Your future might be bright - MD Phs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
As part of my search for eMaterials to evaluate my faculty career, I stumbled on this at the AAMC website:

https://services.aamc.org/Publications/showfile.cfm?file=version102.pdf&prd_id=211&prv_id=255&pdf_id=102

From the abstract:

"Results: Most (68%) responding clinical departments reported having openings for junior physician investigators in POR, totaling 2,097 positions. Slightly more than half (52%) of the departments with openings were not able to fill all their positions, and 27 percent of all openings went unfilled. Conclusions: The data provide a quantitative estimate of the shortage of physician investigators in POR during 2002–2004, underscore the troubling role of attrition and high turnover rates ..."

Thus, there are jobs awaiting, but why the "high turnover rates"? That is the reason for "might be" on my title.

Members don't see this ad.

In the department I work in (one of the tops in my clinical area) there's plenty of spots for junior faculty who might want a spot with no tenure track, no startup funds, and if you're MD/PhD, a high pressure to do clinical work and not research. You'll probably get a desk in a large, open, shared space, shared benches, and you'll have to apply and practically beg through multiple committees and accountants to use most of the equipment. You'll get 3 years of 50% protected research time that will get eaten into and then when you don't succeed because you didn't have any of the time or equipment you needed to possibly succeed, you'll be told to do more clinical work or leave. Did I mention you'll make about 1/2 - 1/3 of what you'll make in private practice for about the same amount of work? Sounds great to me :thumbup:

PS: I only thought grad students were up this late? Another 14 hour day :D

If you want to succeed, you should not take a bad opportunity. There are many MDPhD jobs between the coasts. When I finished my fellowship at Duke, 10 yrs ago, I got offered a job like you described. Instead, I took a job that paid almost twice as much and 150K of startup (modic for today's standards). I eventually got a K08, and subsequently have R01 and other moneys. It pays to work hard.