Your Impressions of Top 20 Schools from Visiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to pick about 5-10 reach schools to apply to this summer, and I am interested to see what you people who have visited for interviews at top 20 schools think about them. I have the MSAR, so I have basic information about them all, but I would like to hear any schools that you were really impressed by or that weren't everything you thought they would be.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to think about where you would want to live and then what type of learning environment you would like. I think pass/fail and matching is much more important than curriculum. Youre going to get where you want to go in any of the top 20-25 schools.

I dont know if others would agree but I really thought U Chicago was very nice and perhaps underrated. The research opprtunities are unbelievable, the clinical training is great, and most of all, the administration and students are the most cooperative group I have seen. The admissions office goes out of their way to respect you as a person and that is reflected in the class that they select. It was refreshing to see a school less pretentious as yale or columbia but still just as strong in my opinion. There is an enthusiastic approach to not just medicine but other areas of interest as well. The dual degree programs are very attractive and the p/f system is a huge plus. Finally, the match list is amazing, which shows the respect that residency directors have for the U Chicago students. I think this school should be ranked in the top ten-15 for sure.

I though Columbia was kind of disappointing but it is still a very good school. The area is not so hot, the dorms are kind of crummy, and the admissions process with notes and playing rugby and all is kind of a turn off.

willthatsall said:
I am trying to pick about 5-10 reach schools to apply to this summer, and I am interested to see what you people who have visited for interviews at top 20 schools think about them. I have the MSAR, so I have basic information about them all, but I would like to hear any schools that you were really impressed by or that weren't everything you thought they would be.

I interviewed at Duke, and I really liked the school (particularly the way the curriculum is set up). You should consider applying there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've posted before that I was really impressed with Wash U. Everyone I met there was incredibly nice. People (residents/fellows) saw my suit and talked to me in the elevators about their impressions of the place. I couldn't find one building and stopped a hurried-looking doctor in the street to ask directions. Not only did he help, he took the time to go in the building with me and ask the receptionist to make sure I had the right place. On the light rail to the airport, we were discussing the fact that we weren't sure which terminal to go to, and random people overheard us and helped us out. Basically it just seemed like a really welcoming place, and St. Louis was much nicer than I expected.

Columbia seemed a little less welcoming - I tried to go in the wrong door of the hospital (it was cold and I wanted to get inside) and couldn't get in since I didn't belong there, which is fine, but the guard wasn't especially nice about it. And our tour guide was not enthusiastic. However, the students I talked to were all very cool, and my interviewer was awesome. I had one of the least-impressive undergrads of the people in my group, and felt a little Ivy envy. I asked one tour guide about living in the city, is it affordable, etc., and he said he had an apartment someplace cool in Manhattan (can't remember where now) and drove to school every day - parking was "only" a hundred or two bucks a month. I obviously don't want to judge the whole school by one spoiled student, though.

I was surprised at how much I liked Hopkins (even though they eventually rejected me!). The students were nice and pretty relaxed; they didn't seem overstressed as I'd expected. I think I was surprised at how nice the staff was, too, considering how many students are vying for a position there.

I thought the University of Virginia was top 20 but after checking, that appears not to be the case. Anyway, I was not as impressed there. My question of the day (that I asked a bunch of people) was: how possible is it to work a little during med school? (I'm talking teaching for Kaplan a couple times a month or something, not trying to work full-time.) The uniform response was: you can't do it, you have no time for anything other than studying, don't even think about it. This in contrast to the Wash U people who said sure, you can do whatever you want, you'll figure out what works for you. So I wasn't about to set my sights on the school where supposedly you do nothing besides study, and I didn't really feel like I'd fit in with the overall culture, either. The financial aid people were super nice, though, and the lunch was excellent.

My impressions:

Duke: Awesome school. Great curriculum. Some students there were stuck up jerkoffs...though I'm sure it was just my luck of the draw on who came into the Admissions office. The location somewhat blows too.

UCSF: Awesome school...kind of run down and old but the students there were all amazing/humble/nice..SF is the best city in the country. Somewhat of an older/more mature crowd.

Stanford: Amazing research institution...cool buildings....cool students. Insane amounts of financial aid. Students on the tour barely knew their way around the hospital(and stanford hospital is not confusing at all)...meaning they don't get that much clinical their first year.

UCLA: Nice place..crappy interview day because you really don't get to do much or meet with many people. Living in L.A. is hell. The class doesn't seem as cohesive as some other ones.

UCSD: It is crazy that at such a beautiful place the students could be so miserable...but that is what I found.

Vandy: Fun location, Fun students...seems like a fun school. Lots of lecture but they claim it works cuz they have the highest board scores.

willthatsall said:

It's really hard to respond to your post because everyone is different...some schools just feel right for certain people and some don't. But, here are some of my impressions:

WashU-St. Louis--I came in expecting to be really impressed but wasn't. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. They do spend a lot of money on you though (give you little clock, provide a room in the dorm, take you to a nice lunch where you actually get to order from a MENU which is the most exciting thing in the world when you're used to bag lunches with roast beef sandwiches and chips). I think it's a great school, but just didn't feel like the right place for me. The students were all very nice though.

Penn--I REALLY liked this school. I was very impressed with the facilities and everything they had to say. Everyone else I know that interviewed there also seemed to love the school.

Hopkins--I did post-bacc at Hopkins and developed a hatred for Baltimore while there, so I already had it out for them. I wasn't impressed by anything at all, but I may be the only one who feels that way. I also was involved in research at the med school before interviewing and was turned off by the lab politics. It's the only place I wish I'd saved my money and not applied.

Pitt--LOVED Pitt. The WISER simulation center is very cool and you won't see anything like it at any other school. Also, Pitt has very nice research facilities. Definitely a school worth taking a look at.

Case Western--I came in with no expectations and they blew me away on the interview day. The admissions folks and dean have a really great attitude about medical education and their vision of the school in the future. I was very impressed. I realize they just now broke into the Top 20, but I was seriously considering attending there over Penn or WashU. Then, Pitt gave me an acceptance and money and made my decision making a lot easier.

Hope this helps...good luck with everything!

I forgot Pitt. My interview day there was kind of hard to gauge, because I was late (got lost on the way) and thus stressed. The WISER center was awesome. I didn't feel like I clicked with the few students I got to meet, but obviously that's a very personal thing. My faculty interviewer was awesome - we talked about really interesting stuff (I shared a little about some personal struggles I'd gone through, and she was very interested in my perspective on the relevant issues) and she gave me excellent career advice. I probably won't end up going there because it's too expensive, and I clicked more elsewhere, but if things worked out differently I'd definitely be happy there.

Kateroni18 said:
It's really hard to respond to your post because everyone is different...some schools just feel right for certain people and some don't.

Yeah I know, I just wanted some impressions and I know there are tons of good students on this board who have been to a lot of schools.

Vanderbilt - Nice, relaxed, students seemed happy, but had a very traditional curriculum.

Pitt - Came highly recommended from friends, and it was awesome. Great students, supportive faculty, but the administration a bit of an inferiority complex.

Michigan - Did a great job selling the school during the day, but I got a pretty negative impression. Like to emphasize over and over that they are "rated second by your future employers" (residency directors). Wouldn't recommend at all.

Baylor - Good school, lots of TX students. Pretty big class size too.

Johns Hopkins - Sucks butt. Their institutional malignancy is evident from the "competitive mingling" that you go through during the interview day among other things. Disliked almost every student I met - seems to be a place where either you fit in or you don't. On the plus side there is a premium put on teaching and the faculty seem very willing to help out students. I just hated it passionately, and I know many people who I met at other interviews who felt the same way.

Columbia - I liked it a lot, although they don't put in much of an effort in telling you much about the school. Interesting surrounding community, excited and driven students, and great research opportunities.

Stanford - I liked this place a lot. Has the happiest students (along with Yale) and a really customizable education. Socially conscious, great location, and great students.

Penn - Great school, and did a great job selling it. Students seem happy and administration is supportive.

Duke - See Hopkins. Not as bad, but still sucks butt. Third year for research is a big plus if that is what you are looking for.

Harvard - Great school, exactly what you would expect. NP is a bit unstructured if that isn't your thing, and the HST students are a bit smart/intense if that isn't your thing, but I thought it was great.

WashU - Everyone is very friendly, although I didn't like the buildings (shallow, I know). Great place I think.

Yale - Totally sweet. Perfect place for laid back people who are excited about medicine and who also have other interests that they want to keep up. Fully customizable education with a supportive faculty. Anonymous, optional "self-assessments" first two years may be a barrier for those who need the pressure of grades.

I would also recommend UChicago and NYU if you are looking for good research schools. They don't get the ranking they deserve from USNews, are well respected, and help you get going after you graduate.

HARVARD: Really impressed by the lack of stress first years had. I was there for 2 nights and during that time, my host did not once crack open a book, nor talked about cracking open a book. The hospitals are amazing. The students are really cool and very laid back, but also very determined and motivated to do things outside of medicine. I'm not a big fan of Boston, however, but many people are. . .

HOPKINS: Eh, mixed reviews. The interview day was annoying. You were basically interviewed the whole entire time you were there. The facilities were ok--really dark and dreary. And Baltimore is not the prettiest of cities. However, they make up for it by their amazing professors who are world renowned, by their cutting edge research, their outstanding matches. Also, the students said there wasn't that much competition. I find this hard to believe, since their grading system is not pure P/F, but Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail

CORNELL: A lot of money and it shows, especially when you see the plasma screen TVs in the Anatomy lab. The students are cool. The area (Upper Eastside) is nice. But NYC is expensive. I went there on a cold day and wasn't that impressed.

UMICH: Awesome! By far, one of my favorite interviews. Everyone, and I mean everyone was great! The facilities! The hospital! The students! The resources! The giant football stadium that's the largest in the country. Great matches. And, honestly--everyone WAS happy!

UCHICAGO: I agree. I think it is very underrated. Great school. Great univeristy (with a lot of potential for dual degree programs). Chicago is great! Students seemed really chill--i liked it.

VANDY: Not a big fan of Nashville. Not a big fan of the intense lecture time. But, the school is def. committed to enhancing the quality of life of medical students, and I appreciate their efforts.

MAYO: Not as highly ranked as it DESERVES to be. Honestly, based on what people say should be criterias for ranking schools, Mayo surpasses the majority. Professors, students, resources, matches, etc are superb. Only downside is that it's in Rochester, which is not a cosmopolitan city (but you can't win them all).

That's my two cents (and some change) :)

hopkins - met some of the craziest gunners ever there. unbelievable.
yale - nice place, i took a dump in one of their bathrooms, it was clean.
stanford - my interviewer apparently did not know how to speak english and had me explain my personal statement line by line.
michigan - nice place. felt good about the place after interview.
pitt - the admissions dean was dressed inappropriately in F me boots.
columbia - they do not pay royalties
ucla - neil parker couldn't pick a good applicant if his life depended on it
northwestern - is this place still top 20?

Kateroni18 said:
Pitt--LOVED Pitt. The WISER simulation center is very cool and you won't see anything like it at any other school. Also, Pitt has very nice research facilities. Definitely a school worth taking a look at.

Case Western--I came in with no expectations and they blew me away on the interview day. The admissions folks and dean have a really great attitude about medical education and their vision of the school in the future. I was very impressed. I realize they just now broke into the Top 20, but I was seriously considering attending there over Penn or WashU. Then, Pitt gave me an acceptance and money and made my decision making a lot easier.

Here I was about to post something about these two schools and you totally stole my thunder!!!

I thought Pitt and Case had a similar feel to them. Both schools seemed very forward thinking and don't hesitate to make changes if they think doing so will improve things.