Your favourite stress-related technique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt10

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I work as a psychologist in a general hospital in Slovenia and I'm conducting a stress-management workshop for people suffering from stress. I plan 4 x 90min meetings. My goal is to provide practical and successful techniques people can use in everyday situations.
Apart from books, I have read many articles on managing stress. Techniques that are mentioned are usually repeated (breathing, setting priorities, making time for yourself,...). I didn't really get that many different ideas.

So I would like to ask you (professionals or non-professionals): what is your favourite technique for dealing with stress? What worked best for you (or your patients)?

Any idea is appreciated, no wrong answers here!
smile.gif

Thanks,
Matt.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question. I don't think I have a favorite, but I have several options that I enjoy and I choose based on how much time I have and cost. If I have a bit of money to spare nothing beats a weekend away. When finances are tight I enjoy meditating, acupuncture (I found a practitioner that works by donation during designated times), and aromatherapy.

My clients seem to prefer yoga or interacting with their pets.

For me, the main two are:
  1. Exercise. Not just working out when I'm stressed, but making daily (or almost daily) exercise a habit that my body and mind have come to expect.
  2. Learning and practicing organizational and prioritization techniques. Usually at least a portion of the stress I'm experiencing is due to simply being disorganized or feeling like I have way too much to tackle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time outside with nature, reading for pleasure, and creative endeavors such as music/art/writing, etc. are some additional ideas. Clients generally find that exercise is very helpful. Journaling could go either way in terms of whether it helps with stress (expressing thoughts and "getting them out") vs. bringing up deeper emotions that are unpleasant to sit with, so that one is sort of a toss-up in terms of whether it reduces stress in the short term.

Reactions: 1 user
When I feel stress the act of laughing helps my body to fight stress in many ways. I take up a relaxation practice. I also take such relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing to activate the body's relaxation response, it is a state of restfulness that is the opposite of the fight or flight or mobilization stress response.

When I feel stress the act of laughing helps my body to fight stress in many ways. I take up a relaxation practice. I also take such relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing to activate the body's relaxation response, it is a state of restfulness that is the opposite of the fight or flight or mobilization stress response.
I love the way how you fight stress! Currently, I am having a hard time doing yoga & some meditation at my 1st trimester pregnancy as I'm suffering morning&evening sickness which I can't really manage to do so. :(