and significance for the sake of apparent objectivity).

In his prime Arnold Schwarzenegger was morbidly obese you know. Funny thing is, I wonder if people who have lost a lot of weight, much of it being muscle (say someone who has undergone gastric bypass surgery) might actually obtain a nomral BMI but still be too fat.

The guy in the book you are talking about is trying to take advantage of this point, but it looks like he is using it horribly. Seems like the kind of thing that will sell but not help anyone.

Yeah, those kids with Prader-Willi's have it tough. After having worked with them, I felt like thinking that I was unfortunate for being overweight as a kid (it wasnt completely my fault, and even if it was I was too little to know better) and complaining that it was hard made me a huge a$$hole. What I went through, and what almost everyone goes though, is insignificant in comparison. They were so fun to work with though (I used to play cards, go swimming, go bowling, play games with them, and help them with their homework - when we played clue I would cheat), and they manage to have a lot of fun and be happy sometimes. I would work until 9 on a friday night and stay till 10 even though I didnt get paid for it because it was so fun.

iamgoaloriented said:
I would work until 9 on a friday night and stay till 10 even though I didnt get paid for it because it was so fun.

Impressive story.

Nice thread. I have worked out and been very active on and off my whole life. Played volleyball in high school, but then didn't make the team in college and gained a lot of weight (like many of my classmates) because my eating habits were not-great, and I didn't have a regular exercise routine. As a working adult, I go through phases....sometimes I go to the gym 5-6 times per week, and then I'll go months without going.

Now that I know that I'm going to school in the fall, this is something that I've been thinking about a lot. I am trying to get into a good routine, because I think it will really help to me level-headed during medical school and ease some of the stress. Recently, I've gotten really into running (I've never been a runner, but I actually really enjoy it now.....).....I find that it's super relaxing and grounding. Was even thinking about training for a race before school starts.

Trying to get into the best possible pattern with the hopes of continuing the habit in medical school -- sure, it will take time from my schedule, but I believe that I will be more focused and be a better student as a result. Not to mention a better example to my patients eventually.

jeffsleepy said:

lol...my uncle is a cardiologist, and he used to be quite a bit overweight. Then at some point he just decided to lose it, and when I came home to visit one summer he was thin! Apparently his patients respect him for it and have asked for advice on how to do that themselves, so that's cool. He certainly knew what kind of damage he was doing to himself by remaining overweight, which is what pushed him to change anyway.

Myself, I'm very health conscious, but not to the extend the OP describes. I've always been active in sports, specifically, since I was young, running. In the winter when I can't run because of ice on the ground I use the elliptical trainer, but running is the most fun for me, and I do it for emotional health as well as physical. I try to keep a healthy diet, but I love sweets and I don't deny myself. My attitude is to eat as healthily as possible, but I'm only going to live once, so I might as well enjoy the things I love.

The interesting thing, to me, is that I see a lot of doctors at local races, including the local marathon. I think a dedicated personality, which is common in doctors, also benefits somebody who wants to do something like run a marathon.

OMGGGGG
i need to get at least 2.5hrs of cardio a day or else i freak (xcept for sundays, thats my day off, & i just do 1.5hrs of yoga)
but this is REALLY the only thing i'm concerned about during med school
right now i work 9-5 so i have to get up every morning at 5:30am to get my xcercise in; im really hoping ill have time for it in med school, cuz really, if i get fat, i'm done w/ the MD thing

melimi said:
OMGGGGG
i need to get at least 2.5hrs of cardio a day or else i freak (xcept for sundays, thats my day off, & i just do 1.5hrs of yoga)
but this is REALLY the only thing i'm concerned about during med school
right now i work 9-5 so i have to get up every morning at 5:30am to get my xcercise in; im really hoping ill have time for it in med school, cuz really, if i get fat, i'm done w/ the MD thing

2.5 hours of cardio a day! That's a huge inspiration!! Hats off to you. What kind of cardio? Do you work out mostly at the gym or outside.....5:30!! I've never been able to do the morning thing.

In response to another poster, I work at a hospital, and there are always 3-4 doctors each year (just in our unit) that do the marathon! I've always taken note of that. Doctors that aren't even in particularly good shape or you would think of as being athletic do the marathon and just take it slow! Someday, I'd like to do a half-marathon maybe! I think a full marathon is a little insane....but maybe someday I'll change my mind.

kc123 said:
2.5 hours of cardio a day! That's a huge inspiration!! Hats off to you. What kind of cardio? Do you work out mostly at the gym or outside.....5:30!! I've never been able to do the morning thing.

In response to another poster, I work at a hospital, and there are always 3-4 doctors each year (just in our unit) that do the marathon! I've always taken note of that. Doctors that aren't even in particularly good shape or you would think of as being athletic do the marathon and just take it slow! Someday, I'd like to do a half-marathon maybe! I think a full marathon is a little insane....but maybe someday I'll change my mind.

1hr x-trainer, 1hr running, .5hrs stairs (ive got mad nice legs, jejejeje)
i do all at the gym right now cuz its too cold for me to run outside, my lungs would collapse, but hopefully ill be back on the charles come spring